The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
motornutz

1 tooth off, 180 out or ???

ive got my rig all back together, fuel line replaced with steel, hei, tune up kit, carb and manifold on and its still not right. i have an edelbrock 1407 (i know way too big for a stock sbc) that needs 4 turns out on the fuel valve to keep it running. at idle it is fairly smooth, but hit the gas and she pops and spits fuel out the carb then dies. if i turn the screws in while running it dies, if i do it while not running it wont start. it also diesels real bad when i turn the motor off (advanced?) could i be a tooth off, will this happen if im 180 out? i rechecked the firing order and its fine. when i put the light on it i cant find my mark. i pulled the dizzy tonight and rotated it until i got tdc on number 1. both the intake and exhaust valves are closed (compression) the timing mark is on the 0. do i just drop in the distributor with the vac adv pointed at 7 o clock (firewall is 12) and the rotor pointed at 5? i think im lost ? any advice?
motornutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 1 tooth off, 180 out or ???

Check the sticky threads in the engine and drivetrain forum. There are way too many possibilities for your problems to try to answer them in one post.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
i pulled the dizzy tonight and rotated it until i got tdc on number 1. both the intake and exhaust valves are closed (compression) the timing mark is on the 0. do i just drop in the distributor with the vac adv pointed at 7 o clock (firewall is 12) and the rotor pointed at 5? i think im lost ? any advice?
rotor should point to/near #1 at TDC when you drop the dizzy in.

have you also checked for vacuum leaks?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
motornutz

i checked for leaks, couldnt find any. so i should put the dizzy back in withthe rotor pointed at 1, right
Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornutz View Post
i checked for leaks, couldnt find any. so i should put the dizzy back in withthe rotor pointed at 1, right
only if at TDC for #1. otherwise, turn the engine until you get to TDC at #1

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Sounds like it is getting too much gas, if 180 out it would not run at all. 1 tooth off, you would still be able to rotate the dist. and it would run OK, but dist would be in a wierd spot, or vacuum canister would be up against the firewall. (Pretty much self evident that something is wrong). Make sure you have #1 cylinder at TDC and timing marker pointing at groove on balancer. I make a mark with a scribe on the dist. housing that corresponds to where #1 is on the cap, thn be sure rotor is pointing at #1. What CFM is the 1407? Sounds like it is getting too much gas, if 180 out it would not run at all.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Myself

I disagree with the above. A Chevy smallblock will start and run poorly if the dist. is 180 off. I have done this a couple times in the past. Also if it's an older damper on the crank, do not trust the timing mark, it might be off. Kill the power to the dist. Then have a helper bump the engine over while you hold your finger in #1 plug hole. When the compression starts building then look for the timing mark. Use a small screwdriver as a feeler in the plug hole and have your helper rock the crank back and forth until you are sure it's at TDC. Now, look at your timing mark and confirm it is INDEED at 0. I have seen older units as much as 20 degrees off!!
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
motornutz

a 1407 carb is 750 cfm. i thought with such a big carb id barely have to turn the screws out much at all. i used that carb because it was laying around. i have an old q-jet, but i knew it didnt work well. i used a long screwdriver as a feeler and the piston is definitely all the way up. im still at 0 with my marker. this sound like a go? anyone know how many turns out on the carb it'll take to get me close. what should i set the timing to with an hei? is 8 btdc about right? thanks
Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornutz View Post
a 1407 carb is 750 cfm. i thought with such a big carb id barely have to turn the screws out much at all. i used that carb because it was laying around. i have an old q-jet, but i knew it didnt work well. i used a long screwdriver as a feeler and the piston is definitely all the way up. im still at 0 with my marker. this sound like a go? anyone know how many turns out on the carb it'll take to get me close. what should i set the timing to with an hei? is 8 btdc about right? thanks
Make sure the motor is on #1 mark the dizzy cap with a marker for #1 post
when you to drop in the dizzy it will have to go back about one post counter clock wise then set it down it will not go all the way down because of the pump shaft. now with the dizzy without 12volt power tick the key and it will find the pump shaft and fall the rest of the way down. firing order is 18436572 with old style cam shaft. put your wires on back in that order. set your timming at 10-12* at idle with out vac advance. if you are racing it bring it up to 3000rpm and and set it for 36* let the idle timming be happy where it is at. I live in michigan also if you need help just a phone call away.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote