The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
Rage68

Did I buy a big mistake?!

Hello all, I’m brand new to this site and have already found a lot of very useful information. I recently bought 2 trucks. One is 1968 Chevy short box and the other is a 1968 GMC long box. Both are 1/2 ton and I gave $500 for everything. The plan is to use the cab and clip from the GMC and the frame from the Chevy. All of the body from the Chevy is absolute junk. The frame seems good other than a bent rear trailing arm. I have removed all the body parts and am now down to the bare frame. But the more I sit and stare at it the more I think I’ve bit off more than I want to chew. My son will be 16 in a couple of years and my thinking was that this would be something he and I can do together and let it be his truck down the road. Has anyone else done a complete build like this? Is it worth it? Basically all I have is a frame, cab and clip. That’s it! I do have an engine for it when the time comes.
Any optimistic views will much appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Rage68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
dagnabbitt

Re: Did I buy a big mistake?!

You got a great deal, I'm very jealous in fact. Don't ask yourself if you have the time, ask if you have the patience.

Post pics!
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

If you have at least one useable frame, a decent cab, a simblance of a bed, you are half way home. If you have decent home shop, a few bucks to spend and a willingness to spend more than a few hours on the project, I say go for it. Nothing beats cruising in a truck you built. Good Luck.

Last edited by TobyArnot; 04-21-2018 at 10:04 AM.
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
extd56

looks like a good deal to me
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Warrens69GMC

Pictures, please
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #6
weim55

As someone who has alot of experience with many builds here's a few things to consider:

First, do you have a proper work space as well as most of the tools you will need to work through the job? How is your own experience level with all things automotive? Will you have plenty of cash flow for the project? Plenty of free time for the project?

A strong yes to all of the above? , consider doing the project, and even then give it alot of thought before diving in.

If this is your first rodeo into the hobby I'd suggest spending the $$ and buy a sound truck that only needs small projects at a time to make it to your liking. If at all possible keep it running and driving as each upgrade is completed and enjoy your fruits and learning with your son. This will also gauge his own interest and if to proceed with him on board.

Just my two cents..........

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

You made a huge mistake ! it could take years to rebuild and shoe boxes full of cash , But your in luck just to show you what a nice guy I am and How I don't want to see you go thru all the pain I'll give you back your $500.00 and come move all that scrap metal out of your driveway for you !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Chevyland

How did I know you would have an opinion
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #9
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
You got a great deal, I'm very jealous in fact. Don't ask yourself if you have the time, ask if you have the patience.

Post pics!
This is the fact of it. Patience. The deal is a good one. The plan to do this with your son is a great idea. Take it slow, both of you do your research and tackle it together one step at a time. Think 10 years from now.... this project could make that time of life even sweeter!

These trucks are very simple in overall design, they have almost everything you might need available and really not that expensive,( if you dont get crazy with mods) and they will only get more valuable with age.

Last edited by cornerstone; 04-19-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added one more thought
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #10
cleanfreak

The basic positive ideas here are all worth reading. Having experienced this same question...I can say if the room , time , money, basic knowledge, are all in place , and most importantly an understanding family , go for it. I'm finishing my 3rd truck that started as a bare frame now , have had countless more , enjoyed them all. These trucks are very simple to re-assemble , if you find yourself stuck , search here , and if your still stuck , ask here , you'll usually get the correct answer quickly , and the jerk responses get shut down pretty quick. - Bob
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #11
Getter-Done

Welcome to the board.
You made a great purchase.
Enjoy spending time with your son and building a truck together.
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #12
jjzepplin

Sounds like a good deal. Good luck and keep your eyes on the parts board here. Lots of good sellers with tons of good parts. Try not to throw anything away yet as someone on here may want it or you may find you need it after all.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #13
Greenlee

I completed a similar project without much experience. The biggest danger is letting the project stall out and not completing it. I had a few moments where I wondered if I would ever get the truck on the road.

Here’s the remedy: I have read this a few times on here, and it’s true. You have to try to get something done on it every week, even if it’s just something small. All those small tasks add up over time. Once you see light at the end of the tunnel, you will be more motivated to keep going and will find the time to work on it. It took a few years to get mine on the road, but now I feel like it was well worth it.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
Jim Boy

Smile Re: Did I buy a big mistake?!

What the hell go for it. BUT don't tell the wife when it will be done. Once they get a date in their mind they will hound you to death! Have a good one and good luck eh.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
sick472

Your biggest task is to complete the truck with out killing your budget and without burning out time-wise (you know this). The key to this is the decision you have to make on how particular you are going to be on the restoration. For example, I am a particular SOB and I can not get into a project without removing 99% of the original paint and putting many coats back on. I'm talking everywhere not just what shows from the outside. I will spend 5 plus years doing a resto-mod. That's a minimum of 10 hours a week and often 20 hours over a weekend. I consider myself an extremist. Don't get me wrong, my talents are still very amateur, I'm just nutty that way. If you want to get this car done in the next three years, you and your son will need to spend a fair amount of time every week working on the trunk, AND you will have to decide how far you are going to go with the build. Going ratrod style will save you a lot of time and money. Read...no real body work or paint. There is more sanding involved than you can imagine and easily $1000 to $3000 worth of chemicals, sand paper, and tools to do a decent DIY paintjob. Rat rod is not everyone's style. With that said, going back mainly original is the next way to consider. I do not mean a numbers matching concourse build, but no modern updates like overdrive, aftermarket AC, suspension mods, etc. Put a Chevy motor in it from that time period and use what tranny it was set up for, keep the suspension stock, leave the fuel tank in the cab and so on. Leaving things as they were intended for those years makes the research a lot easier. Order from catalog/web and install. No intensive research on what will work with this or that modification.

IMO, a two/three year project means that the hidden areas get wire wheeled and hand brushed with rustoleum, any outer rust gets repaired with a higher level of attention, hidden rust gets cut out and repaired with speed in mind, not aesthetics. Maybe a trim delete. That stuff costs a lot $$ and can be difficult to source. Interior parts get spray bombed and the flaws are lived with. The motor and tranny should be sourced used, but in good condition. You see where I'm going? Cut the corners that come from being too particular, but cut NO corners that make it safe and reliable. This way, if the car bug catches with your son...he will have a truck 10 years down the road to do again and not get burned out on a slapped together beater.

I have always found that the tear down of a vehicle is easy to get excited about. It happens fast and you see progress everyday that you work on it. Get ready for the slow and labor intensive part next..."de-rusting". I find this aspect the most unpleasant, but patience and perseverance is the key. Soon, new parts are being purchased, things start to go back together and the excitement comes back full swing.

AND, it would not hurt to get the boy driving for a year or two before he starts driving the project. It will help ensure that the potential first accident does not happen to the truck and it may help his motivation to work on the project if he has to drive mom's ole' mini-van for a time. That would motivate me to sand on a truck every night for a long time! lol

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
leddzepp

Even if someone gave you those trucks (they almost did), you will soon forget that as you pour endless amounts of money into building them.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #17
Artofdeath

What's this budget that you speak of?
Artofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
Duck 37

Smile Re: Did I buy a big mistake?!

No mistake, keep asking guestions on this site and get-r-done and good luck.
Duck 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #19
Leonard1

As long as you got the titles to go with them, you did great!
Leonard1 is offline   Reply With Quote