The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2002, 01:10 PM   #1
Myride67c10

Unhappy Ignition Switch

Well I don’t know were to begin. I’ll give you the short version. My 2-year-old said “Daddy keys gone bye bye). That was three days ago and after tearing the house apart I still can find them. So my question is how hard is it to change the ignition key portion out? Would I be better off trying to call a locksmith and having him make me a new key? O’ yea I also have a locking gas cap which I have know key for. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:54 PM   #2
GMCPaul

Take a common screwdriver and insert it into the key slot and pry the tin face off the front of the lock cylinder once you pry this off the keyed tumbler will slide out by pulling on it and a new one can be inserted in its place.
We have the door lock & ignition cylinders that are keyed the same and use original style GM keys for all 3 locks available on the following page of our website if interested or just the ignition lock & keys.
http://www.gmcpauls.com/dash_parts.htm
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:17 PM   #3
Myride67c10

So what your saying is all I’ll need is to order is an ignition switch cylinder after I pop of the tin plate. If you can confirm that GMC Paul. I’ll be ordering one from you ASAP.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:41 PM   #4
diggin69
Southern but in Ohio!!!!

you could buy new or take a paper clip put it in like your going to start it may take awhile to get it right but you can pull the tumbler out with out taking anthing off, dont use a screw driver to pry with the ignition face plate is like a big nut it will turn out if you notice the 3 notches in the face plate there is a tool that goes in there & turns that plate or use a screw driver to turn the face plat to remove it, hope this will work for you it has save me before, then just take the tumbler to the lock smith may cost a little but will be cheaper than buying new.
Eaton,Oh
rebelryder@hotmail.com
diggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 05:17 PM   #5
Myride67c10

Mine has the mounting ring around the outside and the inner portion which I believe GMC Paul is talking about were the key actually goes in. It also has a little hole to the right of it. I’m not really sure how you are trying to explain how to take this out Diggin. But let me see if I understand you. Take a paper clip and insert it in to the hole next to the key, to pull it out? Or stick it were the key goes and try to pick the lock? Either way, I can’t see how you would get it out without having the key. Please let me know if I’m missing something. Ps the ignition cylinder with key is only about $10 plus shipping
Old 10-30-2002, 12:30 AM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

To remove the cylinder properly, you need the key. It goes like this. Insert the key and turn to the accesory position. then insert a pin and push in lightly. Hold the pin in and turn the key to the left and the cylinder should come out.

Before you do anything, try calling a locksmith and ask what the cost would be. Also ask what he would charge to make the key if you took in a door lock, it only take a few minutes to remove one. And you wouldn't have to tear up the ignition cylinder, assuming they are both the same.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Not sure if this still works or not....
I pulled a door lock off of a '70's Camaro once, and took it to the dealer. They looked at some numbers and cut me a key. If your keys all matched like they should, (one key for the ign and doors) then you could yank a door lock and go to your local GM dealer.
As for the gas cap, I have been able to get one off without too much effort. It involved a hammer, a couple screw drivers, and some huge chanel locks.
As for removing the ignition switch with no key, Paul has you covered. Inserting a paper clip in the little hole will do nothing if you can not turn the ign switch to the acc position...and without a key, it would take another hammer and screwdriver.
To get you on the road in a cheap, timely manner, grab a key/ign switch from a junker in your local junk yard, unplug yours from behind the dash, and simply plug in the 'new' one and let it hang under the dash. I drove my GMC like this for 3 months.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:13 AM   #8
GMCPaul

Myride67c10 you were correct on only prying on the face of tin that the key slides through entering the ignition lock tumbler, I was not referring to the ignition bezel referred to by diggin69.
A little lip approx. 1/16" wide on the face of the ignition tumbler prevents the ignition bezel from unscrewing and keeps the ignition lock tumbler from being able to slide out. This face on the tumbler is a heavy tin that can be pried off by sticking a screwdriver in where key should be inserted and prying it outward by bending it from the middle up.
This can also be done by using a dent puller by threading dent puller screw into the keyed area and using the slide hammer on puller to pop the ignition tumbler out. I have pulled dozens of ignition cylinders without keys for them and this is one of the easier methods. You can also unscrew the bezel as far as it will go then place a punch againest the face where key enters tumbler and rap hard on punch with a hammer to pop the face off by putting hard inward pressure on it. Before hitting with a hammer the bezel needs to be unscrewed until only the tumblers face is preventing it from being removed then rap it hard.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 09:55 AM   #9
Myride67c10

Thumbs up

Well guy’s, thanks for all the help. Last night I had a locksmith come over and make a key, it only took him a bought 30 minutes to make a key and he also removed the gas cap to. All at a cost of only $25. Come to find out the guy has an old truck like ours. I turned him onto the board last night and showed him around a little him seemed interested; hopefully he will become a new member.