The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
sierragrande71

Smile Zo6 LS6 motor swap anyone ever done one?

Hello, everybody just wondering if anybody has swapped a z06 or third gen motor for that matter, into trucks like ours? A co-worker of mine has a wrecked '02 zo6 corvette complete with motor and 6spd tranny. that he'll sell to me for $2,500.00. I don't care for all of the electronics involved, I was going to get it and ripp off the EFI set-up and run it with a carburetor ( i seen it done on the internet and magazines for other vehicles). Don't know what kind of frame mods or anything else that will have to be done? Anybody out there have clue or possibly lead into the right direction, so that I can possibly try to successfully accomplish this. Any info will be greatly appreciated! I was planning to put this in my old ex-farmer '69 c-10 swb fleetside. THANKS!
sierragrande71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
GREASEMONKEY72

Re: Zo6 LS6 motor swap anyone ever done one?

ive seen alot of ls1 swaps and such and i dont think that the ls6 mounts any different so it should be easy and all you have to do is put on a new intake, carb and dizzy and youre haulin ass

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
metalmassfab

Well sir, I dont have any experience with ZO6 swap like this, but I try to go out of my way to help fellow enthusiasts...I can tell you a couple things. First off, $2500 for the motor, tranny, and computer/wiring is a killer deal, especially if it runs! Jegs sells carb'd LS2 engines with 440 hp for $5200, plus the 6-speed is $2000+. Get it quick!!! I too would toss the stock EFI (actually, sell it on ebay, along with the computer/harness...probly get at least $500 for those to help pay for the intake, carb, etc...) and run a carb. There are few carb conversion intakes available to make the swap easy. GMPP makes the one shown in the first 2 pics. The main things you are probly concerned with are motor mounts/adapters, and tranny mounting...right? Well, I know someones got to be making those, maybe a lttle help here fellas...? If not, motor mounts and tranny mounts/X-members are easy to fabricate...and I've been wanting to build some late model mounts for these trucks anyway...

Damn, this looks good!!!

More 'makin the swap easy' parts:
NOTE: Some of the intakes come with the ignition unit...

Ignition Controller for LS-1/LS-6
Carbureted Engines and EFI GEN III Engines, around $300

To some, putting a carburetor on a GM Gen III V-8 is a step back in progress, but to many enthusiasts that do not want to run high pressure fuel lines and miles of wiring, this is a giant step in the right direction!
GM Performance Parts and Edelbrock now offer cast aluminum intake manifolds that allow the installation of a carburetor on these advanced small blocks. But, without the EFI’s ECU, they needed a controller to fire the ignition and MSD stepped up to the plate.
This compact ignition controller is fit with matching factory connectors for a direct installation. Only a handful of connections are required; the coils, crank sensor, MAP sensor and the cam sensor. This Controller also allows you to map a timing advance curve with MSD’s easy-to-use Pro-Data+ software. Other features that you can set include a two step rev limiter, a vacuum advance curve for cruising economy and even a step retard in case you want to add a little nitrous to the mix.

This pic is the Edelbrock LS dual plane, and it includes the ignition control, for $700. Edelbrock also makes a Victor series single plane intake for the LS engines, for $50 less, if you dont mind losing some low end torque.

Hope this helps, you've probly already found this stuff and are doing the 'ol

New Projects:
-New radiator core supports, steel and stainless
-Aluminum radiators
-Aluminum dual electric fan shrouds

'69 C-20 Custom
'69 Nova...BIG BBC soon
'72 3-door 'Burb...in a few
'94 K2500 454 'Burb
metalmassfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
billyjo

It is a LS1 swap, many companies out there with adapters, I think Shifty is using the 6 speed and he's got some pretty informational write ups.

If it was me I'd use the electronics, at first they are quite intimidating but after you get them figured out there are a piece of cake and it gives you the ability to use all of the computer functions. With the computer your tuning options are endless.

Bill

1972 K/5 4x4, Radixed LS1 6.0, 428HP/445TQ, Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam, WCCH 90mm J-Tube, LS2 90mm TB, Stainless Works Headers, NV4500, 4.56 gears, Detroit Lockers, 14 bolt FF, Dana 60, 4 wheel disk Hydro Brakes, dual electric fans, Autometer guages, 4" lift, Zero Rates, Weld Evo Velocity XT8 wheels, 35x12.5x17 Super Swamper SSR's.....
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tos/?start=all
billyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierragrande71 View Post
A co-worker of mine has a wrecked '02 zo6 corvette complete with motor and 6spd tranny. that he'll sell to me for $2,500.00.

I don't care for all of the electronics involved, I was going to get it and ripp off the EFI set-up and run it with a carburetor ( i seen it done on the internet and magazines for other vehicles).
I agree, that is a smokin deal for sure - I'd buy that quick before someone else does.

As for the carb, I'd run that motor package as is. Much more efficient then any carb setup. LS1 type motor swaps look great in the engine bay as well

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote