The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #1
'68 Newtricks

Parking brake cables VS exhaust routing?

Hey all,
I've been building a truck from the ground up so there are many times when I'm totally in the dark about how something is suppose to look. The truck is a '68 with original brake lever, but I'm considering fabing up something different. So........ while I figure that out, I'd like to get the exhaust done. What's the big deal?.... I don't want the two interfering with each other.

So, can anyone show me or tell me how the parking brake cables are ran? Or, if anyone is using aftermarket cables (Lokar) or different parking brake levers (like an import car center console lever) in which the cables would be routed differently....post up please.

Getting this thing running is priority, I can do without a parking brake for the meantime but don't want to re-do the exhaust later.

Thank you
Old 05-15-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Parking brake cables VS exhaust routing?

I'll get you pics tomorrow....(or try to, my camera has been acting up). My truck is pretty original back there.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
csfields

Here is my 71 which had the foot lever emergency brake cable versus the hand lever. Not sure what your 68 had. Any my truck was dropped 4 in the front and 6 in the back so the exhaust routing was crucial. Not sure if these pics are of any interest in helping you.
Attached Images

71 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 PS, PB
The Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584045

The Brake Upgrade http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695699
csfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
'68 Newtricks

Ah crap, I'm hosed....

Thanks for the pics csfields. It looks like those rods and front cable section is RIGHT in the way of running the exhaust. I've got a CPP trailing arm crossmember and tranny mount, which helps get the exhaust up above the frame rails. Since I'll be daily driving this truck and my area has tons of steep driveways/speed bumps etc, it's mandatory the exhaust stay above the rails. (read=current DD's frame all scratched up)

Can anyone offer up an alternative? I've seen dozens of trucks with "inside the frame" exhaust, so this has to be a common issue. Unfortunately I already have a complete new cable system from LMC and CPP trailing arm cables. I can keep the trailing arm portion but will probably end up going with the Lokar cables. Anyone with a sample of this? Oh and my '68 has the hand brake lever, but I'm tossing around the idea of going to some kind of newer hand lever mounted in the middle maybe, dunno.

Darnit
Old 05-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Jonlopes

Man, if that is what the under side of your truck looks like I can only imagine the time and effort you put into building it up!
Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
'68 Newtricks

just to add. I wonder if this could mount easily under the steering wheel in place of my hand brake?

and to feed the need for pictures....

Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
csfields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlopes View Post
Man, if that is what the under side of your truck looks like I can only imagine the time and effort you put into building it up!
Thanks. Yes, lots of work. Here is a pic of the top side.

How low are you going? I am running a 4/6 drop and don't have any issues with the exhaust hanging under that cross section?
Attached Images

71 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 PS, PB
The Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584045

The Brake Upgrade http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695699
csfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Ohio mike

Do you guys ever use your park brake? I only ask cause I'm building a 67 swb auto truck and wasn't going to install one. I don't think I'd ever use it.
Ohio mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
jessemthompson

I got rid of my park brake. I've never used it. Eventually I'll swap to rear disk anyways.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #10
'68 Newtricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by csfields View Post
How low are you going? I am running a 4/6 drop and don't have any issues with the exhaust hanging under that cross section?
Same but I don't really like the rake on it, so the front may come up an inch.

This is my stock ZQ8 S10 DD and it has scratches all down the frame from driveways, speed bumps, and the occasional off road. This truck will get sold as soon as the '68 is done.

Also thinking these two. I don't use my brake often, almost never really, but if I'm towing or parked on a hill I always use it. I'd like to save it. My offroad blazer doesn't have one anymore and I miss it.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #11
hamjet

Parking brakes are part of yearly inspections here, I use them all the time on my standard tranny trucks but since I just put an automatic in one of them I already caught myself not using it at all. thats when the cables freeze up and I have to fix before inspections...
Old 05-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
midniteblues

yep you need'm here also.
the pb/e brake also gives me peice of mind knowing i could stop the truck in a emergency. i would never omit them.

I also ran/running my exhaust up in the frame and they do interfer with each other. but it still works pretty good.
mines a manual trans so i really wanted it too work good.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
leftybass209

I think you may be overthinking this, it just requires you to manipulate some eye bolts for cable guides. Place a guide before and after where the exhaust may interfere with the cable. You can use a mix of custom and original cable if need be. I just installed my ebrake cable a couple days ago, albeit without exhaust running inside the frame.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #14
Ruscal

I drove a '67 for 10 years and really liked the stock brake handle. It provided good leverage, and you can set and release it silently by pulling the trigger during the stroke. It also worked great for E brake turns! The later stomp pedals are noisy when releasing with a clunk and don't even try using for turning. GM went backward when switching.
On my new '67 build my exhaust is running between the frame and the E brake cables are now rubbing on my new cross member bottom. I think I will weld some small 1/8" thick steel skid pads to the cross member and put some Delrin on them to break the friction. I'll post pictures when completed. It should work, but may rattle, so we'll see.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #15
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: Parking brake cables VS exhaust routing?

glad to see you thinking ahead. i've been doing exhaust over 30 years and i always tell customers to do every modification under the vehicle that they plan on doing THEN bring it in to do the exhaust. it's a lot easier to route piping around stuff when it's in place than to guess where stuff might be installed later.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #16
'68 Newtricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
glad to see you thinking ahead. i've been doing exhaust over 30 years and i always tell customers to do every modification under the vehicle that they plan on doing THEN bring it in to do the exhaust. it's a lot easier to route piping around stuff when it's in place than to guess where stuff might be installed later.
Learned that after rebuilding my blazer's engine and running a new oil pan, had to remake part of my Y pipe. Only thing stopping me now is my shifter linkage, gotta get that done before it goes in for exhaust.

I've been thinking over the idea of running a Lokar handle and cables. The handle will be mounted to the floor next to the seat. I think that will work looking over it.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
AustinScott

here are a few from my build over the years.. some with stock cross member and th400 and other with new cross member & 200r4

My 68-SWB Photo Build Thread

All my Google Albums
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #18
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio mike View Post
Do you guys ever use your park brake? I only ask cause I'm building a 67 swb auto truck and wasn't going to install one. I don't think I'd ever use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
I got rid of my park brake. I've never used it. Eventually I'll swap to rear disk anyways.
I'm not inspected here in MN but I used mine just yesterday.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #19
'68 Newtricks

Great pics A.S.!
Old 05-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

If I was looking to buy a truck and saw it had no e-brake I would consider it halfass built and walk away. They are a very good idea, meant to be there, and all you have to do is route exhaust around it. Of the dozens of trucks I've run custom exhaust on I never had an issue with the cables.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #21
jerry moss
Born Psycho

that is the OEM exhaust hanger bracket.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote