The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
FLYNAVY30

Need some help.....3rd door lock

Went to unlock the third door this morning and pulled the popper right out of the arm. The odd part was that the retaining clip remained attached to the popper (until I separated them to pull them out of the door). I managed to unlock the door with a screw driver, but how in the $!@%& are you supposed to fish the arm for the popper back onto the lever arm in the door while also reinstalling the retaining clip??

Any techniques or assistance would be HUGELY appreciated!

-Greg
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
FLYNAVY30

Re: Need some help.....3rd door lock

Forgot the photo....
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
FLYNAVY30

Well, after much cussing, and fishing dropped parts out of the door, I got it back together. I found the easiest way was to use a magnetic pick up tool to hold the clip in place over the arm on the lack mechanism....then gently push the end of the popper through the assembly. Once that was in place, it took some finesse, but I was finally able to rotate the clip up 90 degrees to snap it in place on the shaft of the popper. What a PITA....the two front doors are significantly easier to access.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Well, after much cussing, and fishing dropped parts out of the door, I got it back together. I found the easiest way was to use a magnetic pick up tool to hold the clip in place over the arm on the lack mechanism....then gently push the end of the popper through the assembly. Once that was in place, it took some finesse, but I was finally able to rotate the clip up 90 degrees to snap it in place on the shaft of the popper. What a PITA....the two front doors are significantly easier to access.
Glad you got it together, Greg...I would have been of no help to you on this one, even though I recently worked on the 3rd door mechanism while getting my key cylinder operational. Luckily for me, mine stayed together so a little lube was all the popper arm needed on that end. It is really deep in there, I'll have to admit!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote