The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2003, 04:31 PM   #1
racedvl
Account Suspended

Thumbs down Summit HEI's

Ok, I bought one about 3 years ago. Was great until this summer. The the wires for the pick- up coil just came apart! The wires themselfs!! Not just the connections. They actually fell apart. Then when I pulled it to replace the pick up coil, the replacement didn't really fit to well. And there was oil insde the dizzy it self! The top of it was leaking oil into the body of it! Not good. Now, I have some problems with the advance weights. I have tried to replace the springs, but it didn't help. I also cleaned the weights and the plate under it. No help. The weights them self's are a crappy design. So I'm hoping I can take the center part out and replace it with the center part from a computer controlled HEI that I have around, and swap it in.

Folks, go to the bone yard and get yourself's a used HEI, and rebuild it. The summit one is a POS Also, Summit was not willing to help me out due to the age of it. Although the milage was low. Live and learn folks.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:38 AM   #2
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

thats not cool at all. Thnks for the tip!

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:06 PM   #3
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

worse than that are the Accel HEI's.. I got one with probably 10-15K miles on it and there is a LOT of play @ the roll pin holding the gear on...its in the rotor shaft itself too, so the pin is tight in the gear but not on the shaft.. theres an easy 3/16"+ play @ the rotor.. I compared it to a million mile (ok not really) HEI stock from a '77 parts truck I had and it was TIGHT. stupid accel. Ill never buy another accel part again.. their cap & rotor replacements are junk too...

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:15 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Normally I say stock sucks...but I agree with the 2 of you...
Junk yard HEIs rule.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
hanssolo

Me too. My junkyard HEI is about 25 years old. Its a little chewed but still tight. The shaft is the only part I have'nt replaced.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:39 PM   #6
MikeB

My 8 year-old Accel "Blueprint" HEI is still going strong. I replaced the module with one from MSD a couple years ago, but the original still works.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

We have been using the HEI's made by Petronix (flame thrower) and out of about 30 or so of them we only had one that had any problems (pickup coil wire was broken), we buy them at a local speed shop here and they have been pretty reliable
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote