The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
Nothinghead

'69 c30 dually

Well, I've been away for a few years, but tomorrow I may be back.

I am looking to pick up a 1969 C30. owner says he drove it all summer and it's running fine. The frame should be good. The cab is soft he says. Needs new driver floor and passenger fender has a hole forming. It has a 327 pushing a 4 speed manual transmission (I assume this will be a SM465?) with granny low. Also has A fully functional pto dump body. She has new brakes and brake lines and new fuel pump.

So, I had a K5 before. It was OK but had some weird **** going on with the auto tranny and ignition system. It had been cab swapped and electrical systems didn't match up etc. A bit of a nightmare. I learned a lot, and now I want this sucker for work. I'd like to use it for tree work.

So, who can tell me what I need to look for tomorrow morning when I go see this thing? He only wants $2250 for it, which sounds between reasonable and good deal. I'm going to offer 1800 and hope to land at 2k.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
cornerstone

Re: '69 c30 dually

Good luck on the purchase! I'd love to have a dump bed too, especially if it only cost me 2k!
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
flashed

That is cheap .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Nothinghead

Well..... she's not good buddy. Frame is sad, cab is sad. The drivetrain is strong!

Here are some pictures of the frame. Basically, the bottom portion of the C channel that makes up the frame is missing from the rear axle back. The vertical portion and the top of the C are fine. I suspect I can weld in a piece of flat stock in place of the missing C and be fine. Would you all agree? I am in class for structural welding and am headed to the local shipyard to build submarines, so I am tempted to take this on.

Cab is exactly what you would expect for a New England C series.

The kicker? He said he would do 900, which I think means he would do 500-700 for it all. Tires are dry rotted, but ok for a year more.

What would you all do? I want to use this for tree work. It will need to have a sold frame and cab ASAP, and I will likely do the frame work myself. THink this is manageable?
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinghead View Post
Well..... she's not good buddy. Frame is sad, cab is sad. The drivetrain is strong!

Here are some pictures of the frame. Basically, the bottom portion of the C channel that makes up the frame is missing from the rear axle back. The vertical portion and the top of the C are fine. I suspect I can weld in a piece of flat stock in place of the missing C and be fine. Would you all agree? I am in class for structural welding and am headed to the local shipyard to build submarines, so I am tempted to take this on.

Cab is exactly what you would expect for a New England C series.

The kicker? He said he would do 900, which I think means he would do 500-700 for it all. Tires are dry rotted, but ok for a year more.

What would you all do? I want to use this for tree work. It will need to have a sold frame and cab ASAP, and I will likely do the frame work myself. THink this is manageable?

Ahead of the axle looks pretty good. The rear horns would have to be really beefed up or completely replaced but I don't think it would be that hard being you are a welder.....

I use my '72 Dually all the time and it doesn't even have a hoist.

It should be an SM465. Here is what I did with mine to improve driveability, and man what a difference it made.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=673588

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #6
Nothinghead

Does the SM465 have a PTO output? This truck has a PTO driving the dump. I am new to PTO's on trucks.

I think the frame will be easy enough if I can find a solid donor. Otherwise, I will slowly piece it all back together from scratch. It doesn't seem all that complicated.