The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #26
hick

Re: 95 Chevy Tahoe Duramax Swap

Russell,

Whats your hourly rate for troubleshooting help?

If im not mistaken, your buddies with Skyler are you not?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
Russell
Professional Grade

Sorry, just noticed this post now! My rate is usually a case of coca cola and some pizza73 :P

What kind of trouble are you having?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #28
superduty_59

Cool rig! I like all diesels, some more than others. I even like the 6.0's if you do some work to them. I personally tend to lean towards the Cummins swap. Much cheaper, especially for injectors but its cool to see a Duramax swap. You said it's a pretty swap ( electrical wise). Would that still be the case if you started with a gasser? I seem to find a gasser is generally cheaper (if it is a diesel even a non runner people think they are worth gold prices).
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #29
Russell
Professional Grade

It would make little difference if you started with a gasser or a diesel. The fuel lines had to be replaced and the electrical differences would just be wiring up a wait to start light and the water in fuel light. I suspect that the gas cluster probably even has those lights in them.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #30
85k30

What clutch master cylinder did you end up using? Zf6 or Tahoe? I'm almost finished with a zf swap in my '85. All that is left is a master cylinder. The factory one from the '85 wouldn't push enough volume to fully engage the release bearing. Don't really want to use the zf master if I can help it.
85k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #31
85k30

Sorry. I learned how to read, and found where you said what you are using.
85k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #32
darrylbo

Hey Russell I love the taho I'm currently working on a very similar project I have a 2000 Chev classic 2500hd. I did a 97 Ford dana 60 solid axle swap on. It was originally powered by a 6.5 diesel and 4l80e automatic but the engine didn't last long after injectors 30 pounds of boost and water meth injection. I've purchased a donor truck off a friend its a 2002 lb7 with and Allison. I have the motor out already and am in the process of pulling injectors and replacing them with the Bosch upgraded injectors head studs and co3 bag of parts for the fuel pump I plan on running and nv4500 behind it with a twin disc clutch. The mechanical side of it and fabricating side are actually Farley easy I bought the conversion guid from the diesel page for the motor mounts but I don't want to swap the whole dash out to make the conversion work so I was wonder what u did for wireing to get everything to work I'm asing u deleted the 6.5 ecm then used the lb7 ecm to handle everything else like cruise ac and speedo but any help or info u could offer would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
darrylbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #33
rhd_c10

Sweet truck..

1964 CHEVROLET BISCAYNE 350CI/TH-350
1968 CHEVROLET C-10 SWB LS1/4L60E
rhd_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylbo View Post
Hey Russell I love the taho I'm currently working on a very similar project I have a 2000 Chev classic 2500hd. I did a 97 Ford dana 60 solid axle swap on. It was originally powered by a 6.5 diesel and 4l80e automatic but the engine didn't last long after injectors 30 pounds of boost and water meth injection. I've purchased a donor truck off a friend its a 2002 lb7 with and Allison. I have the motor out already and am in the process of pulling injectors and replacing them with the Bosch upgraded injectors head studs and co3 bag of parts for the fuel pump I plan on running and nv4500 behind it with a twin disc clutch. The mechanical side of it and fabricating side are actually Farley easy I bought the conversion guid from the diesel page for the motor mounts but I don't want to swap the whole dash out to make the conversion work so I was wonder what u did for wireing to get everything to work I'm asing u deleted the 6.5 ecm then used the lb7 ecm to handle everything else like cruise ac and speedo but any help or info u could offer would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
I hope you've already got everything figured out 5 months later but regardless:

The 01/02 LB7 doesn't do a lot over serial communications like the newer trucks. They still have an analog oil pressure sending unit (which is the same as the older sending units in these trucks so you can just wire it right in), analog tach and speedometer. The only gauges sent to the instrument panel over the serial bus is the coolant and transmission temperatures. The PCM also operates the check engine lights as well.

I totally removed the 6.5L diesel PCM and sold it with the engine / transmission. The 6.6L PCM replaced it entirely. I removed all the wiring from the factory under-hood fuse block for the 6.5L harness and re-used it with the 6.6L for a clean factory looking install. Even the labeling was accurate for the fuses.

The only wiring I had to dig out of the harness from under the dash was the wiring for the water in fuel light, the low coolant light and the factory 6.5L throttle pedal. The LB7 doesn't use a TAC module like the LS engines do, so you have to splice the throttle wiring straight into the PCM.

If you folks have any questions about this stuff, please shoot me a PM or email me at Russell at ZieglerDigital dot ca. I don't browse this forum very regularly anymore.

Unfortunate, this truck is on it's last legs. She is much, much worse for wear than she was 5 years ago and is falling apart. Too much high speed desert running has taken it's toll on the frame with such a big and heavy engine up front.

My next build is going to be an 03 Z71 Tahoe 4-dr. I plan to do a solid axle swap with 1 tons (narrowed D60 front, 14 bolt semi float rear) on a 3 link front, factory multi-link rear and 35s. The drivetrain will be an L18 8.1L / 4L85E and NP243 t-case. It'll be an adventure toy for mostly pavement pounding with a little bit of mild wheeling and sight seeing here and there.

The big wheeler is going to be a 98 ZJ I am putting together to race in the Ultra4 4500 class.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #35
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Sounds like a nice plan!