The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
72malibu

Factory AC (vs aftermarket) - What's needed?

Hello,

I'm helping my dad get his 75 GMC Gentleman Jim back on the road (second owner since 77). We have a California cab that is being taken to the body shop this week. The original and replacement cabs are AC cabs.

My dad took off most of the AC parts (compressor, condenser, etc.) from his truck years ago and lost them. Of course, both cabs still have the ducts and controls.

The body shop wants to know which direction he's going -- no AC, factory AC, or aftermarket AC.

I'm inclined to think factory AC (partly b/c of the ability to use outside air and because the controls/ducts are already there).

What parts are required to get a factory setup going? Is there a certain compressor or any other parts that are needed? Everything has been removed from the firewall on the new cab for prep/paint, so from the firewall forward we have a blank canvas with the factory AC holes to work with. I believe we have an unbroken upper housing from the new cab and unbroken lower housing from the old cab.

A list of the proper parts (e.g., what compressor, condenser, and any special parts for getting an old system working by today's standards) would be highly appreciated. My dad isn't getting younger and I want for him to enjoy his truck next summer.
72malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Factory AC (vs aftermarket) - What's needed?

They both (factory & aftermarket) work about the same. Instead of trying to dig up old original stuff (lots is not reproduced either), I think I would go with a Vintage Air aftermarket unit.

1. It looks a lot cleaner in the engine bay with the aftermarket.
2 It gets rid of the vacuum stuff, which can be problematic at time.
3. You can get spart parts.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
SSSilverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72malibu View Post
Hello,

I'm helping my dad get his 75 GMC Gentleman Jim back on the road (second owner since 77). We have a California cab that is being taken to the body shop this week. The original and replacement cabs are AC cabs.

My dad took off most of the AC parts (compressor, condenser, etc.) from his truck years ago and lost them. Of course, both cabs still have the ducts and controls.

The body shop wants to know which direction he's going -- no AC, factory AC, or aftermarket AC.

I'm inclined to think factory AC (partly b/c of the ability to use outside air and because the controls/ducts are already there).

What parts are required to get a factory setup going? Is there a certain compressor or any other parts that are needed? Everything has been removed from the firewall on the new cab for prep/paint, so from the firewall forward we have a blank canvas with the factory AC holes to work with. I believe we have an unbroken upper housing from the new cab and unbroken lower housing from the old cab.

A list of the proper parts (e.g., what compressor, condenser, and any special parts for getting an old system working by today's standards) would be highly appreciated. My dad isn't getting younger and I want for him to enjoy his truck next summer.
Dude, I'm near Fredericksburg, VA and I have a lot of old ac parts I'd let go to another project, I don't need to keep them and if they can be used. Mine was factory air 82 Silverado. I went w/ aftermarket Classic Auto Air, and it was a great kit.

Old parts, I have condenser, compressor, dash control, duct work, fresh air flaps, old but ok radiator, etc. Not great condition, but maybe ok, not trash either. Let me know if you're interested. I'm not an ac expert, I don't know all the parts you may need for factory setup.
SSSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
SSSilverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
They both (factory & aftermarket) work about the same. Instead of trying to dig up old original stuff (lots is not reproduced either), I think I would go with a Vintage Air aftermarket unit.

1. It looks a lot cleaner in the engine bay with the aftermarket.
2 It gets rid of the vacuum stuff, which can be problematic at time.
3. You can get spart parts.

Again, just my 2 cents.
I agree with this. The aftermarket kit I got from Classic Auto Air was pretty good. Instructions were a little vague in some spots, but ok. Parts are good quality. Also agree my firewall cleaned up with aftermarket kit.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
72malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSilverado View Post
I agree with this. The aftermarket kit I got from Classic Auto Air was pretty good. Instructions were a little vague in some spots, but ok. Parts are good quality. Also agree my firewall cleaned up with aftermarket kit.
Do you know of any benefits of Classic Auto vs Vintage Air? Prices are similar for the kits I see. My dad is skilled and I'm not terrible, so we could do the install, it just takes him a lot longer now. How many hours did it take you?

Also, I truly appreciate the offer re original parts and will keep that in mind. My dad is even closer to you in So. Md.
72malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:24 AM   #6
SSSilverado

Not sure about comparing the kits, I almost went with another company but decided on Classic Auto Air, their kit was new to market when I got it like a year plus ago. I like the aftermarket kit, connections to firewall can be clean, not too much box under dash. There was something about the evap box inside that was better with CAA, it could be opened & repaired if needed, case not glued shut or something, plus CAA used large coils or something. I do recommend CAA having been thru the whole kit, I still need to get AC dialed in by pro.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
SSSilverado

Light side, Dark side.
Attached Images