The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #276
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

I can only say WOW!!!... I am having to wipe the drool off of the key board...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #277
sduckworth13

Wow!!! The car is looking awesome Vic! Thanks for having me over, it's always cool to get to see your work in person.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:13 AM   #278
swamp rat

Call me jelious.... comming together nicely!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #279
texasld

The quality of work you do both inspires me and makes me want to quit. keep it up, Vic!!!
2010 Harley Street Glide

Check Out My Build!: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617981
texasld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #280
jlsanborn

That is a TON of work you've done Vic. Farting around with that big bumper with everything being painted must be a PITA too. The vinyl inserts look cooler with each photo you post! Goes perfectly with the paint colors you've chosen. Looking great!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #281
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
I can only say WOW!!!... I am having to wipe the drool off of the key board...
BBZZZZZTTT!!! <electronic smoke wafting upwards> Thanks, Dan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Wow!!! The car is looking awesome Vic! Thanks for having me over, it's always cool to get to see your work in person.
It's great to have you so close to the house and I appreciate the help, Scott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Call me jelious.... comming together nicely!
Hey, Mike, good to see you back on the rat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasld View Post
The quality of work you do both inspires me and makes me want to quit. keep it up, Vic!!!
N0 no no no no! No quitting, Mike! Your project is looking great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
That is a TON of work you've done Vic. Farting around with that big bumper with everything being painted must be a PITA too. The vinyl inserts look cooler with each photo you post! Goes perfectly with the paint colors you've chosen. Looking great!!
Thanks, John. I've already got a few small scratches and chips from wallowing around like a water buffalo. Even with the interior out, it can get remarkably cramped.

This morning I was at Precision at 8AM with the fender stainless. Mike had shot the dark grey and was laying down the tape for the silver two tone. The line can't come out of the spear point like it does in the back, so we did the best we could to break it tastefully. You never really know how it's going to look until the tape comes off. Even with an artist rendering, you'll be surprised at the final result. The last of the parts should be ready to pick up by Wednesday or Thursday.

So after I left Precision, I headed for the upholstery shop. They have a couple of jobs that have taken them longer than they planned so Jeff asked if I could hold off till Monday to bring it in. The way things have been going, it's probably a blessing. I can use the extra time to correct the rear bumper problem and now the gas tank.

Photo below shows the gas tank out of the car, which is not a good thing at this stage of a build. I finally got the wiring to where I could do some preliminary testing. Right away, the fuel gauge pegged out with no gas in the tank. I recall doing some research on it many years ago and thought a Ford sender would work with the gauge. NOT! Kathy looked thru the receipts and found the part number of the gauge (purchased 20 years ago) so I matched it up to the correct sender and got one on the way. I'll have to punch a hole in the tank to convert it to the standard 5 bolt setup, but there's plenty of room on the top to find a suitable place.

I was pretty pleased with the initial electrical testing. I only had one hiccup and that was the left turn indicator. I have a tendency to cut wires too short and use a lot of tie wraps in my quest to keep things tidy. That can cause issues with very small gauge wires like the ones on the LED lights. I'd pulled one of the wires loose from the light, but the fix was easy. I spliced in a new light and it works like a champ. Everything I've tested so far works like it should. Even the remote door opener works from farther away than I thought it would. As soon as the Vintage Air resistor gets here, I'll be able to install and test it as well. There's a shot of the door wiring below. Three relays per side to control the pop lock and power window. Everything is ground activated. The door pulls are 80 pound solenoids and they really thump when they hit.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #282
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post

Hey, Mike, good to see you back on the rat.

Thanks! Progress is slow at the moment.

I matched it up to the correct sender and got one on the way. I'll have to punch a hole in the tank to convert it to the standard 5 bolt setup, but there's plenty of room on the top to find a suitable place.

Oh, its nothing, i just need to punch another hole in the tank... Vic ya make everything sound so easy!

Maybe make an adapter ring for the existing hole? Just a thought.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #283
Vic1947

Quote:
Oh, its nothing, i just need to punch another hole in the tank... Vic ya make everything sound so easy!

Maybe make an adapter ring for the existing hole? Just a thought.
It always starts out sounding easier than it ends up.
Under the existing hole is an interesting component. The fuel pickup and the return line are housed in a contraption that looks like a clown shoe (for lack of a better description). It came out of a Ford Taurus and is a baffle of sorts designed to hold fuel under severe braking, acceleration or cornering. It's pretty cool so it gets to stay. The new sender will have to live in another spot.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #284
jlsanborn

Congrats on the ring-out Vic. Wiring all looks super sanitary! I'm betting we crank that motor here soon eh? Well, as soon as you're done farting around with that fuel tank
Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 AM   #285
Xeen

I think at this point we all have realized that setbacks are part of restorations, nothing ever goes perfectly and sometimes no matter how many years of experience we have under our belts we make mistakes some more costly than others, I've got $1,000 worth of mistakes on my build and I'm sure that's not the last of it.
With that being said, you are a pro and it's obvious you are handling it like one.
Everything looks super as always, go Vic go!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #286
Vic1947

Quote:
Congrats on the ring-out Vic. Wiring all looks super sanitary! I'm betting we crank that motor here soon eh? Well, as soon as you're done farting around with that fuel tank
Motor is ready to crank, but I'm not test firing it until I have coolant in it and can run it long enough to break in the cam. At this point, I don't have time to flush everything out and drop in a roller.

I finished modifying the rear bumper brackets and got it installed today. Looks much better than my first attempt. I also received the fuel sender today. Set it up for the tank depth (7") and cut the hole in the roof of the tank. Used a 2-1/4" saw as I didn't have the recommended 2-5/16". Had to notch it slightly to let the lower retaining ring slip into place, then had to relieve a few places around the perimeter for the screws. It's in and all is good. I'll put the tank back in tomorrow and let the car back down on the ground.

The Vintage Air resistor I broke the other day showed up today, so I installed it and worked on the wiring some more. Still a few things to do. I've sort of run out of room under the dash for the front speakers. I have some surface mount pods and could install the passenger side on the kick panel, but the driver side has the e-brake, fuse panel and hood release in the way, not to mention a half dozen bundles of wiring tucked up under there. I'll have to think on it some more. Maybe something mounted in the console. I bought four 6.5" round Rockford-Fosgates and would really like to use them, though.

Precision called this afternoon and I went over to pick up the fenders and front header panel. I figured they were finished with everything, but the cowl vent grille and the hood scoop inserts were not ready. John said it would probably be the first of next week before Mike could squirt those last few pieces. It all looks great. I'll post some pics when I get the inner panels and trim assembled on the fenders.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #287
jlsanborn

Looking great Vic, nice job on the bumper!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #288
Vic1947

It's been a hectic couple of days since my last post. I think I have fought the '57 to a draw. We're both bloodied and bruised from all the punches and counterpunches. There were several setbacks getting to this point. The first was the fuel sender. I installed it according to the instructions and it still read full when I tested it. Of course, this was AFTER I had the tank back in and all the wiring redone and tie wrapped. Buried in the fine print, it said if the gauge reads full on an empty tank, the float needs to be reversed. So it all had to come apart again. And I'd used red Loctite on the brass screw holding the float <sigh>.

Next up was the Vintage Air controls. After replacing the broken potentiometer, I wanted to be sure everything was hooked up correctly. All the modes and fan speeds worked like they should, but when I moved the fan speed knob to OFF, the fan went to the high speed. Somehow, it's latching the high blower relay and won't reset until the ignition key is moved to OFF. Rick and I spent a lot of time on it and from our testing, it looks like a bad fan speed switch. I'll have to order a new one from Summit and install it later.

Then, while testing the Clarion radio, I hit the eject button for the CD. The motorized face moved forward and rotated 90 degrees like it should, but then wouldn't retract electronically. No error codes, but I couldn't get it to load a CD either. Not much help from Google. The operating instructions mention that it can be manually retracted, but didn't say how. Finally got up enough nerve to manhandle it and was able to return it to the upright and locked position. Radio works great so the CD problem will have to wait for another day.

Last up, when it came time to test the safety button for the driver side pop lock, it wouldn't work. I traced the problem to the pushbutton. No workey, jerky. It's a brand new switch just like the one on the passenger side, but when you press it, it doesn't make contact. So I've found one on eBay and will get it on the way.

The good news is, all the interior wiring is finished as are most of the engine connections. The lights, horn, electric fan and trinary switch will have to wait until the clip is on and I can figure out the best way to route the rest of the wires.

Tomorrow, it heads to the upholstery shop. They'll put in the headliner first and then the glass guys will swing by and install the windshield and back glass. Not sure what will happen next, probably carpet. Then perhaps side panels and garnish moldings, kick panels, package tray, visors and finally the seats. Most of it is ready and waiting to be snapped into place. I plan to use some of the time while the car is out of here to fabricate a basic console. If I get it done in time, they can cover it with the same material as the seats and install it before it leaves. If not, I'll install it later here at the house.

BTW, the wood box is a protective cover I built to keep from denting the tunnel. The light gage metal deforms just looking at it. So the box stays in until the very last. I've already pulled the driveshaft twice to beat the dents out from below. Not wanting to do it again.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vic1947; 04-19-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #289
flashed

Dang that is pretty .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #290
Low Elco

Great work! Headed towards the finish line!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #291
swamp rat

I like how you charge thru the setbacks and just keep pressing forward, great job!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #292
jlsanborn

Lots of brain work going on there Vic. Looking great!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #293
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Dang that is pretty .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Great work! Headed towards the finish line!
Quote:
I like how you charge thru the setbacks and just keep pressing forward, great job!
Quote:
Lots of brain work going on there Vic. Looking great!
Thanks, guys! Today was a milestone day. Called Jeff at the trim shop this morning and he said he was ready for the car. My usual rollback driver was unable to help me as his truck was in the shop and not ready for action. So I contacted another towing service and they were able to come right out and load up the car. Got there safe and sound and it's resting comfortably at the shop. I had to make a couple of trips back and forth before and after lunch to haul a few items. Plus I noticed the trip over had caused the gap on one of the doors to change very slightly, so I readjusted it.

