The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #26
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Windshield gasket blues: Precision supplies Steele and possibly Soff Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoyah View Post
If they can't get it straight you should talk to Sean @ Lomas glass and tint. Good guy and he does good work there
Will do! I appreciate the tip.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

After several weeks of excuses from the last glass guys I visited the shop Sequoyah suggested and am glad I did. The gasket was leaking badly on my tach dash and and new carpet. I took two sets of Precision gaskets with me (71-72 this time) and repro trim to match. After the gaskets arrived I pulled some 70-under OEM trim but didn't want to spend the $$ for yet another gasket.

The gasket fit the window well. The two lower trim pieces went on more or less. The rub was getting the top piece of trim seated. The gasket wants to curl back upon itself and toward the inside of the windshield even when seated on the glass. The trim is either a bit too long and/or not bent just right. The combo of the curling rubber and ill fit of the top trim worked against us and we didn't get this piece installed on this go round. This gasket is seated much better on the pinch weld than the last one.

Sean the installer suggested that after the gasket has had time to set and flatten out a bit we can pop out the glass/rubber and try setting the top piece of trim. I think this is a great suggestion. I may try to massage this piece of trim into the gasket but don't expect much luck.

I suggest using OEM trim when possible and suspect that if I had a set of such 71-72 trim it would've seated fine.

Thanks to Sequoyah for the helpful tip on the great service at Lomas Glass & Tint

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 11-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #28
litew8

My windsheild guy says to keep the trim I have (from the 90's I think) since the quality is better than what is made available today. We'll see.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
dfwright

Subscribing

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #30
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by into69z View Post
UPDATE: I had my windshield ( ppg) and rubber (precision) replaced in April by Safelite-they showed up with three guys and spent about an hour or so and just as they finished, they broke the shield. They came back in a couple of days and did the job again-the first time they started at the bottom to the top-the second time they started at the top and worked down. The trim was a pain but it got done. Safelite uses a sealer to ensure everything is water tight.......well they missed a spot and I had them back yesterday to get it fixed. It should be good to go from now on. One of the major reasons I went with a national chain store like this is they have a lifetime warranty on the install and leaks. Cost was $233.00( I provided the seal).

The Safelite guy told me they once put 4 shields in one truck cause they kept breaking them. He says he hates these type of installs with the trim in the rubber. Good Luck.
I have had two new windshields replaced in my truck. Both were by Safelight. First was paid by me, before I started using it as a DD, second due to big rock under Nationwide. Same guy came both times and was super. He owns a '69 and did a patient, calm job both times (they use Precision, also). Second trip, he even allowed me to prep and paint the top of the dash, something I had been wanting to do, while the 'shield was out. Great Customer Service.
MORAL: It is more likely the skill level of installer that makes the difference.
Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #31
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyArnot View Post
I have had two new windshields replaced in my truck. Both were by Safelight. First was paid by me, before I started using it as a DD, second due to big rock under Nationwide. Same guy came both times and was super. He owns a '69 and did a patient, calm job both times (they use Precision, also). Second trip, he even allowed me to prep and paint the top of the dash, something I had been wanting to do, while the 'shield was out. Great Customer Service.
MORAL: It is more likely the skill level of installer that makes the difference.
Toby -Does your truck have windshield trim?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #32
my67c20

Bought my gasket from GMCpauls, did it in the cold of the winter with minimal heat. Layout out the windshiled soaped it up and worked the gasket in place (PIA). First attempt start at the bottom, as we tipped it into place upper corners hit the drip rail. Second attempt started at the top. Trick was to make sure the gasket was fully seated. Take an old piece or just the gasket and study how it lays on the lip. I saw that if just by using the rope it did not fully seat. So using some light pressure upwards and a paint stick i slipped it under the gasket between the outside of the window and tap it up so it fully seats. By using a combination of that and a hose removal tool (hook, without a point)on the inside i was able to pull and tap the gasket into place. Also by slapping the window towards the gasket it seated nicely. Once the sun came out i let it set for awhile then used the paint stick and some slapping. Truck has been outside all spring, summer and fall not a single leak. Some light wrinkling (4" area passenger side) but who notices.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #33
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Toby -Does your truck have windshield trim?
No, it doesn't, and from what I'm reading, I'm kinda' glad I don't. My truck doesn't have much "bling" anywhere.
Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #34
jim-bob

...Wow..what a coincedence if I've ever seen one!!
My window installer has got the exact same story..TODAY..
I couldn't wait to get home to ask you guys what the heck we're doing wrong..
and I open up on this!
I did order new trim with the rubber from LMC ,of course we all know that don't work. But I do have the original trim in good shape..tried putting it on LMC's rubber..wouldn't stay in..
Just need the right rubber..we think
oh yeah..he is supplying the new windshield which is thinner..I thought that may be the problem but he said no..he's used them before
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #35
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

As far as I can tell replacing a windshield gasket isn't much of a problem IF you don't use trim.

If you're like me and try to go with repro trim be prepared for a struggle. I may try bending the gasket insert portion of my top trim piece into a straight configuration then pressing it into the channel of my installed gasket. Sunday I tried setting it with dental tools but didn't get far as the 71-72 trim is so shallow. Or, I may wait till the gasket settles then pop out the window and try it all again from scratch. For now it's on to the vent window rubber and glass. That's a lot of fun too LOL!

