The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
v-man

Re: 1989 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

Okay drove to the fire station to go to work this morning 50 miles at 70mph. got out of the bus, that's what they call it. Massive oil leak. Come to find out, the timing indicator pin on the back of the timing case fell out, I lost 7 1/2 quarts of oil. it all ended up on the bottom side of my truck. I can't believe that much oil escaped. Is that possible? Called the Dieselwrencher and he hooked me up with some timing pin class. I'm never going to set the timing so I plugged the housing with a expandable rubber plug and filled it back up with oil. Does that sound about right? Would love any comments.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Okay drove to the fire station to go to work this morning 50 miles at 70mph. got out of the bus, that's what they call it. Massive oil leak. Come to find out, the timing indicator pin on the back of the timing case fell out, I lost 7 1/2 quarts of oil. it all ended up on the bottom side of my truck. I can't believe that much oil escaped. Is that possible? Called the Dieselwrencher and he hooked me up with some timing pin class. I'm never going to set the timing so I plugged the housing with a expandable rubber plug and filled it back up with oil. Does that sound about right? Would love any comments.
Tony, the engine should be fine. You still had 5 quarts in the system and the gear train was still throwing oil out so that means the piston skirts were still getting the splash oil they require on the skirts and from the piston cooling nozzles, and oil was coming down from the rockers as well. I've had trucks come in with 2-3qts in them and were still alright.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
v-man

Thanks guys, these trucks should have some type of low oil indicating gauge. By the time you see your pressure drop its to late. The 7.3 will just quit running as it needs oil to run the injectors. Its good to go now and I'm getting motivated on finishing the interior. Also thinking about teaching myself to do some minor welding. I just drool all over my keyboard when I look at your guys fab work.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote