The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #51
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: Dana 60 swap done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24s View Post
Hello DirtyLarry Im new here and tommorrow i am picking up a dana 60 king pin to put in my 1990 2500 burb. The guy that i am buying it from does not know the year. So my question is it need brakes and im going to napa but dont know what year the Dana is. What year and truck did they come from?
The only component difference between any years of D60F is the brake hose mounting bolt and the inner axle shafts. The early ones neck down to a smaller diameter in the middle of the shaft whereas the later ones stay a consistent larger diameter to where they neck down for the carrier splines. All of these parts are interchangeable though. You can put later inner shafts in an early axle and the caliper physical properties (save for the banjo bolt hole) remained the same throughout the run.

That being the case, provided you are not dealing with either of those components, you can pick pretty much any year from 1977-1991 for parts. I usually look them up for a 1986 because that was the last year of the square body C/K truck (K30). The square body lived on until 1991, but was classified as an R/V series (R being 2wd and V being the 4wd). In 1987 no C/K trucks were produced (only R/V) and in 1988 the C/K designation was given to the GMT400 platform. This can cause confusion to people (and computers) not familiar with specific years and designations of GM trucks. In 1986 there was only one choice--a K30 (keeps it real simple). This year had the larger inner shafts and metric banjo bolts (if you need standard thread banjo bolts, call it a 1978 and you'll get the standard ones). Your 1990 V2500 Suburban will have the 10MM banjo bolts on the brakes already, so if the axle you are getting is a later axle, you won't need to buy those. The 10mm 1.5 banjo bolts/holes *look* like 3/8-16 (NC) whereas the 7/16-20 are fine thread. You can check the holes with a regular bolt to determine exactly what you have.

If you need brake pads, the industry number for the pads is 149. So Bendix would be an MKD149 pad number or MKD149FM for the heavy duty pads that I run. Wagner would be an MX149. The only difference in the part number will be the prefix and/or the suffix of the part number. If someone tries to give you a pad set with the number 459 in it, they are the wrong pads. Those are the heavy 3/4 ton (8600 GVW) and one ton pads for the GMT400 platform trucks with IFS. They will not work on a D60F.

Also, there is a Bill Of Materials (BOM) number stamped somewhere on the passenger side axle tube. If you can still read the number you can check it against BOM numbers on the DANA site and possibly narrow down the vintage of the axle. Google Dana 60 BOM number and you should be able to find a list of BOM numbers to reference it to. Really the only thing you will glean from that is whether you have an early or late axle--and really, that's all that matters, but not much at that, because everything can interchange physically.

Last edited by mosesburb; 08-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #52
24s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
The only component difference between any years of D60F is the brake hose mounting bolt and the inner axle shafts. The early ones neck down to a smaller diameter in the middle of the shaft whereas the later ones stay a consistent larger diameter to where they neck down for the carrier splines. All of these parts are interchangeable though. You can put later inner shafts in an early axle and the caliper physical properties (save for the banjo bolt hole) remained the same throughout the run.

That being the case, provided you are not dealing with either of those components, you can pick pretty much any year from 1977-1991 for parts. I usually look them up for a 1986 because that was the last year of the square body C/K truck (K30). The square body lived on until 1991, but was classified as an R/V series (R being 2wd and V being the 4wd). In 1987 no C/K trucks were produced (only R/V) and in 1988 the C/K designation was given to the GMT400 platform. This can cause confusion to people (and computers) not familiar with specific years and designations of GM trucks. In 1986 there was only one choice--a K30 (keeps it real simple). This year had the larger inner shafts and metric banjo bolts (if you need standard thread banjo bolts, call it a 1978 and you'll get the standard ones). Your 1990 V2500 Suburban will have the 10MM banjo bolts on the brakes already, so if the axle you are getting is a later axle, you won't need to buy those. The 10mm 1.5 banjo bolts/holes *look* like 3/8-16 (NC) whereas the 7/16-20 are fine thread. You can check the holes with a regular bolt to determine exactly what you have.

If you need brake pads, the industry number for the pads is 149. So Bendix would be an MKD149 pad number or MKD149FM for the heavy duty pads that I run. Wagner would be an MX149. The only difference in the part number will be the prefix and/or the suffix of the part number. If someone tries to give you a pad set with the number 459 in it, they are the wrong pads. Those are the heavy 3/4 ton (8600 GVW) and one ton pads for the GMT400 platform trucks with IFS. They will not work on a D60F.

Also, there is a Bill Of Materials (BOM) number stamped somewhere on the passenger side axle tube. If you can still read the number you can check it against BOM numbers on the DANA site and possibly narrow down the vintage of the axle. Google Dana 60 BOM number and you should be able to find a list of BOM numbers to reference it to. Really the only thing you will glean from that is whether you have an early or late axle--and really, that's all that matters, but not much at that, because everything can interchange physically.
mosesburb thanks so so much for the helpful info
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #53
survivingalone

still have the dana 44 for sale?
survivingalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #54
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingalone View Post
still have the dana 44 for sale?
No, sorry. I ended up putting the D44 with the TruTrac from the K10 it in my Suburban then swapped in 4:56 gears in the back of the Burb to match the TruTrac’d D44. The left over 4:10 D44 that was in the Burb is going to my buddy Zoomad75 for his K5. The original Corp 10 bolt that was in the Burb in the beginning got scraped. Confused? Me too
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #55
95possom

know its old thread but that was a great deal on that d60
95possom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #56
survivingalone

i had my new cucv dana 60 DELIVERED for $1000.00. the guy was heading to the Pittsburgh Airport and we made a deal to drop it off before he left for Florida. i thought my 14 bolt was heavy but the weight on the 60 was outragous. i might have a few questions for Dirty Larry when im ready to install. ordered the front U-bolts and rear zero rates from ORD today. these are hard to find and to get a deal is almost impossible.
survivingalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #57
whitedog76

I bought a D60 rear from a guy. When I go there I was surprised to see steel wheels and tires still on it. We loaded it in my truck by hand, no lift, no tractor. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. I can't imagine what a D60 front weighs with the knuckles and brake components installed.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #58
68panelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I bought a D60 rear from a guy. When I go there I was surprised to see steel wheels and tires still on it. We loaded it in my truck by hand, no lift, no tractor. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. I can't imagine what a D60 front weighs with the knuckles and brake components installed.
Yea their heavy!!!, Roughly 500 lbs worth of backache!!!
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #59
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Front D60’s are definitely heavy. I don’t quite think they are as heavy as a 10.5” 14 bolt full-floater with 13” drums though. A rear D60 is much lighter than both a front D60 and a 14 bolt FF. Either way, your lower intestines will be hanging out of your shorts if you try to pick one up by yourself
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #60
obijuan

if you wheel it in a body heavy rig, some unsprung low weight is nice.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #61
dieseldawg142

heavy? hell yeah! d60 & 14b combo weigh as much as a geo metro.
60 rotors & 14b drums are finger crushers!
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #62
whitedog76

FYI- If you stand it up on end and basically flop one end in the bed, then 2 people can lift the other end up. It's not easy, but it worked.

I highly reccomend an end loader though.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote