The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
Accelo

2.5 years of work wrapping up.

After reversing the center link on my 1970 a test drive has been completed. The difference, in how it drives, is night and day.
Truck turns much sharper as the rod ends impacted the center link kept the truck from turning as sharp as stock. The slight twitchness is gone. It may even return to center a little better. The extra power required when turning is gone. Confidence is back as it just never felt correct. Frankly it was just a little unnerving. Now the truck is just much more fun to drive.

I have address a transmission oil leak, speedometer bouncing, lock up converter wiring and turn signal stalk in the last week. The converter lock reduces the highway RPM by an additional 200rpm.
Also addressed a brake light issue. Did you know the brake circuit isn't identified on the American Auto wire fuse box. Turns out it's included in the courtesy lighting circuit. I had pulled the courtesy fuse to work under the dash. Issue repaired by replacing the fuse.

When you have every nut and bolt off of a vehicle I expect issues.
Getting closer to a real truck as the "to do" list gets smaller.

Still on the "to do "list is;
  1. Planning on installing a factory cruise control, vendor is fabricating a harness for me to connect into the factory ECM
  2. Refinish the center console.
  3. replacing the head light switch. The China American Auto Wire switch failed out of the box. The knob pulls out of the switch unless you are very delicate with the pulling. The dash light dimmer will not turn more than 1/8 of an inch. I am planning on installing the 50 year old stock switch. Bet it works better than the AAW provided switch.
  4. Repairing the non-functioning fuel gauge and volt meter.
  5. Aiming the headlights.

6000rpm shifts, to second, are exhilarating to say the least.
Possibly a LS1 stroker motor with CNC heads sometime in the future.
Those changes should produce close to 400Hp at the wheels!
That would be a winter project as I plan on putting some miles on it this summer.
Cheers.

Last edited by Accelo; 07-19-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote