The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Lunchbox1019

Lunchbox's 1964 Shop Truck

Been lurking for while, so let me start by saying this site has been a great resource for information and ideas. I figured I would post our project to get some ideas and opinions.

I was able to talk the executive commity at my job into letting us build a shop truck for small local deliveries. We plan on having this satin black (of course) with our company logo on the side along with some of our vendor's logos that have donated $$ for the build. Despite all that we still do not have alot of cash to work with. But this does not need to be a show truck, just needs to look cool from a distance.

Heres the truck the day we purchased it.
Attached Images

Lunchbox1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Lunchbox1019

Re: Lunchbox's 1964 Shop Truck

Here it is back at in our shop. We work for a water works wholesaler, not a hot rod shop so be gentle

The body appears to be in okay shape and the main rust problems are on the hood. We are on the fence as to replacing the hood or repairing it. The floors have minimal rust and the corners are great. No rust around any window seals.

So far we have rebuilt the carb, replaced/rewired the tail lights, new fuel cell and filled sanded a few minor areas. We plan on having the interior and exterior painted at the same time. We also are removing the bed to have a new strip welded where the bed bolts down to the frame as its pretty shot. Then we will more than likely have a peice of diamond plate cut for the bed bottom. Also ordered some red powder coated smoothies with chrome baby moons from Rally America. Going with 15x8 on the back and 15x6 on the front. Will 15x10 fit on the back with out cutting the bed? I have time to change to order.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lunchbox1019; 12-13-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Lunchbox1019

Sorry for the pic quality. My phone was all I had.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

the hood looks tough.. I would replace it. alans classic here on the board might have an extra one..
he is in atlanta.
check out lakeroadsters build, I think he is running 15/10's on a step..
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox1019 View Post
.... Going with 15x8 on the back and 15x6 on the front. Will 15x10 fit on the back with out cutting the bed? I have time to change to order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
... check out lakeroadsters build, I think he is running 15/10's on a step..
Hey Lunchbox, welcome to the forum!

I am running 15x8-1/2 US Indy slots (3-3/4" Back Spacing)... but I widened the bed 4" and mini-tubbed also. I still had to metal work the fender lip for clearance with the 33x12.5 rear tires. Check out my build thread link below for specifics.

The overall fender width on the stepside beds are narrower than fleetsides. You can get some decent width tires under them though but you need alot of backspacing, so much that it's tough to find any wheels "off the shelf" that work.

Your other options include a narrowed rear, 3" wider than stock fenders or custom offset wheels.

The only sure-fire way to really know for sure what will work for your truck is to jack it up under the axle, take off the tires/wheels on both sides and start measuring.

Good luck!

Last edited by lakeroadster; 12-13-2010 at 05:43 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Welcome- I think it is cool to have a 4-5-6 represent your company- but I would look for a different hood.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
kalirodding
CLASSIX Truck Club

Looking good. I really like that blue it was painted.
kalirodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Lunchbox1019

Thanks for the replies. I like the blue as well, but they company's logo colors are red and black so I'm stuck with that.

I finalized the wheel order with Rally America today and ended up with 15x6 on the fronts and 15x8 on the back with a 4" backspace.

I will check with Allen's Classic on the hood. Where else can I score a hood (other than hunting craigs list and the u-pull it yard)? Does anyone make a decent reproduction?

Oh and Lakeroadster, love your build. Wish I had your skills....and tools.....and garage.....
Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
GMR-PERFORMANCE

repo hoods are a decent starting point but far from primer ready. They will have dings dents and some stuff may not be as correct as stock ... plus seem to be made of much tinner steel.. Took me about 1 month to locate a 95% ding free OEM tail gate.. FOr me its worth the wait to have a good quality part. Maybe time to look into a cowl induction hood no better time than this

Myself I would put in the time and locate a OEM hood.. I hate to say this but I cut a hood as they are common out here. I used it for filler patch metal on the stake hols, fuel hole, and small screw holes that needed a backer before putty...
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote