The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
Dropt72Shortbed

tips on putting doors on?

just set my new cab on the frame and im ready to put the doors on it. now the paint is new on the cab and i dont want to scratch it all up, the doors are not painted yet so i dont care about them. whats the best way to get the doors on without scratching any paint? also whats a good way to align everything?

any tips would be great.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:57 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I would tape all of your door edges to protect the paint. Put tape on your hinges as well. It sounds like the doors will be coming off again so you will be ahead to use lots of tape. I would also get an extra set of hands to help out. Then make a small sacrifice to the paint chip gods and say a prayer...
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

This is the way I put doors on. (No windows in door).

Install door latch and striker, set striker so that it is set higher
and closer to the outside. Put 3-4 shims in place on striker

Cut out 3"x 34" cardboard and lay on rocker, tape in place.
Use thick cardboard as this sets your bottom gap.

Install both hinges onto the door, centering on the verticle, and placed so the door will be out, (hinges adjusted in).

You can do this by yourself, but it helps to have extra hands and eyes to guide the door into place.

Set the bottom of the door onto the cardboard. When I do this, I feel that I can control the door, so I don't protect the sides. Add side protection if you feel it is necessary. Once you have door centered and setting onto the cardboard, locate the door inward,
watching for gap on both sides and latch. If you set the latch up higher and out, clearance should be good. I want to point out that we always do a mockup of the doors well before painting, so we know they will fit.

The hinges have to be guided into place at the same time. Start all of the hinge bolts and check to see how the fit is. The body line on the door should be hiher than the cab because when you add the weight of the windows and the door hanging down, the line will be easier to adjust for because you start out with the striker up higher. It helps to compensate.

This should give you a rough fitted door. From there adjust the hinges and striker to give the best fit.

Good luck!

Jim

Last edited by JimKshortstep4x4; 03-31-2003 at 07:58 PM.
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
slogo

Quote:
Originally posted by 1971Stepside
I would also get an extra set of hands to help out. Then make a small sacrifice to the paint chip gods and say a prayer...
i know this is no help but GOOD LUCK.
slogo is offline   Reply With Quote