The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
LagunaGlide

Horrible Paint job, and how to proceed?

My '70 has been resprayed I would guess at least 3 times. The top layer on the truck now is absolute crap. It is chipping, cracking, and flaking away, let alone the worst of the colors below. Today I tried Easy Off, and it was a pretty pointless venture.

Bottom line is, I want at the very least the top coat and it's primer gone. I would really like to get it back down to the original color and go from there. If the truck is going to be painted again it's all going to have to come off anyhow.

I can fairly easily take a razorblade and cut down to what I believe is a layer of primer (eggshell color) on top of the original paint. That eggshell colored layer is difficult to get under without taking up what is under it.

I don't know a ton about paint, and have thought about continuing to remove as much as possible with the razor, but can't help but wonder if a wet sanding will be faster, or how coarse of a grit I can use to make the process faster.

The pics below show the layers.

LagunaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Horrible Paint job, and how to proceed?

I had a similar problem, top coat was a cheap redo...It was over a layer of spray on filler which was almond color, don't know if that is what you have.... I sanded most of it off and sprayed epoxy primer over everything. You will have to experiment with sand paper grit and what takes it off the best. Try dry sanding with 220. If that works to get most of it off ( leave some ) then wet sand with 320, to get the rest.....wear a mask or respirator...unknown paint Bad.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:21 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

as bad as this sounds..youd be far ahead of the game to take it down to bare metal and start over...very difficult trying to remove a layer of paint and not disturb whats under it...and then there is the unknown factor...whats under it may not be worth trying to save

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
my67c20

No pics attached. However, best to sand it down with some 120 grit and feather it out until you have a relatively smooth surface. Spray it a with a few coats of self etching epoxy primer, which will seal the surface so no reactions happen. Sand again with some 220 to level out the primer. Fog it with a contrasting primer, then sand with some 320 grit. This will show you the areas that need special attention. Once you have it all happy with the 320, spray your single stage and then wet sand from there. Watch your edges and always sand with a block to keep a flat sanding pad.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
MDPotter

It sounds like you need to strip it and start fresh. 3 paint jobs is too much and trying to sand through one or two layers is a big gamble. Original paint is not a good foundation as old enamel and lacquer can't hold up to the solvents used in modern paint.

There are a few options for stripping a vehicle: sandblasting, sanding, and chemicals. You can use a heat gun and a razor blade to take off as much as you can and then you can either use a tool like the Eastwood SCT or take it to a sandblaster. Sandblasting is the best prep but adds up and don't let an inexperienced blaster work on big flat panels because they can be warped.

Whichever route you choose, you can't go wrong with bare steel followed by epoxy primer, 2K primer, sealer, then base/clear or single stage. I would recommend as much SPI products as possible.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
SunSoaked

SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
LagunaGlide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
There are pics, but apparently sometimes they work on this site and sometimes not
Old 03-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaGlide View Post
There are pics, but apparently sometimes they work on this site and sometimes not
You might need to resize your pictures.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
LagunaGlide

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
You might need to resize your pictures.
Ya I dunno. I use Google photos, and it seems sometimes it works and others not so much. I'll see what I can do
Old 03-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
LagunaGlide

I attached a few without google
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #11
my kids toy

remove it with 180 grit on a DA If your not looking for a show quality paint job and want to skip steps for less work spray it with eastwoods epoxy primer and then sand with 320 then paint and clear, I did my fire wall and underside of the cab this way and it looks just as good as the taking all the steps of sanding with 220 and wet sanding with 400
my kids toy is offline   Reply With Quote