The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #1
Pvmt-Pndr

69 C60 Mega Truck Hauler

Some of you guys have been in my other thread answering my other questions about a completely different truck and seeing the one I ended up buying. I figured I'd start a build thread. I picked up a 1969 C60 with a 427, Eaton 5 speed, 2 speed Eaton rear end with a 6:50/8:87 rear gears. A whopping top speed going down hill of 59 mph. Just over 80k miles on it. 23k gvw

Upgrades that have been done by previous owner include LED flood lights on the back of the cab and an HEI distributor... that's a short list something isn't right in the system either. She was pinging like crazy on my 4 hour ride home. I believe the timing is off quite a bit.

Things that need to be fixed on it currently:
The ring gear on the flywheel is gone, I can only start it by pull starting it. Tune it up. Check the timing. All 6 tires look like crap, 4 of them are still 20" "split rims" and 2 have are 22.5". The exhaust is a mess and completely shot from the manifold gaskets back. There is also an electrical draw, I put a brand new battery in it and it killed it. The battery is in the garage and I'm bring it back to life now.

My plans:
Get the engine running like it should, tune up, check the timing, new air filter.
I will be putting a Holley 650 on it later.
Get 6 used 22.5 rims and tires - I'll be keeping the current two 22.5s that are on it as a spare.
Regear the rear end! I believe a 4:56 Would suit my needs perfectly but 4:88s seem to be more common. I could use some help on where to locate a new gear set.
Go through the entire trucks air system and brake system and make sure it's 100%.
Get a saddle fuel tank to mount to the frame, currently it only has the roughly 18 gallon tank behind the seat and at 4-5 mpg that won't cut it.
I need to dig into the gas gauge and find out why it's not working.
I will be building an exhaust for it, I have a set of long tube headers that I hope I can make work already.
90% of the lights work but need a good cleaning. The brake lights are completely shot so I will be upgrading those.
There's a piece of C-channel on the back of the frame where the pintle hitch is located now that is bent. I will be replacing that and reinforcing it so that doesn't happen again.
The interior is in decent shape and needs some cleaning, finishing touches and I'm going to see what I can do to cut down on the wind in the cab and how loud it is.
Paint - it will stay white with black accents. I've already decided I'm going to monsterliner it. I've had good success with it in the past.
Replace the heavy carbon diamond plate on the frame behind the cab with a bigger lighter piece of aluminum diamond plate.
Replace the rusty heavy and ugly painted white carbon diamond plate on both steps with a piece of nice aluminum diamond plate. Same aluminum that will be on the frame rail.
Replace the mud flaps- I lost one on the way home.
Install a radio and some speakers.
Replace the blower motor so I have heat.

That's the short list of things I can think of off the top of my head for now. Pictures to follow of the day I got her home. It should be noted that I did have back surgery in December and am a lot slower then I used to be. I want to have this truck ready to pull by next spring.

When it is done it will be used to pull 2 mega trucks around to wherever we feel like going. My wife has a 72 K10 on tractor tires and once this truck is done I will be building myself one. I figured I may as well get a truck too big for my needs so I can grow into it.

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 04-22-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: 69 C60 Mega Truck Hauler

The first one is from the ad

[

Here's a couple of my wife's truck so you guys know what a mega truck is.

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 04-20-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
Pvmt-Pndr

I haven't done much to it since I've brought it home. When I got it it was too cold to do anything outside and it doesn't fit in my garage, plus I was still recovering from surgery. Now that I'm back to work I usually work 6-7 12s so this will be done in spurts most likely.

What I have done so far was replaced all the glass fuses. Fixed the tach and speedometer gauges. Replaced the carbon diamond plate behind the cab with a bigger aluminum piece, cleaned and painted the frame between the cab and rear end. Bought a used set of long tube headers that I sand blasted, painted and made a set of collectors and reducers for. The exhaust goes from 3" to 2-1/2". I also got the windshield wipers working, fixed the knob for them too and I may end up getting a new wiper motor because the original doesn't seem very strong. That's about it for now. And photobucket is being a PITA!!

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 04-21-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:29 AM   #4
C10 - C90 Bill

That Pick-up is cool, but I'm more impressed with your C-60.

As mentioned before, that is one nice find you got there.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:15 AM   #5
Pvmt-Pndr

Her truck is fun and I figured I need something to tinker with since I'm down for the count in mud bogs until next spring. The C60 has a short list and I've had time to come up with a solid plan. Thanks to you and the other guys in my first thread answering so many of my questions, it put me on the straight and narrow. For now that's the plan for the C60. Simple and not reinventing the wheel just bringing her back to her former glory with a few added touches. I may even light it up with more LEDs because there's nothing worse then trying to load/unload a truck at night that's covered in mud.
I haven't decided if I want to stick with a 5th wheel or change it over to a gooseneck yet. I have plenty of time to decide because a trailer isn't in the plans quite yet. I was having some problems with the title but that's all straightened out now.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
Pvmt-Pndr

In case anyone ever ask if a set of long tube headers work on a 69 C60 the answer is no. I got the stock manifolds off and they don't seem to be cracked and I don't see anything wrong with them. I plan to clean them up and if I can't make a set of block huggers work then I'll use the factory manifolds. They had to come off anyways since the manifold to head gaskets were blown. The donut gaskets were also gone too.

I pulled the plugs too. I'll be getting new soon. They were in pretty good shape still though. Only signs of running a little rich but nothing I call excessive.

I ordered a set of stainless block huggers earlier and they should be here by Friday. If those do not work then I will resort back to putting the factory cast manifolds back on, after I clean them up.

I had a random guy stop today while I was standing by the truck and he was ready to put cash in my pocket if I gave him a number... I couldn't bring myself to it. There's just something about these old trucks.

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 04-21-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Airdirect

The original cast manifolds with new gaskets and a good set of quality mufflers will create a very pleasing sound. With the stock setup these trucks had about the correct level of rumble. If you plan to drive any distance, you will appreciate it not being any louder.

My 2 cents.
Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
DEADMAN01

thats a good looking truck, i have a 70 c60 that i am fixing to start building to pull my wife's mega truck and my two c10. i would share a pic of our mega but would prob get ran off the board since it starts with the letter f lol
DEADMAN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
Pvmt-Pndr

I have no interest in making it sound like a race car Airdirect. I want a nice low rumble and since the manifolds had to come off, may as well upgrade.

Haha I'm not brand loyal. They all have their ups and downs, it's just a matter of which downs can you live with and which ups are good enough for what it's being used for. It's nice to hear there are other wives out there with mega trucks too!!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

That's a stout little hauler. It's going to be a cool combination going down the road/at the bogs. I'd think the Chevelle headers would work, although I never tried. But they shoot down and collect at an angle, so depth differences are made up in the exhaust pipe.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Pvmt-Pndr

I got her all tuned up yesterday. I noticed on cylinder 5 that the wire had pulled from the boot just enough that it could have caused a misfire. New plugs and wires are in.

The block huggers I bought worked, they're installed and ready for the exhaust. I did have to clearance #6 where it touched the frame. Impact socket and a hammer, beat in about 3/32 of an inch and problem solved. You can't even tell I had to do it.

I plan to fire her up today between breaks in the rain and check the timing.

I'll post pictures when I find a better hosting site then photobucket.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
Pvmt-Pndr

I got her fired up. Checked timing and it was at 16 degrees at idle. I could use some help here... I restarted the timing down to 8 degrees. The little bit of info I've found says that these tall deck engines like between 6-8 degrees. I went down the street and back. It was still popping and carrying on but a good improvement from idle to about 2800 and then it would start poping again. I parked it and got ready to retard it down to 6 degrees and it shut off... No signs no warnings like someone hit the key to shut it off. I got it started again and moved the distributor the slightest bit and my buddy who was watching the light said it dropped off below the pointer and died as soon as I moved it.
Now I've tried moving it back and it will not fire! Any ideas what I might have going on here and advice on how to get it where it should be? Is the info I found correct that the timing should be 6-8 degrees on this engine at idle?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #13
Pvmt-Pndr

I pulled one of the axles yesterday to narrow down which 3rd member or gears I was looking for. They're 16 spline axles, so far I haven't had any luck finding a gear set or 3rd member in the gears I want.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #14
Airdirect

I still have a 5:29 Ring and Pinion set with 46K original miles on them which I removed from mine. They are in great shape. Not sure if that will give you enough speed.

