The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
desert-rat

Adding paddle shifters??

Was just poking around online and was wondering if anyone has added paddle shifters? I have a turbo 400 and I was wondering if anyone has ever done this? https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotro...fters-kit/amp/ this company allows you to add to most common auto trans.
desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Problems

Re: Adding paddle shifters??

That’s pretty cool, but for that money you could just about get a used 4L80 and TCIs kit. If your dropping $1500 might as well add overdrive while you’re at it.

Last edited by Problems; 04-01-2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
71C10Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-rat View Post
Was just poking around online and was wondering if anyone has added paddle shifters? I have a turbo 400 and I was wondering if anyone has ever done this? https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotro...fters-kit/amp/ this company allows you to add to most common auto trans.
What I've been considering was getting a manual valve body for my transmission, servos, and a raspberry pi. It's under 500 bucks, and if you or a friend know a little about coding you can have full control over your existing transmission. Look into it. All you have to do is take your oil pan off and the existing valve body. For most transmissions it should be a very easy process. Most of the transmission will remain untouched. With the pi, or ardiono, you can easily set up paddles, servos, even rev limiters based off of the tach from your distributor can all be routed through the pi and made to work. If you are good enough you could make a menu and or gui, attach a small touch screen, route it to your dash, and have programmable settings all controlled through the pi. All this for under 500 bucks and some time.
Sorry for the rant, my point is there are cheaper options.
71C10Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

When I don't want to shift I drive an automatic transmission. When I want to shift I drive a manual transmission. When I want to paddle shift I drive a road racing car.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
MfBox

i have an LS swap and a 4l80 does anyone make a kit to add paddle shifters to that kind of setup?
MfBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfBox View Post
i have an LS swap and a 4l80 does anyone make a kit to add paddle shifters to that kind of setup?
Sure, but it would depend more on what box you have controlling the 4L80E and whether your harness has inputs for upshift/downshift wires.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
MfBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Sure, but it would depend more on what box you have controlling the 4L80E and whether your harness has inputs for upshift/downshift wires.
If I don't have those inputs right now how hard is that to change over?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
Overdriven

Quote:
Quote:
If I don't have those inputs right now how hard is that to change over?
The paddle shift kits on the market are designed for standalone transmission controllers. If you have an MSD trans controller, use their paddle shift kit, etc. But it’s possible that one of the companies out there has figured out a way to add it to a trans controlled by a stock ecu.

If you have the LS ecu controlling the trans it’s harder to add paddle shift. I know of some vans that have a “+” and “-“ button on the column shifter for manual shifting. But both of the vans I saw that in were 6spd trans and those 6spd trans are not really controlled by the LS ecu, they have a computer in the trans and connect to the LS ecu for data on stuff like throttle position, rpm, etc.

If the shifter with + and - was available for 4l80 equipped vehicles then adding paddle shifters wouldn’t be too hard. You’d just need to know which pins were for the + and -, and correctly connect them to paddle shifters. Then you’d probably have to flash the ecu with the operating system for the vehicle with that style of shifter to get it to work.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #9
MfBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
The paddle shift kits on the market are designed for standalone transmission controllers. If you have an MSD trans controller, use their paddle shift kit, etc. But it’s possible that one of the companies out there has figured out a way to add it to a trans controlled by a stock ecu.

If you have the LS ecu controlling the trans it’s harder to add paddle shift. I know of some vans that have a “+” and “-“ button on the column shifter for manual shifting. But both of the vans I saw that in were 6spd trans and those 6spd trans are not really controlled by the LS ecu, they have a computer in the trans and connect to the LS ecu for data on stuff like throttle position, rpm, etc.

If the shifter with + and - was available for 4l80 equipped vehicles then adding paddle shifters wouldn’t be too hard. You’d just need to know which pins were for the + and -, and correctly connect them to paddle shifters. Then you’d probably have to flash the ecu with the operating system for the vehicle with that style of shifter to get it to work.

http://www.twistmachine.com/transmis...-tuned-bundle/

this seems to be a computer controller for the trans that allows for paddle shifting in any electronic transmission. Im in. This would be super fun. Shifts in .125 of a second
Old 04-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
Overdriven

Quote:
http://www.twistmachine.com/transmis...-tuned-bundle/

this seems to be a computer controller for the trans that allows for paddle shifting in any electronic transmission. Im in. This would be super fun. Shifts in .125 of a second
Yes that is a trans controller and paddle shifters. That separate trans controller operates the trans instead of the LS ecu. That’s is exactly what I was talking about in the first paragraph of my post.

As for the 2nd and 3rd paragraph of my post, I did some more digging. I could not find anything indicating a + and - on any stock 4l80 shifters so the LS ecu is not capable of supporting paddle shifters. If you want paddle shifter you will have to use an aftermarket trans controller like the one you posted.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
MfBox

Quote:
Yes that is a trans controller and paddle shifters. That separate trans controller operates the trans instead of the LS ecu. That’s is exactly what I was talking about in the first paragraph of my post.

As for the 2nd and 3rd paragraph of my post, I did some more digging. I could not find anything indicating a + and - on any stock 4l80 shifters so the LS ecu is not capable of supporting paddle shifters. If you want paddle shifter you will have to use an aftermarket trans controller like the one you posted.
ah got it. So this thing will work. I think this would make this truck a blast to drive. Way more control over my stock on the tree automatic right now.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #12
harpo231

Paddles not all they cracked up to be...more hesitation than I like....
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #13
indymachinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Paddles not all they cracked up to be...more hesitation than I like....
That is going to depend on what is controlling the paddles. Any average car that has paddles or tap shift is going to be slow. I would have to assume these afternarket companies are going to speed that up.

You still end up only being able to shift 3 gears or 3 plus overdrive though which is kind of weak.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymachinist View Post
That is going to depend on what is controlling the paddles. Any average car that has paddles or tap shift is going to be slow. I would have to assume these afternarket companies are going to speed that up.

You still end up only being able to shift 3 gears or 3 plus overdrive though which is kind of weak.
I’ve had 2 work vans with 6spd, the tap shift on the column shifter and the shifts are painfully slow whether using them or not. I believe it’s the same trans as the Camaros and judging by videos the shifts are quicker so the difference must be in the programming of the controller.

I agree about the amount of gears, 3 speed plus OD is kind of weak. But I’ve played with the tap shift in the vans and honestly 6 gears doesn’t add to the fun. Full throttle, by the time you’re ready to tap for 4th you’re in ticket land no matter the road. Not flat out but “spirited” driving in the twisties you might be in 4th a little, especially if you have a higher numerical rear gear than a stock GM van, but that’s still only 1 more gear that you might be using compared to a 4l80.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #15
MfBox

Quote:
I’ve had 2 work vans with 6spd, the tap shift on the column shifter and the shifts are painfully slow whether using them or not. I believe it’s the same trans as the Camaros and judging by videos the shifts are quicker so the difference must be in the programming of the controller.

I agree about the amount of gears, 3 speed plus OD is kind of weak. But I’ve played with the tap shift in the vans and honestly 6 gears doesn’t add to the fun. Full throttle, by the time you’re ready to tap for 4th you’re in ticket land no matter the road. Not flat out but “spirited” driving in the twisties you might be in 4th a little, especially if you have a higher numerical rear gear than a stock GM van, but that’s still only 1 more gear that you might be using compared to a 4l80.
yeah its not the same as a 5 speed manual but its way better than the slush box that im dealing with right now. The website said the paddle shifts with their controller are .125 of a second and it shifts so basically no lag. Im basically just using the truck in the canyons of colorado up to estes so i almost never need to get to 4th. 3rd gets a little scary on those roads even