The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #101
litew8

Re: For Gramps (1970 C20 RestoMod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
Yeah, I have been looking at the forecast for the next month. Wed would be a good day because we leave out of town TH.
I was talking about next Wed. Can't wait to see how you end up maintaining +30 degree more temps in your garage with a cold ground and high cieling.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #102
mjensen

I'm not looking forward to working in my garage this weekend....that place is cooooold. I guess one good thing is that I don't need to store my beer in the fridge

I think it's going to be pretty tough to keep the temps up high enough to get the paint to cure, but this may do the trick. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...15-P47502.aspx

Not too bad of a price either.

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #103
Jahloha

UPDATE:

As the thread suggest, I have been scratching my head on how to get my garage to a decent temp in order to prime my frame. Because I could not find a solution, these past three days have been horrible because I was held at a stand still. Which for my personal project, is not good.

I started researching all types of heating, with the understanding that I wanted a low cost/non permanent option. I finally came to the conclusion, with the help of other members, to buy a propane top heater and build a temporary enclosure for the frame when I prime and paint.

I ended up buying this from HF with a 25% off coupon, came to just over 50 bucks:

http://www.harborfreight.com/30000-b...ck-to-top-link

I ended up buying the last one there was, needless to say, Utah has been dang cold lately, she said she started the week with about 50 and I got the last one.

So I took it home, set it up on a tank I had laying around and turned it full blast to see how quickly it could warm up a space and how warm it got:
Name:  New Heater.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  36.4 KB

After a 10 minute hiatus tinkering with this for my daughter (an old entertainment center Im turning into a kitchen playlet):
Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  48.6 KB

I was extremely happy to feel a noticeable change in temp near my truck and frame was not cold at all to the touch. This was without building the temporary surrounding as well. So this positive outcome led to continuing my work on prepping the front end for paint. I did more wire wheeling, disconnect steering and unbolted from frame, and also disconnected my brake lines.

Sorry for the boring update, but hey, it was a crucial decision for me haha.
Attached Images

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #104
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
I was talking about next Wed. Can't wait to see how you end up maintaining +30 degree more temps in your garage with a cold ground and high cieling.
I will definitely keep you posted Lite, I am nervous for this endeavor as well haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
I'm not looking forward to working in my garage this weekend....that place is cooooold. I guess one good thing is that I don't need to store my beer in the fridge

I think it's going to be pretty tough to keep the temps up high enough to get the paint to cure, but this may do the trick. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...15-P47502.aspx

Not too bad of a price either.
Haha, isn't your truck at your dads? Or have another project on your hands?

PS...Utah cold sucks, can't imagine how are members further north must feel!

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #105
Jahloha

RANDOM:

While wire wheeling I found another stamping. This stamp was on the passenger side on the frame, on the outside (facing the wheels):
Name:  Pass Side Side Frame Stamp.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  40.7 KB

It looks like "57", but I believe there is a "4" in the front that had a sloppy impression, making the stamping read "457".

If you know what this marking is or have any insight, please let me know.

Mahalo.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #106
litew8

lol try living in Iowa you think it's cold there
Old 12-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #107
mjensen

Yeah, truck is over at my dad's while I finish up this buggy wiring project. Hopefully I can finish most of it this weekend. Then the frame is coming back. It has been brutal lately...hey, but at least it's a dry cold haha.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #108
Jahloha

THOUGHTS:

I keep thinking about future endeavors during my build because I feel they directly affect what I am doing today. With that being said, I have been thinking a lot about wiring and brake/fuel lines. Although I have never wired a car or done double flares for lines, I have decided I plan on buying the AAW kit for the truck and running my own fuel and brake lines.

I feel that these two jobs will provide me with a broader skill set, but also be a neat thing to say I did them myself.

I hope to find other opportunities to really "build" this truck, making Gramps even more proud.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #109
Jahloha

Quote:
lol try living in Iowa you think it's cold there
Show off! Haha. I did have a cousin play ball for the Hawkeyes, while I was playing down here at the Y. He always talked about the cold!

Quote:
Yeah, truck is over at my dad's while I finish up this buggy wiring project. Hopefully I can finish most of it this weekend. Then the frame is coming back. It has been brutal lately...hey, but at least it's a dry cold haha.
For sure!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #110
mjensen

That's the spirit! Brake and fuel lines aren't too bad. You can even borrow my benders and flaring tool if you would like. Only trick with the flaring tool is to make sure the ends are well lubricated when you flare. Take your time, and it will work out great.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #111
Jahloha

Quote:
That's the spirit! Brake and fuel lines aren't too bad. You can even borrow my benders and flaring tool if you would like. Only trick with the flaring tool is to make sure the ends are well lubricated when you flare. Take your time, and it will work out great.
Man, thats an awesome offer! I will definitely take you up on that, they won't be going in for awhile, so don't be surprised if i hit you in a couple months haha (no shame on my part).

And you are right, the key is patience. Again, thanks for the offer!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #112
knomadd

I used the AAW kit on my 71. First time doing a complete rewire, and it wasn't too bad. Make sure you read and follow the instructions and you'll be good.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #113
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
I used the AAW kit on my 71. First time doing a complete rewire, and it wasn't too bad. Make sure you read and follow the instructions and you'll be good.
Duane, did you buy their crimpers or buy another set?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #114
Lee H

If you have not done it already you should go onto AAW website and watch the video on how to crimp. It's not like crimping a butt connector with a standard crimper.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #115
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
If you have not done it already you should go onto AAW website and watch the video on how to crimp. It's not like crimping a butt connector with a standard crimper.
Lee:

Good suggestion. Figure I will also buy some additional supplies to practice crimpers prior to starting the project. I know they send some practice supplies, but I figure it will be minimal.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #116
Jahloha

UPDATE:

Well, I am still prepping the frame but getting dang close to have from the cab forward ready for primer. Like a dummy, I realized I hadn't done a second power wash once my front end was dismembered, so there was a ton of extra grime and build up on the frame.

