The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #11
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Too Cool! I'm diggin' that console. I don't have that much energy-I'm just not that smart. I bought the biggest steaming turd of a 78 SWB in Jackson County for me, then Was a softie and took in a 67 GMC Stepper to finish out for someone else. In the middle of wiring now. I wish posting pics was easier, I miss making threads. But it's too big a PITA when I'm already tired. Can't wait to see this on the streets!
Me too, Chip. Got a long way to go, though.

Been doing a lot of little things like finishing up the tack strips, welding some spuds into the B pillar for the shoulder harness and prepping my universal wiring kit for installation. One of the problems I have to resolve is placement for the various electronic modules. Also, the EFI has it's own harness, part of which will reside in the passenger compartment. The Vintage Air evaporator and duct work removes a significant amount of real estate under the dash. It's already in the way of a lot of other stuff like the clock, glove box and the surface mounted a/c outlet on the passenger side. So I'm trying to mount as many of the boxes under the console as is practical.

I located the main fuse panel in the same general area (kick panel) as the stock unit. Had to revise the various wiring bundles to work with my layout, but most of the wires are now ready for terminals. Meanwhile, I had to finish the surround for the console so I'd know what kind of room I have for electronic stuff. I left about 3/8" clearance between the surround and the walls of the console. That will allow the upholstery shop to carpet the sides of the surround like they do at the factory. Then when the console sits down in place it will have a nice finished look to it. Used some foam weatherstrip to mock up the clearance and traced a pattern on the top of the bench to use as a go-by for forming the sheetmetal. All the angles and curves were kinda tricky, but it doesn't have to be precise. The carpet will hide all the ugly.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote