The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
belair427

Poverty Stricken Step Side Project.

Well, I decided to start a build thread on my 65 Step Side. This truck was purchased to use up a 350/350 combo that came out of my 68 Chevelle Convert to make way for a 427/5 speed swap! We decided to try to build this truck using only currently owned parts and a minimal cash budget. The goal is to get this truck into safe driving condition by trading parts and or labor, swap meeting, using eBay and craigslist. Current craigslist ads for radiator and front fenders are running now. I have 3 technicians, who work for me, under 25 years old who think it is impossible to have a cool ride on a young, married with children budget. I aim to change their minds. Total cost of this truck, including acquisition should not exceed $3500.00 or 2 years total build time. $3500.00 divided by 2 years (104 weeks) = $33.66 per week investment. All 3 guys agree that they could swing $35.00 a week for a project like this. I will try to update once a week with pictures and complete list of parts used, how and where they were acquired and a running total of cost. Follow along with us, this should be fun.
65 Roller purchased for $700.00

Purchased a 84 C10 rolling chassis from craigslist for $300.00 that has a 3-5 drop by using spindles and rear flip kit. Also had a set of 15" rally wheels we will paint and use as well. In this picture we have removed the original front torsion bars suspension (chassis in this project is a 60-62) and bolted in the cross member from the 84. The rear is still 6 lug at this time.

Here we have built a gear box adapter plate to bolt the 84 power steering gear box to the 65 frame and line up with the newly installed steering linkage. Note only 2 of the 4 mounting bolts are installed in this photo as we still need to make slight additions to the frame for the other 2 bolts.

This photo shows the engine set in place. We used the engine frame mounts from the 84 that bolted into the lower cross member in the factory locations and we built a simple spacer out of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 square tubing with holes drilled through the holes in the factory frame stands and through the upper frame plate to bolt the tops down.

The total cash spent on this truck is now 1000.00
belair427 is offline   Reply With Quote