The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
Phoax

I need steering column help

I didn't like my steering wheel position the day I bought my truck years ago, it's not tilt. I recently saw a craigslist ad for an early Chevy van tilt steering column and it said in the ad it would fit a 67-72 truck. I had heard of people using van tilt columns in the past so I bought it.

It didn't just plug in like I hoped it would.

I can't seem to figure out how to separate the intermediate shaft from the main column on my original column (blue)

How do I hook to black column up to the rag joint on the blue one?

Btw my truck is a 67' and it is converted to floor shift so none of the shifting bits are relevant, I just need to steer.

Thanks,
Matt
Phoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Jason Banks

Re: I need steering column help

I don't think there is an intermediate shaft on the 67 column, so it won't come apart. It attaches straight to the steering gear box.

You would probably need an intermediate shaft from a later truck.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Terrysch

I am relatively new to the forum but there seem to be a couple of Members who really know steering columns. Including refurbishing ones they buy and resell, etc.
One is Randy500. Can find him easily through his posts. Great guy, have talked to him on the phone a couple of times.
I bought a tilt steering column from him that also came out of a van. But had to also buy an intermediate shaft from him with it. He had to adjust it, shorten it for my 72 Jimmy.
I would contact him with a PM and ask for help. He will need to know exactly what steering column you bought.
Plus there is a chance he might have some extra intermediate shafts and he might sell one to you.
Terry
Terrysch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
Phoax

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering an intermediate shaft and flange and a 3/4" DD shaft from CPP. $43 shipped. Hopefully it works out.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #5
Blue18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoax View Post
I didn't like my steering wheel position the day I bought my truck years ago, it's not tilt. I recently saw a craigslist ad for an early Chevy van tilt steering column and it said in the ad it would fit a 67-72 truck. I had heard of people using van tilt columns in the past so I bought it.

It didn't just plug in like I hoped it would.

I can't seem to figure out how to separate the intermediate shaft from the main column on my original column (blue)

How do I hook to black column up to the rag joint on the blue one?

Btw my truck is a 67' and it is converted to floor shift so none of the shifting bits are relevant, I just need to steer.

Thanks,
Matt
Should have used u joint and DD shaft it makes for a precise way to locate steering position
Blue18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
Phoax

I don't think the pics worked on my initial post. A u joint with splines to DD shaft was included with the craigslist steering column purchase. The 2 parts I got from CPP worked great.

New steering linkage

New steering wheel with tilt

Original steering wheel. I think many of you will probably prefer this but let me build my dream truck haha.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
Phoax

I figured I should mention I added power steering to the truck so the small diameter steering wheel is no problem. No power steering in 67'. The motor in the truck is a used 350 crate engine I found on craigslist that came with a power steering pump. All of the engine accessories are on one giant bracket. I found it easier and less expensive to add a power steering gear than to subtract the the pump from the engine. I picked one up for $60 at the local junkyard. It didn't just drop in but I figured it out with a cutting torch.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoax View Post
I figured I should mention I added power steering to the truck so the small diameter steering wheel is no problem. No power steering in 67'. The motor in the truck is a used 350 crate engine I found on craigslist that came with a power steering pump. All of the engine accessories are on one giant bracket. I found it easier and less expensive to add a power steering gear than to subtract the the pump from the engine. I picked one up for $60 at the local junkyard. It didn't just drop in but I figured it out with a cutting torch.

Glad to see you got it all dialed in. I have a small wheel on my '72 C30 and I like it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote