The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
Jeffh

Another spin on oil filter question

Years ago, probably late 70's early 80's my Dad, if my memory serves me right, switched from a cannister type oil filter to the spin on type by just removing the two bolts and getting all the spin on type stuff out of a later block that came with it and exchanging it with all the cannister type stuff that was in his original 57 Chevy 283. Is that possible? All this time I just thought that was how it was done but now see where everybody is talking about conversion adapters...
Jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Another spin on oil filter question

I don't think that the early blocks are machined for the filter adapter that is used on the later blocks. I could be wrong about that, but given the number of adapters I've seen over the years, probably not.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Taken from another site:
"There are two different styles of spin-on adapters. The first style pictured below (Mr Gasket 1270) has 13/16-16 threads and uses a Chevrolet type spin on filter like the Wix 51069. This filter uses the original bypass valve from the old canister filter. A felt washer seals the adapter to the bypass valve. When this adapter is installed it sticks out of the block about ¾ of an inch. I don’t recommend using this adapter. If the felt washer slips out of place oil will bypass the filter. Worse yet pieces of the felt washer can come loose and plug the oil galleries.

The next adapter has ¾-16 threads and uses a common Ford or Chrysler type filter (Wix 51515). This adapter bolts directly to the block and doesn’t use the old bypass valve. The Ford spin on type filters have a bypass valve built in. This adapter fits flush with the block. This is the adapter I use and it is available at Summit here:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...FdgYgQodx_AHRA "

Summit shows more - https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ters/year/1957
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
Jeffh

Yep I do now know for a fact that my memory was mistaken. The block is machined different and an aftermarket adapter piece would be required. Going to stick with my canister.
Jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffh View Post
Yep I do now know for a fact that my memory was mistaken. The block is machined different and an aftermarket adapter piece would be required. Going to stick with my canister.
It IS a very efficient filter, just messy at oil change time. Millions of them were produced, so they can't all be wrong. It's just that when I worked as a mechanic, time was money.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote