The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
bguild

Project "Edna Marie"

Well another one has started..... This one is going to be different than the other 3 I have had. Different in the sense this one will be done right. Ever since I have sold my 1968 Chevy Shortbed that I had in high school I have wanted another one. That truck was a Gold SWB lowered truck. It was a great truck. I had to sell that one since I was heading off to college and I needed a more dependable vehicle. I went about 10 years without owning a 67-72 Chevy truck. My second one I bought for 750 bucks was a complete rust bucket and I realized after stripping it down it was to far gone. I ended up parting it out. The 3rd one I had was the closest to the start of the truck I wanted.
Project Low Dough. See build thread...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post4236866
after buying this truck I realized some things I did not like. The main being it was a cut down long bed. There was also rust above the windsheild and tearing it down to make the truck what I really wanted seemed like to much work and mess. I ended up posting it on Craiglist just seeing if I could get the money I wanted and sure enough it was gone in a week. I was a little sad when it left the house.
Since selling that truck and also selling my beloved Harley Road King I have been pondering what to do. I have had this dream truck build in my mind for awhile. I love the Porterbuilt Fab trucks and also the LS engines. I really want to build that truck. The more I thought about it I had decided that the truck I wanted to build meant buying a truck and scraping half of it. With that said I thought buying a frame and cab made more sense. LESS MESS... I was going to wait on this project for a few years until my girls got a little bit older (2 and 5) and money freed up some. My wife is going back to school and we will be on one income for the next few years. Even though I was going to wait on this project I kept searching the parts for sale board and still watching the site for something.
I ran across a 1967 Chevy SWB frame roller and cab that board member CHEESEMAN or Tyler was selling. He said he was going to scrap it if he didnt sell it soon. I didnt want to have that happen and it was exactly what I was looking for minus it has a small back glass. I called him and talked about price and agreed on a price of 350 pending more pictures. He sent more pictures and I also checked into getting a title for it since it did not have one. The VIN numbers did match on frame and cab
After doing research on KS laws I talked my Stepdad (who also loves these trucks) into buying it since I live in MO. It is easier to get titles for old cars in KS it only requires a Bill of Sale and a VIN Inspection. Once I had everything figured out I made the long drive to north MO and picked up the truck. I thought for 350 I couldnt pass on it.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
bguild

Re: Project "Edna Marie"

Here are some pictures of the truck as I got it. I wish I would have got some pics of it on the trailer on the way home but I didnt. This is it as I pulled it in the garage.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
bguild

As you can see the truck is rusty but it does not have a ton of rot through. The rust is from sitting in a barn after sandblasting. The truck has most of what I wanted there. The frame is pretty good and the cab is a good start. The most important thing before starting this project is getting a title. I did not want to do anything to this until getting a title. I made about 20 calls to the Vin inspection office in KS and thought I had it all figured out. I ended up loading it up and taking it to the vin inspection office. Well come to find out I couldnt pass the vin inspection due to it not being a complete truck. I needed all the sheetmetal. This wasnt a lost trip though. They did run the vin and check things out and all checked out okay. They said all I needed was the sheetmetal and I could pass. I then made a call back to Cheeseman becaue I saw he had a ton of parts he was trying to get rid of. He ended up having all the front end parts and doors. He ended up selling all the parts for 200 bucks. I now had 550 bucks in this truck plus gas money. The bad is that I had a ton of parts and the garage was getting cluttered again. I was hoping I wouldnt have to deal with all of this. Anyway instead of selling it I told myself to be patient and I would get the title for it.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
bguild

The parts I got from Cheeseman were in pretty good shape and I feel I got a great deal for 200 bucks The all need a small amount of work but workable. I will post picks of the parts later today.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
bguild

After getting all these parts I still needed a bed. This was going to be the tough part because beds are expensive... especially shortbeds. I just happen to come across VIC1947 on this board. He had just bought a truck that was going to be redone.
Here are his two trucks.
Silver Streaker
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550387

Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563833

He actually gave me a short stepside bed that was to far gone to work with. The neat thing is that he lives less than a mile from my house. I have a feeling he might be a new long time friend. It is a small world out there and this board is great to connect people with the same hobbies. Vic and I are in different stages of life. I am just learning how to do all the fabrication and he has years of experience. I hope to learn a few things from him. He does some very nice work.

