The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
BaroneDog

Rusty Roof Best Approach?

My 67 stepside does not have much rust, but it does have it BAD in the drip rail and adjacent roof area (see pics below). I think it is because it spent much of its life in foggy SF and that salty fog accumulated on top. Anyway, I have done a little reading and there seems to be three approaches that I have seen:
  1. Shave drip rails and cut out roof and replace with new sheetmetal (roof top appears to be available through LMC)
  2. Chop off entire top (through pillars) and weld on new top
  3. Find a new cab

My preference would be to do #1, but it appears that the rust is also under the drip rail and into the top of the door frame on the driver side (last picture below) which might require some more detailed custom sheetmetal fab to fill in. I have never done this type of body work and I only have a MIG welder. Trying to decide if this is something I want to tackle. Seems like something in the realm of my skillset if I take my time with it.

Would appreciate some input from those of you who have done something like this before. Be honest...I can take it. Thanks!
Attached Images

BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote