The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2004, 06:34 AM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Gauges behind Bezel Install

I have had a lot of E-mails and P.M's on how to do this, So here we go.

First Off,,,,, This was not my idea !!! Thor50 who is/was a member of this board had his dash set up this way. Well as we do, we said show me yours, and I'll show you mine!! I was extremely impressed with the looks of this set up.. As most of you know, I'm not into stock, But this took a Stock appearance but yet the dependability, accuracy, and Racy look of Autometer. So I put it on my "TO DO" list. I hadn't planned on doing it at this time, But a few weeks ago I found out that Autometer is/has "discontinued" this size (3-3/8") in their line of Gauges. Now I had to put it up front.

All Gauges are Autometer, I don't know why another brand name wouldn't work as long as they are the same size as these.
The Speedometer is a "In Dash" 5", The Tachometer is a 5" Monster tach. I see no reason another 5" Autometer wouldn't work, Like the ones with The Shift Lights and Memory Built In.
The Center gauge is a 3-3/8" 5500 series. Like a 5505 for Oil Pressure, and a 5507 for a Water Temperature. I believe "if you can find one" the Fuel Level is 5514 for the 3-3/8" for G.M.

The Lower Four Gauges are all 2-5/8" There are a numerous number of different gauges you can have your choice of. I chose, Fuel level, Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, and Volts.

Let's get to the install.

You will need to of course take the Gauge cluster totally apart. Seperate the stock gauges from the Mounting plates. Once everything is seperated, You'll need to remove some material from the Green inside metal piece, This piece is needed to Center and hold the 5" gauges in place. Not only remove metal from where the gauges go through it, But a piece all around the outside edge . This piece slides over the 5" gauges and is the main retainer. As far as the Larger 5" gauges go We get lucky here, They will "SLIP FIT" right into the holes that are there.. Very nice Surprise !!!!

The next thing I did, And it's not absolutely necessary, I trimmed the Bezel on the outside of the round holes where the gauges slip over. This allows the gauges to seat down a little more and puts the face closer to the face of the Bezel IE: easier to see. There is also a Gussett that needs to be removed.
This is the Gussett,

This is the material I removed to seat the gauges better,Look at the upper outside edge, of the small hole.

There is a lip on the outside of the 3-3/8" gauge, I trimmed some away from the hole opening of the center gauge to help this gauge center and remain there.

Here's the lip on the Gauge I was talking about (the silver outer)
Attached Images

Last edited by RON WOODGEARD; 03-21-2005 at 08:09 AM.