The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
firedoger

1" 4 hole carb spacer ?

I have a 400sbc with a Edelbroch RPM intake and Edelbrock 1405 carb. Will a 1" 4 hole spacer do anything for me ? This is a street truck.
firedoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
dznucks

Re: 1" 4 hole carb spacer ?

You will notice some minor improvements. Maybe a horsepower or two could be gained. I wouldnt go buy the most expensive one, but its money well spent in my opinion. I noticed improvement in off-idle transition and smoother driveability. It also will keep the carb cooler. Dont get an open hole spacer though.

Last edited by dznucks; 01-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I'm betting the most noticable thing will be the reduced weight of your wallet,, and not a lot more. The only spacer I found to help a big inch small block was one called "SuperSucker" from QuickFuel it was good for 4HP proven on the dyno. We tried a open spacer and straight cut 4hole spacer and nothing,,,, didn't help,, The 'SuperSucker is scalloped from the 4hole at teh carb base, flaired to a open spacer at the intake side. Like I said it ws good for 4HP,, unfortunately, that was only a .005% improvement on a 800HP motor and showed on a race motor at 7200-7600rpm.

On the street,, unless you are spinning that 400 into the ozone,, I really doubt you will see much that will be noticable to the butt-o-meter

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

It's actually been documented many times that a 1" plastic phenolic 4 HOLE spacers is one of the cheapest improvements you can make to the low end of a street motor. It's not surprising that Marv wasn't impressed based on his application. They can be a tuning tool on high HP motors but other factors come into play. It's finding that sweet spot. On the street though, where we see a lot of part throttle, they can be great. I will say that I am coming strictly from a BBC stand point but I run them on everything I own and I do feel a down low difference. It is like increasing the length of your base plate and helps to more atomize the fuel before it hits the swirl of the intake. With all this said, it will be a case by case bases but I believe that picking up a little bit of throttle response, regardless of dyno recognized HP gains, is well worth the $20-$30 spent.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I run a 4 hole spacer under my Edlebrock 1407(just a cheap one), & as already said.....it does help the carb run cooler(no fuel perc on the Eddy). I feel that it does also have a little more low end response(driveability), but I feel no gains in the "seat of the pants" feel on a wide open run. CrazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
snj8198

refresh my memory CL, what intake are you running?

could these finding be held more true on shorter intakes like the Eddie's performer versus higher rising ones such as the air gap manifold?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
refresh my memory CL, what intake are you running?

could these finding be held more true on shorter intakes like the Eddie's performer versus higher rising ones such as the air gap manifold?
Edelbrock RPM , heads,intake, & carb....she runs a Comp cams XE-268 cam, on a flattop 383. Backed with a 6 spd richmond, & 3.42 gears. Not the "gorilla killa", but a nice torky street ride crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
firedoger

Thx for the reply's ! I will probly grab one and give it a try .
firedoger is offline   Reply With Quote