The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
jumpsoffrock

Best factory-ish mirrors for daily driving.

I am looking forward to one day DD'ing my single rear wheel 72 1 ton and want to know what factory-ish mirrors would be the most useful and safe. I have heard some of the factory mirrors are too small and useless, others have a bad blind spot.

I don't mind using mirrors that may have been for square bodies or something, but I do want them to install and look somewhat period correct. I don't care if they're big or I need to drill holes.

I will typically not be towing; no RV's, maybe a small boat someday...
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:02 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Best factory-ish mirrors for daily driving.

You could post a post a wtb ad for a set of 72 DG4 below eyeline mirrors - I don't see a reason to seek a non-factory option given that you want the end result to look factory-ish. they are plenty big to be useful, and since you mentioned you're not towing anything big - they are more than sufficient - and camper mirrors wouldn't really be needed (note camper mirrors have the same size mirror head anyway, they are just designed to be rotated away from the body more to see past wide trailers). The standard sport mirrors look fine, but weren't very common on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks - and I have heard some folks complain about them being a little too small of a mirror surface to be useful.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
custom10nut

I have the the “Big White Elephant Ears” on mine.
Mine came with them, but I thought it would be cooler to have the little “Sport Mirrors”.
I absolutely DID NOT like them, because there is very little “Field of Vision” with them, so I went back to the Big Mirrors.
The “Sport Mirrors” look good in a Show or in a Magazine, in my opinion (after nearly getting into to three collisions on the Interstate), but they’re not the best choice of mirrors, when it comes to safety and practicality
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:00 AM   #4
jumpsoffrock

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
You could post a post a wtb ad for a set of 72 DG4 below eyeline mirrors - I don't see a reason to seek a non-factory option given that you want the end result to look factory-ish. they are plenty big to be useful, and since you mentioned you're not towing anything big - they are more than sufficient - and camper mirrors wouldn't really be needed (note camper mirrors have the same size mirror head anyway, they are just designed to be rotated away from the body more to see past wide trailers). The standard sport mirrors look fine, but weren't very common on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks - and I have heard some folks complain about them being a little too small of a mirror surface to be useful.
Apparently I have a set of DG4's on some spare doors, so I guess they get a vote. I'll try them out first and hope they work.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
sick472

The DG4's have been a favorite of mine for all around general use. Big enough to pull moderate trailers with, but small enough to not look purpose built. The mirrors that came on the 73 thru 80's of a similar style are good too, but I prefer the older look of the 72's even though there's not much difference.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
dave6672

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Thanks guys!

Apparently I have a set of DG4's on some spare doors, so I guess they get a vote. I'll try them out first and hope they work.
A vote for DG4’s from me too on this. My C20 has them now and they give great visibility. I had sport mirrors on another C20 and they didn’t offer great visibility.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

I use the basic rectangular ones (I don't know their official name) turned 90 degrees on my daily driver. The truck had the same mounts with round mirrors when I bought it. Both of those mirrors small and were convex and I didn't care for that, plus the mirror and mounts looked out of proportion with each other.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #8
jumpsoffrock

^^^That's what my 1 ton came with originally and I can't figure why a HD work truck would have such wimpy mirrors. lol
Old 07-13-2022, 10:31 AM   #9
Accelo

The early round mirrors are diffidently smallish in nature.
I just got my passenger side adjusted on my 1970 mirrors.
Mine are the reproduction mirrors.
Frankly I have my doubts the glass has the same shape of the factory mirrors.
The field of view is pathetic on the passenger side.

I broke my mirror on my later model Silverado and purchased the replacement glass on Ebay. It had a very different view when compared to the stock mirror.
They are likely going cheap and just using flat glass.
Anyone have some originals they can put a straight edge on?
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #10
72SB

IDK if these are stock but what came on my 72. For me, they work.
Attached Images

72SB is offline   Reply With Quote