The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
riz

Blazer tailgate glass install??

anybody have a tutorial or info on how to install new rear glass into a tailgate on a 82 K5 blazer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

81 C10 short box

82 K5 Blazer
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
blazer2007

Re: Blazer tailgate glass install??

I do believe I ran across one on u tube,have a search
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Pretty simple stuff. Open the gate. Remove the access panel on the inside of the gate. Raise/lower regulator to make the bolts that hold the window to the regulator accessible. Remove the bolts that attach the run channel to the sash (2 per side). Then you can carefully slide the old glass out (it's curved slightly so don't yank straight out).

Reverse the procedure. Slide the new glass in, bolt it up. Run the regulator to the bottom of the travel. Reinstall the access panel. Close gate, roll up window.

Quick tip- if your K5 has a power regulator there is a switch inside the gate that will cut power to the motor once the gate is open. So you won't be able to move it with the gate open. So to move the regulator, unscrew the cable from the motor on the driver's side of the gate. It's a square drive cable like a speedometer cable. Take the free end of the cable you just pulled off and chuck the square cable into a cordless drill. Now you can use the drill to raise/lower the regulator to what ever position you need to get to. Just remember to re-attach the cable to the motor when you are done!

Also while you are there make sure you give the rollers and slides a good dose of lubricant and the gears of the regulator too. The window will move smoother and with less drag.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Fishermen0105

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
anybody have a tutorial or info on how to install new rear glass into a tailgate on a 82 K5 blazer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Precision has a video, pretty straightforward but helps to have a couple helpers holding the glass
Fishermen0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:27 PM   #5
swissarmychainsaw

Crank or electric?
If crank there is a youtube video, if electric it's like the suburbans, Let me know what you need, I've done the burbs a few times
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
SVT-40

I just re-built the tail gate of my 86. It had the manual rear glass. You have to remove one of the rubber wipes from the gate to get the glass out. Removing it will probably damage it beyond fixing. I installed the outer wipe, then the glass, then the inner. It was a real pain to get the inner wipe in.

If you are going to the trouble of replacing the glass, go the full route and replace the felt in the side channels and both the inner and outer rubber window wipes.

Also liberally grease up the regulator use heavy grease. I also replace both nylon rollers on the regulator arms.
SVT-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:19 AM   #7
abig84

One thing that should be added, is dont close the tailgate with the window halfway up. Learned that the hard way
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
SVT-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
One thing that should be added, is dont close the tailgate with the window halfway up. Learned that the hard way
Thats why the US Military painted a warning on their M1009 Blazer's

SVT-40 is offline   Reply With Quote