The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
y5e06

'86 2500 Suburban Rejuvination

I've have had this GMC Suburban for 5+ years. I bought it with 48,000 original miles on it. yes, really! It came from an a lil' old lady in AZ who drive it to the grocery store for 18yrs. many of the seals were dried out but overall ran real well. I used it to tow a race car all over texas and neighboring areas. Its been showing its age.... it is a bone stock, carbed 454, TH400, with 14-bolt FF rear truck. basic doe-skin tan interior and exterior.
For a while now I'd been thinking of picking up a late model suburban to replace it to use for both towing & vacation trips. With fuel prices these days, the 454 just doesn't cut it and the comfort just isn't there. way too expensive to take anywhere.
I kept coming back to the reality of the simplicity of the older trucks. solidly built, basic, great lines, and somewhat oblivious existence to others wanting something to steal. old trucks are just too cool... I just didn't want to get rid of it, but gas is too expensive. This one already has the very heavy duty axle, suspension, & frame.
The newer '96-'99 vortec 350 2500's are interesting but I'd have to spend a bunch replacing parts to ensure reliability without the improvements of the most modern trucks. Texas is flat, so I can get by towing 6000lbs w/ a 5.3L, no sweat.

soooo Putting 1+1+5.3 together I've begun researching a 5.3L swap into this old, solid body. It will give me modern power & economy at a much lower price entry. We'll be able to take those week trips all loaded up in the old beast and maybe I'll get better MPG towing too. *I've already broached the idea many times with the little lady, and she isn't too put off by traveling around in a old rig. so it is a go!*

Anyway here are my plans:

Fuel system
- '88-'91 40G tank swap from TBI truck
- Walbro or similar in tank pump swap for 5.3L pressures (better than sumping or external pump issues)
- appropriate connectors & lines for the higher pressure fuel
-- thinking stainless tube (I can flare for AN fittings) or maybe modern stock type nylon tube & quick disconnects - Dorman products. I don't want braided due to concerns with E85 and teflon lined is expensive!
- early LSX vette stand alone filter/pressure regulator (depends on donor year engine single/double fuel rail)

Trans
- stock TH400 for now
- GM adapter plate & bolts
- stock drive shaft (just put in new U-joints)
- stock converter (good/bad match for 5.3L?)

Engine
- 5.3L 2002-2004ish L59 E85 truck drop-out unit
-- yes, I want to try to run E85 at some point
- integrate factory E85 fuel sensor
- all stock truck accessories from the 5.3L
--alt
--power steering pump
--ac compressor (?), still unsure about adapting lines.
--starter
- home made LSx to BBC motor mount plate type adapters
- locate engine such that TH400 location does not change
- stock 5.3L clutch fan
- current 454 radiator (<1000 miles on current one), maybe shroud too
- 5.3L stock intake ducting, MAF, & air filter
- undecided about drive by wire or by cable
- all 5.3L underhood wiring & fuseblock, to ease integration & expense of swap.
- postpone AC swap details until early summer

exhaust
- stock 5.3L truck manifolds or f-body manifolds
- integrate into current exhaust - already dual exhaust w/ cats

misc
- swap in 1500 350 2wd suburban front springs to drop front end down few inches post swap (will this work? this is 3/4 ton front end w/ springs for 454)
- black painted stock 3/4 ton steel rims w/ thin red pin striping
- black ~2" stripe where the original lower body side moldings were (screwed up paint underneith) w/ thin red pin stripe border
- tint front windows darker. all rear glass already very dark.
- rewire my 7-pin trailer wiring, its old n crusty now.
- sell off 454 to offset project cost
- Hawk Heavy Duty Brake pads (high Cf) - stops ok now, I use trailer brakes when towing. just need a bit more help w/o spending tons of cash for swap.

future
- schoenfeld LSx truck swap headers at some point.
- 4L80E swap & integration into 5.3L Harness (pending proof of concept w/ above changes)
- all chrome bumpers swap
- bumper mount brackets trimmed/welded to suck bumpers in an inch or two
- alternate fuel tank source for better long term compatibility w/ E85

Issues
- finding a COMPLETE setup. Mostly the drop-outs have cut harnesses, missing accessories, no pedal & TAC, and no fuel components (E85 sensor)
- figuring out VSS for swap & 5.3L with old carb'ed truck & TH400. I NEED my cruise control. Programing for engine to run stand alone w/o VSS is less than ideal.
- finding time to start the swap, I need to work on my daily driver camaro soon

yeah, yeah. I know. worthless thread w/o pics... none yet, but coming soon. A friend will be trying his hand at photo shop for the concept images.

feedback?

Morgan

Last edited by y5e06; 11-15-2009 at 04:12 PM.
y5e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Re: '86 2500 Suburban Rejuvination

Sounds interresting

pics of the beast!

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
y5e06

Current State

Last edited by y5e06; 11-15-2009 at 05:27 PM.
y5e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
dan76

I've seen the same issues with finding an intact engine/trans combo with uncut wiring/fuel system. A buddy just bought a complete rolled 05 1500 with a 5.3. We're taking it apart now and intend to install the components into 72 C-10.

Suggest when you get your motor, get the trans also. That way you'll get the needed wiring, computer and sensors.

I driven through the Hill Country around Kerrville.......might want to reconsider the 5.3 and get a 6.0, especially when towing.

Last edited by dan76; 11-15-2009 at 05:41 PM.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote