The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #2326
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

A Painter's tip for W.Brown :

When re painting with the backlight and windshield in place , , raise up the outer lip of the old rubber & tuck some electrical wire or 1/4" nylon rope underneath it ~ this will hold it up so your sanding , blocking & so on , will " feather " and remove that nasty old lip of built up paint etc. , leave it there when you paint too and remove it (CAREFULLY !) a few days after you paint it , this makes the edge looks nice and smooth , even with nasty old dried up rubber , helps prevent leaks and makes it easier to replace the rubber later when you get sufficient $ to buy new rubber and glass.....

This is one old Used Car Lot trick I learned to make turds look much better....

Removing the door handles , always is another simple thing that will pay HUGE dividends later when the new paint doesn't chip/peel 'round then handles in a year .......

Your truck is looking good .

10 Ring ~ you're truck is actually rather rust free ~ the core support & inner fender rust is common due to battery leakage even here in the Desert , keep at it .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #2327
In The Ten Ring

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
A Painter's tip for W.Brown :

When re painting with the backlight and windshield in place , , raise up the outer lip of the old rubber & tuck some electrical wire or 1/4" nylon rope underneath it ~ this will hold it up so your sanding , blocking & so on , will " feather " and remove that nasty old lip of built up paint etc. , leave it there when you paint too and remove it (CAREFULLY !) a few days after you paint it , this makes the edge looks nice and smooth , even with nasty old dried up rubber , helps prevent leaks and makes it easier to replace the rubber later when you get sufficient $ to buy new rubber and glass.....

This is one old Used Car Lot trick I learned to make turds look much better....

Removing the door handles , always is another simple thing that will pay HUGE dividends later when the new paint doesn't chip/peel 'round then handles in a year .......

Your truck is looking good .

10 Ring ~ you're truck is actually rather rust free ~ the core support & inner fender rust is common due to battery leakage even here in the Desert , keep at it .
The longer I am on this site, the more I want to rebuild the entire truck myself out of fear the hired man won't know these tips!

Thanks VWNate....yes that passenger side was bad and every bit as bad as I feared. I actually figured it was break apart where the bolts go when I took it off and it did just that (stoved in). I have a NOS outer, Key Parts inner, and OEM core support ready to go to the blaster and paint shop.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #2328
aod92

I know it's not much but I added arp hardware to my 12 bolt. I think these small changes make a big difference.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #2329
stepsider

Took off my back bumper on my stepside & painted it black, Wanted to know my rear end ratio so I pulled the diff cover, To my surprise I have a posi. After counting the teeth & doing the math, it turns out to be a 307. New gasket & posi oil & I'm ready to go.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #2330
Econman

Today, I primed the oil pump... turning the crank 1/4 turn every 3 mins.. with 10w-30 conventional oil and Lunati break-in additive..

Installed a new coolant temp sensor..

Installed a new Pertronix stock-look dizzy.. (but forgot to buy the new coil with it. lol)
Old 06-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #2331
In The Ten Ring

I'm kind of at a "stopping point" as my favorite Chem professor would say, so I just cleaned up on the wire wheel and NAPA Rust Treated all of the bolts from the cowling and fender removal. Of all the fender bolts removed yesterday, only two won't be used again (threads rough).
Old 06-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #2332
CST10

Changed the coil in old Owen.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #2333
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Econman :

You needn't buy a $uper $pendy ignition coil from Pertronix but you absolutely -MUST- read the instrucxtions ans match the resistance of what ever coil you do use , to whet the directions say ! it varies upon with Ignitor setup you buy ~ some are designed for 8 ~ 11 VDC voltage , other are designed for straight 12 volts and failure to match the oil will cause failure, this is the reason some complain Ignitors are no good ~ not because they're bad , because they fail to personally check ~ even if you buy the $pendy $pecial (B.S. BTW) Petronix coil , TEST IT before installing it ~ .

The best igniton coils will be epoxy filled , NAPA's excellent Epoxy filled coils are affordable and last forever but you can use the old crappy coil lying in your junk box as long as it's tested and has the correct resistance .

I wish I could give back even 1/2 the help and good advice I find here.....
Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #2334
Econman

Thanks, Nate.

The feedback I've gotten is to use the 1.5 ohm coil..
Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 AM   #2335
In The Ten Ring

A power failure killed my chances to make the night before's dream come true of running electrolysis on a bracket (I did dream that!) so all I did was see if my rubber spray fixed the leaking electrolysis tub. Well, no, actually! However the leak slowed to a mere 1/4 of an inch of water level per hour so that will work fine.

I hope to run it today.

I did get in a price check on media blasting and I hope to get my parts over there on Wednesday.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #2336
VWNate1

Exclamation Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Never mind ' feed back ' ! READ THE INCLUDED INSTRUCTIONS then choose , test and use the correct coil .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econman View Post
Thanks, Nate.

The feedback I've gotten is to use the 1.5 ohm coil..
Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #2337
Econman

Just as I will and always do...