Here at the house, I laid down the carbon fiber tape on the fenders and put the stainless trim on. I'll wait until the fenders are on the car to do the final adjustments. Also got the latch assembly reinstalled on the trunk lid. I need to swing by Metal by the Foot tomorrow and have them shear the material I need for the console. I'm going to give it a shot and see if I can come up with something halfway decent. I took some measurements and ordered a pair of 4" R-F speakers to go into the sides of the console. I think there's just enough room ahead of the shifter assembly to make them fit. I ran the wires from the head unit to the approximate area where they connect. I just didn't want to try to squeeze the 6.5" speakers up under the dash.

On a side note, a tech from Vintage Air called this morning responding to a message I left last Friday. When I explained the issue I was having, he agreed the likely culprit was the switch. Without my asking, he offered to send me a replacement for free. I love free!! Pretty good support there.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #294
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Thanks, guys! Today was a milestone day. Called Jeff at the trim shop this morning and he said he was ready for the car. My usual rollback driver was unable to help me as his truck was in the shop and not ready for action. So I contacted another towing service and they were able to come right out and load up the car. Got there safe and sound and it's resting comfortably at the shop. I had to make a couple of trips back and forth before and after lunch to haul a few items. Plus I noticed the trip over had caused the gap on one of the doors to change very slightly, so I readjusted it.

Here at the house, I laid down the carbon fiber tape on the fenders and put the stainless trim on. I'll wait until the fenders are on the car to do the final adjustments. Also got the latch assembly reinstalled on the trunk lid. I need to swing by Metal by the Foot tomorrow and have them shear the material I need for the console. I'm going to give it a shot and see if I can come up with something halfway decent. I took some measurements and ordered a pair of 4" R-F speakers to go into the sides of the console. I think there's just enough room ahead of the shifter assembly to make them fit. I ran the wires from the head unit to the approximate area where they connect. I just didn't want to try to squeeze the 6.5" speakers up under the dash.

On a side note, a tech from Vintage Air called this morning responding to a message I left last Friday. When I explained the issue I was having, he agreed the likely culprit was the switch. Without my asking, he offered to send me a replacement for free. I love free!! Pretty good support there.
So how long will the car be at the trim shop... I am anxious to see this in one piece... LOL... Tapping fingers and feet with impatience... LOL

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

Old 04-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #295
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
So how long will the car be at the trim shop... I am anxious to see this in one piece... LOL... Tapping fingers and feet with impatience... LOL
Me too, Dan! Thing is, I've been piddling with this project for so long, it feels like it's been moving at light speed since Jan 1. I have no idea how long it will be with Jeff. The seats, side panels and package tray are pretty much done and the headliner is ready made. The main fabrication work left is the carpet, kick panels, visors, windlace and armrests. Plus the console whenever I get it to them. I'm hoping they don't have it more than a week, but one of their guys was out today and nothing got done on it. However, they seem to be pretty fast when other projects don't intrude. If I have it back by May 1, I'll be in good shape. I'll have the inner and outer fenders mated up tomorrow and the console project is the only other time intensive item on the schedule. They don't mind if I come down there to work on it as long as I don't get in their way. So I could install the replacement switches on site, for instance. We'll just have to see how it goes.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #296
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Me too, Dan! Thing is, I've been piddling with this project for so long, it feels like it's been moving at light speed since Jan 1. I have no idea how long it will be with Jeff. The seats, side panels and package tray are pretty much done and the headliner is ready made. The main fabrication work left is the carpet, kick panels, visors, windlace and armrests. Plus the console whenever I get it to them. I'm hoping they don't have it more than a week, but one of their guys was out today and nothing got done on it. However, they seem to be pretty fast when other projects don't intrude. If I have it back by May 1, I'll be in good shape. I'll have the inner and outer fenders mated up tomorrow and the console project is the only other time intensive item on the schedule. They don't mind if I come down there to work on it as long as I don't get in their way. So I could install the replacement switches on site, for instance. We'll just have to see how it goes.
Sweet!!!!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #297
sduckworth13

Those fenders turned out real nice Vic.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #298
Russell Ashley

It's a beauty. I'm like the others, anxious for pics when it's all together. The stainless trim with the carbon fiber filler and the color combo is killer.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #299
Vic1947

Quick update...

The windlace is installed around both doors and the headliner is in! It all looks great. Jeff went ahead and ordered ready made sunvisors that match the headliner. Killer looking stuff. Will try to get some pics in the morning. The glass guys are scheduled for tomorrow afternoon to install the windshield and back glass. I took all the stainless earlier today on one of my trips. I've been building the console frame at the house and shuttling back and forth with the pieces. Take some measurements - go home and tweak the panels. It's coming together, but it would be a lot faster if I'd done it all at the house.

Fingers crossed the glass goes in without a hitch tomorrow. I have a spare windshield, but the back glass would have to be ordered if disaster struck. It has a few tiny oysters around the bottom edge, but hopefully they won't affect the installation.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #300
jlsanborn

Can't wait to see the pictures! Console looks awesome. Are you going to paint that or upholster it? I like that you used metal instead of MDF