So I thought, no biggie, right? I will just spray some marine clean and wire wheel all the crud off. Well, since there was so much build up, all the marine clean and my wire wheel accomplished was to make a mud/tar substance that sprayed all over clean frame, my floor, and of course my face haha. I guess live and learn, right?

Anyways, the frame is probably about 95% complete, ready for a rust encapsulator primer then paint. I need to make my third pass through, to make sure all excess rust, paint, and build up is removed.And for anyone who has wire wheeled their frame, these pictures will bring you happiness and sadness haha, seeing as it marks the completion of a crappy job:

Name:  Frame Rail 2.JPG
Views: 641
Size:  108.7 KB
Name:  Comparison Under Frame.JPG
Views: 650
Size:  79.9 KB
Name:  Front Cross Member Metal:Paint.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  Pass Side Frame 95%.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  100.2 KB

Mahalo!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #117
Jahloha

QUESTIONS:

I found the same "457" markings on the driver side, as I did on the pass side from the earlier post. Anyone know what it means? My assumption is its a part number for the frame, but who knows; hopefully you do.
Name:  Drive Side Stamp (same as pass).JPG
Views: 748
Size:  78.9 KB

Also, I do not remember removing this piece from the engine bay and I did not document it in my notes. Is it some sort of engine secondary support or something? Let me know, if you know. Thanks.
Name:  photo 7.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  49.4 KB

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #118
swamp rat

Yea for the thick stuff i use and a putty knife and hand wire brush, then oven cleaner followed by a hose while in the driveway (and side yard too) Remember tho that oven cleaner eats paint..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #119
knomadd

Quote:
Duane, did you buy their crimpers or buy another set?
I couldn't see spending that much money on a pair of crimpers, so I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045CUMLQ/ref=oh... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045CUMLQ/ref=oh...
They did a great job on most of the connectors, but there where some connectors that took a bit of initial tweaking to fit inside the jaws. I'm not sure if the terminals are just extra thick, or if the crimpers I bought weren't for the bigger connectors, but I made it work. I'd say these worked great on about 90-95% of the connectors.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #120
litew8

Quote:
QUESTIONS:

I found the same "457" markings on the driver side, as I did on the pass side from the earlier post. Anyone know what it means? My assumption is its a part number for the frame, but who knows; hopefully you do.
Attachment 1187923

Also, I do not remember removing this piece from the engine bay and I did not document it in my notes. Is it some sort of engine secondary support or something? Let me know, if you know. Thanks.
Attachment 1187924
Can't see the part you are asking about too well. Guessing it ties one side of the engine down preventing engine torque movement.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #121
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Yea for the thick stuff i use and a putty knife and hand wire brush, then oven cleaner followed by a hose while in the driveway (and side yard too) Remember tho that oven cleaner eats paint..
Yeah, its one of those, "wish I had known that" before it happened haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
I couldn't see spending that much money on a pair of crimpers, so I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They did a great job on most of the connectors, but there where some connectors that took a bit of initial tweaking to fit inside the jaws. I'm not sure if the terminals are just extra thick, or if the crimpers I bought weren't for the bigger connectors, but I made it work. I'd say these worked great on about 90-95% of the connectors.
Great! I would rather buy a pair then do the rental process with AAW. Better to have a tool, then not.

Quote:
Can't see the part you are asking about too well. Guessing it ties one side of the engine down preventing engine torque movement.
Thats what I figured, but it was attached when I pulled the engine, almost positive.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #122
Jahloha

UPDATE:

After posting some inquiries on the forum, I decided I needed to purchase a grinder and some abrasive wheels to properly clean up the frame in prep for primer. Two things:

-Having never used a grinder before, within five seconds I understood the potential danger this tool holds. So for me, the protective wheel cover, leather gloves, proper attire, etc will all be norms when using this tool
-The abrasive wheels are great for frame prep and many other things I imagine my build will present. Although a little bulky, they cover mass areas quickly and strip paint, rust, gunk, etc in a steady pass by.

It is funny how you can think something is looking good (my frame yesterday), then try a new technique and see what you thought was good, wasn't quite as good as it gets. I hope to learn a lot of other things to help me have less "yesterday" moments, and constantly be prepping myself with great knowledge. Although I know experience is often the best teacher.
Name:  Abrasive Wheel 2.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  40.6 KB

Also, bought a light stand from HF as well. 1000W (dual 500W). Thing is pretty flimsy, but will serve my needs as a stationary light source. A ton better then my single build clip light I was using.
Name:  1000w Lights.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  88.4 KB

MAHALO

My 1970 C20 Build Thread

Last edited by Jahloha; 12-17-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #123
swamp rat

Wire wheels and naked eyes + trouble, get some safety glasses minimum, and if possible a flip up face shield.. Then let er rip!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #124
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Wire wheels and naked eyes + trouble, get some safety glasses minimum, and if possible a flip up face shield.. Then let er rip!
Haha, yup. Check, check, and about to go rip it up in final prep for primer tomorrow. What do you think about this plan for primer and paint?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=608443

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #125
litew8

Quote:
Thats what I figured, but it was attached when I pulled the engine, almost positive.
I was going to add - it doesn't look like the one I have. You may want to ask around for a second opinion.