Right now my K10 has 2/3 trim pieces installed.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #36
BlazinC5

Naturaly I am not in the fondest of mind about doing this myself either. Especialy after reading all this. I don't have trim and I am not planning trim so it sounds a little better for me when I do get to the point of removing the old stuff. But A quick question I have is. Has anyone ever tried to do a newer style windshield, such as a glue in? I know it would be a custom piece of glass. But I am not a glass guy so I wouldn't know the pros, cons, or expence of doing somthing like that. I was just thinking that with all the breakage people seem to have, a little more $ up front may be worth it in the end. Especially if it helps smooth out the look so many are going for.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #37
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Wow! This how expensive its gotton for a NOS windsheild gasket. Take a look at this ebay auction. 3 hours left - $692.00 / OK! I'll use precision!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200677664082...84.m1426.l2649

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #38
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

^^ Mental!!!! ^^

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #39
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
Wow! This how expensive its gotton for a NOS windsheild gasket. Take a look at this ebay auction. 3 hours left - $692.00 / OK! I'll use precision!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200677664082...84.m1426.l2649
Crazy huh? I bought a 71-72 "NOS" gasket on ebay recently for the cost of a Precision gasket. This had no GM box so maybe it's repro. Anyone know how to differentiate a NOS gasket from repro?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #40
jim-bob

..the winning bid was $790..
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #41
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I'm in the same boat. Started out with a gasket and trim from LMC...yea, I know..seemed like a good idea at the time. This is the short leg version of the trim and a new windshield. The install was handled by the body shop so I wasn't there. After a couple hours the glass man gave up and said he would provide his own gasket for $85 and be back the next day.
Well, when I picked the truck up I noticed the trim wasn't seated all the way at the top driver's corner and pointed it out to my body man and he said after I get it running he would deal with it. It took a while but now the inside upper corners are wrinkled on both sides.
Since the body shop set up the install and the installer provided his own gasket they will sort it out and it won't cost me any more $$. Seeing this thread I thought I'd post some pics before they fix it.
This truck is way too nice to have flaws like this so I will be there the next time they work on it...they better bring their lunch cause they're not leaving till it is right.
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #42
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

That's exactly what my gasket looked like before the recent "fix (my top trim piece isn't yet installed)." I could easily peel the inner margin away from the pinch weld. It leaked like a sieve.

If you can, consider buffing an OEM set of trim to install in place of the LMC stuff. That's the next step I'm going to try. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #43
litew8

What about lubricating the seal where the trim seats, before attempting to press the trim in. Would that work?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #44
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

We have installed several windshields over the years. We even run specials on glass once in a while to drum up business. We have done them with or without moldings, 67-70 or 71-72s. The ones with the moldings can be a pain once in a while, but we haven't ever not got the job done. It is always my glass guy and me when there are moldings involved, but without moldings he will slip the glass in sometimes while I invoice the customer...lol Precision is the brand we sell and use. PPG or Pilkington is the glass. We will probably be holding another special befor Christmas so if anyone wants one email me. We only do this on Saturdays, because that is when I can get my glass guy to come over. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #45
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
What about lubricating the seal where the trim seats, before attempting to press the trim in. Would that work?
That doesn't seem to be the problem - it's more like a poor fit.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #46
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
We have installed several windshields over the years. We even run specials on glass once in a while to drum up business. We have done them with or without moldings, 67-70 or 71-72s. The ones with the moldings can be a pain once in a while, but we haven't ever not got the job done. It is always my glass guy and me when there are moldings involved, but without moldings he will slip the glass in sometimes while I invoice the customer...lol Precision is the brand we sell and use. PPG or Pilkington is the glass. We will probably be holding another special befor Christmas so if anyone wants one email me. We only do this on Saturdays, because that is when I can get my glass guy to come over. WES
Wes - Is this with repro trim, OEM, or both? Next time you install repro trim film the process and post it to You Tube to save idiots like me time and money

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #47
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
That doesn't seem to be the problem
Have you attempted it?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #48
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Have you attempted it?
All attempts on my truck were done with some type of lube. I've been present when three different installers collectively used 1) WD40 2) KY jelly 2) Soapy water

The last and best install went in easily with soapy water. The KY was too slippery!

Even with the glass on a bench and the gasket in place it's obvious that trim isn't going to sit nice let alone when you try the install. It just pops out.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #49
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Both. Repro trim can give us trouble, but we get it done. We have found problems with inconstancies in the dementions of the glass. I suspect that some of the problems experienced may have that problem. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #50
PAWS 72

A few months ago I had to redo the top on my truck.I wound up ordering a few parts from LMC,needless to say windeheild strip was one of them,mine bunched just like that,That was using the original trim also.
I called LMC back told them the problem and they sent another one no charge and they girl said they would have R&D to look into it.they tried to make out that i was the only one having this problem.2 reinstalls later and still the same if not worst problem yet.I've talked to WES and needless to say i won't never order from LMC anymore.Rubber wasn't wasn't to only problem i've had with their parts.It took 3 trys for a good power steering boxes to get one good one.
I've talked to WES a couple of times about my problems and he explained a few things to me. Get LMC to do that.yea right.I know where my parts will come from now. yae wes ,i'm about 2400 miles from you but you will talk to your customers.thanks jason
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote