The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
'67 C10

'67 C10 Bed Body Line Alignment

Happy Holidays!

I have a '67 that was an original step side. The PO had purchased a new fleet side bed for it. I noticed when I picked the truck up that the cab to bed body line was way off (like the bed was shimmed way up).

After a couple of weeks, I just can't figure it out. The bed lays mostly on the second bed mount from the front. It does not lay on the the bed mount closes to the cab. I can shim the rear up, which lowers the front, but not enough.

The cab has a new mount kit in it.

Are the fleet side and step side bolt on replacements? What am I missing here?

Any options other than shimming the cab up or modifying the frame bed mounts?

Last edited by '67 C10; 12-23-2021 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Made the title more fitting.
'67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
Mickeymotormount

Re: '67 Fleet Side vs Step Side Bed Height

Alot of times the cab settles over the years due to rotting rubber cab mounts or mushy cab supports or a combination of both.

I believe the bed should just bolt on. I would think the brackets on the frame are the same for fleetside or stepside beds.

Perhaps when the new cab supports were installed, the cab was not jacked up to account for the settling that occurs over the years which can cause the body lines to not line up. Maybe you can add some shims to the rear cab supports to help with aligning the body lines.

1967 C20 2WD Longbed

2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended cab long bed
Mickeymotormount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
'67 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymotormount View Post
Alot of times the cab settles over the years due to rotting rubber cab mounts or mushy cab supports or a combination of both.

I believe the bed should just bolt on. I would think the brackets on the frame are the same for fleetside or stepside beds.

Perhaps when the new cab supports were installed, the cab was not jacked up to account for the settling that occurs over the years which can cause the body lines to not line up. Maybe you can add some shims to the rear cab supports to help with aligning the body lines.
Thanks for the idea's. We actually had the cab off to sandblast the frame and replaced the cab bushings going back on. We did replace rear cab metal mounts, but they fit tight to the original rivet holes.

It's looking more and more like shimming may be the fix.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
ga-stepside

Just a thought...Did the PO change the bed cross sills when he changed the bed? According to AMD's web site they are different.

https://www.autometaldirect.com/body...-c-23_345.html
ga-stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #5
'67 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-stepside View Post
Just a thought...Did the PO change the bed cross sills when he changed the bed? According to AMD's web site they are different.

https://www.autometaldirect.com/body...-c-23_345.html
That's an interesting thought. It looks to me like that should come as part of a new bed unit, right? Runs side to side? I suppose he could have put the step side sills on, but I think they come with the bed.

I'd love to hear this isn't the case. And this point, the bed sits directly on the frame mounts. Two in the front, two in the back. Only the very back one and the second from the front (on the bracket) actually touch without shims.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:36 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

The cabs are the same so the Fleetside will line up on a truck that was originally a Stepside. You have some other issue

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #7
ga-stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67 C10 View Post
That's an interesting thought. It looks to me like that should come as part of a new bed unit, right? Runs side to side? I suppose he could have put the step side sills on, but I think they come with the bed.

I'd love to hear this isn't the case. And this point, the bed sits directly on the frame mounts. Two in the front, two in the back. Only the very back one and the second from the front (on the bracket) actually touch without shims.
The cross sills sit on top of the frame mounts. That would give you the shims you need...possibly. According to AMD the ones for the steel bed are different than for the wood bed, check the AMD link for the correct ones or just call them. They are right up the street from me and I have gotten a lot of good advice from them. If you do not have those cross members that could be your problem.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:43 PM   #8
Richard

C10 cab mounts are different than the C20 and K10-K20. Were the right ones used? Also had bad luck with the LMC cab mounts myself and heard others have as well.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
'67 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
C10 cab mounts are different than the C20 and K10-K20. Were the right ones used? Also had bad luck with the LMC cab mounts myself and heard others have as well.
The cab mounts were ordered correctly, but I guess they could have been shipped wrong. We did one side at a time and they seemed to sit in the right location.

This is one of those frustration points that starts to raise doubts in ones mind. I know part of an "off frame" is solving issues, but it would be nice if SOMETHING just worked.

The one thing that makes me feel better is the bed was like this when I purchased it. So I don't think it was anything I did. I assumed it was cab mounts. But the way it sits on the frame is just odd.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #10
ga-stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67 C10 View Post
The cab mounts were ordered correctly, but I guess they could have been shipped wrong. We did one side at a time and they seemed to sit in the right location.

This is one of those frustration points that starts to raise doubts in ones mind. I know part of an "off frame" is solving issues, but it would be nice if SOMETHING just worked.

The one thing that makes me feel better is the bed was like this when I purchased it. So I don't think it was anything I did. I assumed it was cab mounts. But the way it sits on the frame is just odd.
Well it seems I am way off on this cross sills thing. I looked at some videos on YouTube and it appears those cross sills ARE part of the metal bed floor. So I guess that is not your issue. Sorry about my ignorance as far a fleetside beds go.

Last edited by ga-stepside; 12-22-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
Fbks_Cruiser

How about some pictures?

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #12
'67 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbks_Cruiser View Post
How about some pictures?
We are working on the passenger door alignment today, I'll get some.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #13
'67 C10

Ok, pictures. Keep in mind we have the rear of the bed shimmed up enough that the front of the bed is hard against the front bed mounts. This amounts to about 3/4" in the rear. The second bed mount (from the rear) doesn't touch the frame.

A few points:
The cab does have new LMC rubber (not poly) cab mounts.
This is a new bed, no idea on the origin. Came with the truck.
As I look back over delivery pictures, the body line was like this when I purchased the truck.

Last edited by '67 C10; 12-23-2021 at 02:34 PM.