Ring and Pinion Upgrade Link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729084
Old 05-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
Pvmt-Pndr

I tried to send you a PM a few weeks back about your gear set. 5:29s will give me a top speed of 72.01 mph which I'm ok with but the cruising rpm concerns me slightly. Send me a PM and well talk through there. In a perfect world I would love to find a 4:56/4:88 for those days I decide to drive it without it being loaded down.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #16
Pvmt-Pndr

The transmission is currently out. Why I wrote Eaton 5 speed in my first post I'll never know, I actually have a dana/spicer 5756-B. The clutch is in Detroit being rebuilt, it's one of the first dual disc clutches according to the guy rebuilding it at Detroit Clutch Masters and he's only ever seen a few of them. He's one one of two people left in Michigan who rebuilds clutches.... talk about expensive too!!

I had the flywheel resurfaced already and am just waiting for the clutch which I hope to have back within the next few days. While the trans is out I plan to drain the fluid and reseal all of the covers since I noticed there were a couple of leaks coming from them. Not enough to puddle and hit the ground but enough to cover the side of the trans. I power washed it off already.

Pictures of everything listed: C60 trans/clutch/flywheel https://imgur.com/gallery/Usr6pOV

Since I've had time at work and know for sure what trans I have now I did some homework and wrote out my gear options, I would like some opinions on this. I wrote them all out side by side shifting in order using all 10 forward gears. What would you go with? I would like to make this a versital truck that I can daily drive if I feel like it. I haven't quite figured out how to use the hosting site for posting pictures so you'll have to click on the links.
C60 Gear Options https://imgur.com/gallery/SYYS0se

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 05-23-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:16 AM   #17
Airdirect

My truck gears out at 71 MPH. That gearing allows me to pull most hills by just dropping the axle into low. Really works well.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #18
Pvmt-Pndr

I won't have that option with any gear I go to because of my shift pattern. From 3H it goes to 4L,5L,4H to 5H so I'll be moving the shifter either way.

I got the clutch and trans put in yesterday. While the trans was out I took the time to get any rust off of the trans tunnel, rustoleum primer and 2 coats of undercoat.
Undercoating https://imgur.com/gallery/bAqVbfP

I found that a relay was bad and only allowing the distributor 4 volts! Since I didn't have one laying around I ran a wire directly from the battery to the distributor temporarily.
1969 C60 Clutch https://imgur.com/gallery/uXFpM6R

I fired her up, set the timing and took my daughter for a ride. No pinging, no issues, no nothing but a very loud exhaust (currently open headers pointing at the ground). Talk about a different truck! It was as happy as it could be with the power I was hoping for.

I only have 4 things left to do. Build an exhaust, tires/rims, fix a broken Ubolt on the axle and regear it. Then it's onto things I want to do.

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 05-26-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #19
CarolinaHD

Glad you got it running good again. The factory wire feeding the distributor has a resistor built in to drop it down to around 5 volts. Always have to run a new wire to the HEI distributor upgrade.
1967 c60 366ci Fire truck
CarolinaHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #20
Pvmt-Pndr

That's what got me. The previous owner did run a new wire to a relay. I checked it before and had a strong 12 volts there. Prior to getting the new ring gear in I could only pull start it and that's not good for trying to diagnose a problem. When I fired it up for the first time yesterday it ran for 30 seconds then died and wouldn't re-fire. That's when I went on the hunt all over again for the electrical gremlins. I'm as happy as a squirrel in a nut factory right now.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #21
Airdirect

Well, don't keep us in suspense, what did your daughter say? Good job getting it going with the new flywheel ring gear and clutch. Hopefully you can quickly get the mechanical items cleared so you can starting on the fun stuff.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #22
Pvmt-Pndr

She said it's about as hillbilly as it gets driving it down the road like we did and she loves it!! That was the first time she got to ride in it, from there she asked a million questions and was throwing out ideas. I told her when it's done she's going to learn how to drive drive it, that got her even more excited about it!

While I was under the truck I noticed the steering linkage has seen better days too so that's on the list also.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #23
Airdirect

Just curious, what was the original color of the truck, I see the paint code is "SE6996P Special Paint", I tried crossing the number and cannot find anything. Looking at the radio location, it appears to be a GM Medium Blue.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #24
Pvmt-Pndr

Yep some sort of blue on the inside same on the outside in some spots. The outside I can't say for sure because someone did a good job painting it at some point in it's life but there is reminisce of blue, yellow and red. It's hard to say which one it was originally
Old 05-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #25
Airdirect

Given the trim code is blue, I suspect it was the Chevrolet Medium Blue that shows under the radio face plate.