The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
oldschooler

smoke and heat. Not good?

Hey guys, I have a smoke and heat problem under dash. There is a rectangular little box right above where the steering column goes through the firewall. It has a 3 prong plug w/3 wires in it 1 red, 1 green and a smaller black one. The little silver box is so hot it is starting to melt the plug. Is the box bad or do I have a short some where? If I have a short what accessory would be most likely suspect? Thanks for any input. I would hate to make the old lady happy and have the truck(money pit) as she calls it, catch on fire. Thanks, Rich
oldschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: smoke and heat. Not good?

sounds like your horn relay is bad//does your horn work?
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
oldschooler

Re: smoke and heat. Not good?

I thought it might be something with the horn. I put a tilt column in and when I hooked the battery back up The horn wouldnt shut off. I disconnected the wire to the horn, went out later to start the truck and the battery was dead. When I hooked up the battery charger I could here a relay clicking under the dash. So since I dont drive the truck, I just kept disconnecting the battery. Yesterday I wanted to start it and realised the battery was left connected and it was dead. I hooked up charger and thats when I could smell something burning and saw smoke coming out of the dash. Will just disconnecting the wires from the relay solve the problem? I will be installing a new painless wiring system later. I think the problem might be with the horn button on the column. I was also going to put a new wheel and horn button on later hoping that would solve problem. Before I put the column in I had the common push button banded to the column. I assumed the harness to the horn was cut and I would still need that button. Thanks, Rich
oldschooler is offline   Reply With Quote