The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

Anyone running ORD custom leafs?

Im getting ready to pull the trigger on a $2900 full front and rear custom leaf setup with resevoir shocks on m 71 4wd Blazer. Anyone have these on their blazer? Any insight? Would you do anything differently?

Having a hard time spending that money.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Blazerowner

Re: Anyone running ORD custom leafs?

I've heard good things about them but man that's a some money. Guess you get what you pay for though.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I've heard good things about them but man that's a some money. Guess you get what you pay for though.
Thanks for the response. Not getting alot of these now a days.

That is my issue.. I know i want a soft ride with lots of travel and its pretty much the only company out there that offers this. I am getting a LOTT of product for that money but its just so hard dropping 3gs on a truck i paid 4 gs for. I know im restoring it and this will be with me forever its just hard.

I know i could go skyjacker and it will be better, but NOTHING compared from what im reading.

and sold.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Blazerowner

I have a lift in my garage but I can't remember the name. They claim a soft ride but I won't know until I install it. I have seen people mention ORD springs are the softest you can get but I don't know personally. Have you considered the shackle flip. I don't know how their springs compare to the originals but they are supposed to be the softest considering they don't arch as much.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
tjsblazer

ORD specs the springs but they are purchased through Alcan springs down the road from them. Between Alcan in CO and Deaver in CA they are probably the most popular custom springs for 4x4. They build them the same general way which is thinner gauge, higher leaf count and they are one off custom based on many different criteria that you provide.
ie. usage, ride height, locations on winches, spare tires, larger fuel tanks, typical passenger and cargo weight, hard top on or off, axle align to opening, etc.

I bought from ORD because I let them do all the spec work with Alcan so it was easier for me and ORD definitely knows Chevy 4x4. I have also heard similar good things about Deaver so I think you could get either depending on your location and they would be a similar experience.

I don't remember them being as much as you stated. I had honestly thought about 1/2 of that but that was for the springs only. I guess once you start adding shackles and bushings and new shocks it starts to add up. Bear in mind the shackles and bushings and shocks you would probably do with any springs. Yes still much spendier than a mass produced off the shelf.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:57 AM   #6
Radiatta_71

I had a set on a short bed chevy. they are great offroad lots of flex. too soft for the street though. But I also had sloppy steering which magnified it.

I sold the truck and kept the springs so I think I'm going to put them on my Blazer but will add a sway bar.
Radiatta_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsblazer View Post
ORD specs the springs but they are purchased through Alcan springs down the road from them. Between Alcan in CO and Deaver in CA they are probably the most popular custom springs for 4x4. They build them the same general way which is thinner gauge, higher leaf count and they are one off custom based on many different criteria that you provide.
ie. usage, ride height, locations on winches, spare tires, larger fuel tanks, typical passenger and cargo weight, hard top on or off, axle align to opening, etc.

I bought from ORD because I let them do all the spec work with Alcan so it was easier for me and ORD definitely knows Chevy 4x4. I have also heard similar good things about Deaver so I think you could get either depending on your location and they would be a similar experience.

I don't remember them being as much as you stated. I had honestly thought about 1/2 of that but that was for the springs only. I guess once you start adding shackles and bushings and new shocks it starts to add up. Bear in mind the shackles and bushings and shocks you would probably do with any springs. Yes still much spendier than a mass produced off the shelf.
That price included resevoir shocks also. Those are 200 a pop. I do plan on having a winch one day and i want it set up for hard or soft top. I will let them all know that. Once i get my broncobob cage in, i will get the suspension ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiatta_71 View Post
I had a set on a short bed chevy. they are great offroad lots of flex. too soft for the street though. But I also had sloppy steering which magnified it.

I sold the truck and kept the springs so I think I'm going to put them on my Blazer but will add a sway bar.
I want soft, especially for high speed sand. Mine rides so ridiculously hard right now its laughable.

and sold.