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Never mind ' feed back ' ! READ THE INCLUDED INSTRUCTIONS then choose , test and use the correct coil .

-Nate
Old 06-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #2338
bowman39

Started removing my firewall
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #2339
Saclandman

Found a leak in my radiator. So, being the industrious person that I am, said to myself, "screw it. Imma fix dis mah sef." More is always better, right? And sandles are always a good choice when soldering over a concrete floor. The resulting splatter burns are fantastic.
Attached Images

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Old 06-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #2340
In The Ten Ring

I started wearing safety glasses anytime I was under a truck when I got a piece of rust in my eye. I stopped wearing flip flops when I missed a step and folded my toenail back 110 degrees. If you value your feet (and your survival) stop wearing those deadly things. Lecture ends.

I hope you got your radiator fixed. More is better....just ask your wife/GF.

Yesterday I hauled my NOS fender, NOS outer rockers, and OEM core support to the media blaster. I managed to forget to take the grill cowling so I'll have go back again!

I have been running electrolysis for 48 hours on a bracket. It's taking forever but that bracket has sections that are down to bare metal. The process will continue.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #2341
jessemthompson

I started laying out my BP auto wiring harness for my LS swap. Hope to make some serious progress throughout the weekend.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #2342
stepsider

Got up this morning, (Retired) What can I do to my Stepside, How bout some end caps for the bed. Took about 3 hours (have cable TV in my garage could have don it faster) Told my wife long time ago, to keep my happy buy my tools. My nipples still get hard everytime I walk past the tool Dept in Sears. To much information !!!
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #2343
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Well done sir ! .
Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #2344
chvtrkman

Well, first off I don't get on here much at all anymore.. work keeps me busy and the wife's "honey-do" list keeps getting things added to it faster than i can knock off the old items.. Haven't even touched the '69 in a long while but I decided to pull the heater box out of the '78 DD and discover what caused my heater to stop working last winter. I suspected from the awful "aroma" that came out of the defroster vent that a rodent (and maybe his buddies) made a nest in there, but after i got the box out from under the dash, surprise ! ... no nest. Next on the agenda is remove blower motor/fan assembly and hope to solve the mystery aroma.. but... the sky clouded up and i thought rain was immanent, (is my spell check working?) so closed 'er up til tomorrow.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
Old 06-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #2345
3drburb

From this, to this.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #2346
Saclandman

Drove it.
Attached Images

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Old 06-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #2347
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saclandman View Post
Drove it.
I don't care WHO says WHAT: long wheel base trucks look better than short wheel base trucks.

(And stepside lwb trucks look the best!).

All I did today was get up into my dad's attic and find the 1967 hood cowling I have up there and yes, it has an antenna hole although the hole looks to be a "redneck hacked hole." I'll get my cowling blasted and if it's destroyed in the process then I'll have another look at this one and depending on how that goes, maybe buy one from a board member. The attic cowling is however, very rust-free.

I also dipped my hood latch bracket into Evaporust and it's doing well. I find an Evaporust soak after electrolysis works amazing wonders on rusted metal.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 06-14-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:48 AM   #2348
stepsider

After putting 4" Lower springs & 2 1/2 blocks on the rear of my Stepside this is what it came out to. 4 1/8 lower. The driver side is 1" lower than the Pass side. Drivers sit at 29" Pass at 30" When I do the front with spindles & springs, I hope that some way it fixes itself. The truck alway sat lower on the dr. side. Might have to take it to a frame shop, Will see after I do the front
Old 06-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #2349
chvtrkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvtrkman View Post
Well, first off I don't get on here much at all anymore.. work keeps me busy and the wife's "honey-do" list keeps getting things added to it faster than i can knock off the old items.. Haven't even touched the '69 in a long while but I decided to pull the heater box out of the '78 DD and discover what caused my heater to stop working last winter. I suspected from the awful "aroma" that came out of the defroster vent that a rodent (and maybe his buddies) made a nest in there, but after i got the box out from under the dash, surprise ! ... no nest. Next on the agenda is remove blower motor/fan assembly and hope to solve the mystery aroma.. but... the sky clouded up and i thought rain was immanent, (is my spell check working?) so closed 'er up til tomorrow.
Pulled the blower motor today and sure enough, there was Mr. Mouse jammed between the fan and the housing wall. Who knows how long he'd been there. The truck is never parked for more than a week at a time, but i guess that was long enough for the critter to seek some warmth on a cold night. i know this is a common thing when a vehicle sits for long periods, just didn't think I would have it happen with such a brief time span of no movement. Now I have to try to seal up openings to heater with some wire mesh. ... Gonna be great to have heat again next winter, drove from mid January til now with no fan.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
Old 06-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #2350
In The Ten Ring

I forced my hood latch bracket to fit into a plastic tray, poured in a gallon of Evaporust, and forced up the level with bricks and plastic bottles. The bracket is about half way to being totally rust free. :-)

(I realize this looks crazy but it's working).

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 06-14-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Closed Thread