Anyway back to the story. Since giving me his truck bed I made another trip to the VIN inspection office. This time I passed the inspection. I have all paperwork my Step-dad needs to apply for a title.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
bguild

Now that I have the paper work I am going through a strip down of the truck. I am pulling all suspension out of this thing. I plan get it stripped down to the frame and cab so I can start the work. I am going to sell all the parts I am not using. Including front rear suspension, wheels and tires, and some other parts. They will be going to the board within the next week once everything is removed.
I also picked up a nice roof for free from SDUCKWORTH.. Since i dont like the small back glass I am planning on grafting the big back window into this cab. I know this will be a challenge but I have a pretty good game plan to do it. The roof has a ton of hail damage anyway so it would make sense to replace the roof skin and back glass section to make this what i want. I also pulled the uncut stereo section out of the donor cab SDUCKWORTH gave me. The rest went to scrape.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
bguild

My plan for this truck is to do Porterbuilt front and rear.. LQ4 or LQ9 engine and some 22 inch billet wheels. I really like 67CHEBY truck and also n2Billet's trucks. I like the original look with modern suspension. I plan to add the modern engine to mine since i am a computer guy I dig the idea of fuel management and computer management.
This build will be slow and on going so dont expect a ton of updates in a short period. Again my plan is to do it right.. doing it right means money which I dont have right now while my wife is going back to school. The good is that I have alot of sheetmetal work to do which is just time consuming. (-;

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Low Elco

First Page! Gotta see where this one goes. Where's Momma going to school? What for?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
bguild

Another thing to add. The reason for the name Edna Marie is becuase that was my grandmother's name. She passed away a few years ago from a battle with cancer and I miss her daily. I was very close to her and she was the rock in our family. I have always wanted to build my dream truck and name it after her. That way I can enjoy the truck and also remember her when I am cruising.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
bguild

She is going to get her Early Education Degree. She already has an associates and plans to go to Maplewoods to start then transfer to Missouri Western. I figure it will be about 2.5 years.
The good is she plans to pay me back once she gets out and gets a job.. I told her it had to be in Porterbuilt parts and she actually agreed.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Vic1947

I'm in for the long haul ...truly a "ground up" build in more ways than one!
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Glad to see the new build thread.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
bguild

Front crossmember is out. Tried to get the rear trailing arms and rear end out but it is rusted on there so I will have to cut bolts. I will have to buy a new angle grinder because I burnt mine up the other day. Pictures will be added tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
bguild

I made a little progress today. I removed the front crossmember. I am trying to get this torn down to the bare frame and get rid of the parts I will not use when I go to the Porterbuilt set up. I also snapped some pics of the fenders and the donor roof.
Here are the pics.
Out with the old..

Bare frame up front.

The donor roof with big back glass.

Its pretty clean on top

old roof with hail damage.

Front Fenders that I got from Cheeseman.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
67cheby
67cheby

looks like a great start ! looking forward to some more progress !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
bguild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
looks like a great start ! looking forward to some more progress !
You might be looking more fwd to me buying some inner fenders from you. (-;
Posted via Mobile Device

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
bguild

Laying frame. Now i just need to put some suspension and a drivetrain LOL.

Rear end is out and trailing arms are out.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
67chevy1series

so your ditching the small winder? haha gonna be a cool truck. from the pics it looks like another blue interior and white exterior from the factory. this was probably the most popular color choice for the 67. seems 6 out of 10 67s had this color combo.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
bguild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
so your ditching the small winder? haha gonna be a cool truck. from the pics it looks like another blue interior and white exterior from the factory. this was probably the most popular color choice for the 67. seems 6 out of 10 67s had this color combo.
Yes I am planning on ditching the sma window. Hopefully I can get it put in right. If not I will be in search for a new cab (-;
Posted via Mobile Device

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
mcbassin
Still Learning

cool start to another project. I'm in.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
bguild

I did get some stuff done today. I am disassembling the donor roof. So far I have the drip rail cut off and most pinch welds drilled out aroun the drip rail. I am going to pull the outter roof,back window and inner rear window out tomorrow. I plan to clean those up as much as possible and then cut out the small window and roof out of the good cab. I assume there is going to be a great deal of rust underneath so I hope to clean up as much as possible before welding the new roof and big window in. I will be taking pictures tomorrow so people will know what they are in for if they do this. I am learning as I go and hopeful that i do not trash this cab but if I do i will be looking for a new cab. I think I have it figured out on how to do this the easiest and it should be fairly easy if all goes the way I hope. More to be added tomorrow.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
Low Elco

This oughta be interesting. Good luck, I'm pullin' for ya!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
Hardesty454

Nice start. Keep it updated!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #24
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Post up those pics. Can't wait to see hw the roof swap goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
bguild

Well the Boston Bombing chase really cut into my truck time yesterday. I ended up not sleeping the night before due to watching alot of it yesterday. This one hit a little more close to home for me than 9.11 becuaes I now travel for work and am in the medical field. I was in boston last week and also did work at Mass General and Newark Beth along with Newton Wellesley hospitals. The infusion pumps i installed and handled are on the patients that were caught up in this mess. Another factor is two years ago I decided I wanted to qaulify for the boston marathon. I was close to making the cut and then hurt my foot. It had made me think most likely I would have been running this marathon if it was not for that. It could have been me or my wife and kids. I have been a little more tied to the coverage of this mess due to these factors. I am very glad they caught those guys. With all that said I did cut up the donor roof yesterday and I plan to post pictures here shortly. This is going to be a long project to get this roof right if I can even get to work right..

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED

Last edited by bguild; 04-20-2013 at 08:50 AM.