The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #26
eurospec1

Re: Advice needed. Who has bought a vehicle sight unseen?

western union is a no no, it offers no protection, once you send the money, its his, wiether he gives you the truck or not. Set up a transfer through your banks based on arrival of the truck or something, but western union is a good way to get ripped off.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospec1 View Post
western union is a no no, it offers no protection, once you send the money, its his, wiether he gives you the truck or not. Set up a transfer through your banks based on arrival of the truck or something, but western union is a good way to get ripped off.
A wire is a wire. It's not even safe when using your bank. Once that money goes it's gone.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #28
eurospec1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
A wire is a wire. It's not even safe when using your bank. Once that money goes it's gone.
Not true, your bank can set up a wire escrow, money goes into holding, he sends you truck, you notify that truck arrived, bank sends money, that is safe
Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #29
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospec1 View Post
Wow! I did not know that! Thanks for the warning guys. I guess I really should slow down a little and think this out a little more.

I'm still not opposed to a little road trip. It sounds from everyone else experience it could be quite interesting.

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #30
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
If you live in Denton I would just find a local truck. There should be plently in the area.
There are plenty of 67-72 chevy?GMC trucks in my area and the DFW area, just look in the craigslist to find em. However, most of the listings for trucks at or around $1000-1500 are what I think are mostly junkers and many of them do not have motor and transmissions.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that a non-operable vehicle with no motor and trans can be worth more than $1000. I probably wouldn't pay that much for one.

I have pretty much decided from everyone else's experience buying a mostly complete original truck is the way to go. I do expect for any original survivor truck to have some minor issues if it is still operable.

I just hope that my expectations are not to far off of the mark.

Keith
Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #31
leddzepp

Definitely a crapshoot buying sight unseen. I have done it and had good luck. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #32
lil hoodlum

There is a listing on craigslist DFW for a 1972 for $1395 that seems worth checking into.

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1972 CHEVY C10 Custom Deluxe - $1395 (Garland/Richardson)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-06-24, 11:38AM CDT
Reply to: sale-nue4r-2459945118@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 Chevy C10 Custom Deluxe. 1/2 ton long wide pickup. V8, 3 speed standard. Two tone green and white. Email or call 972.571.6783. Brian

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2459945118

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc.terms of useprivacy policyfeedback forum
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #33
clear

I once was the winning bid for a GTO about 8 hours from me. It was advertised with no rust. After I won the seller was nervous to find out I was coming to pick it up my self and not sending a transport company. I drove the 8 hours with cash in hand. When I arrived and looked the car over I noticed it had a lot of cancer that was not visible from the pictures. Needless to say I did not take the car home.

I would never use western union for any vehicle purchase. I would only show up with certified check or cash and make sure what I am buying is what I expect. Just my 2 cents.
clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #34
lil hoodlum

Also more good advice. Thank you.

Funny I just noticed on the craigslist warning stuff on avoiding scams using wire/ money transfer services.

To be clear it was not the sellers idea to Western Union the money. It was my own.

I think it would be in my best interests to see the truck for myself or have someone from the board look at.

You guys have given me plenty of good advice that I have asked for.

Thank you,

Keith
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #35
Autoblueprint

Arrow Re: Advice needed. Who has bought a vehicle sight unseen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
I would expect it to need some work.
You better BELIEVE it WILL need work, in today's economy $1K does not buy very much...but I would want to see photos of the undercarriage / frame BEFORE I sent any money.

If the frame / undercarriage is ok...I'd just arrange transport and have the truck delivered. I'd save the road trip / haul-it-yourself money for another day / another truck.

I'd offer $800.00 if it has a good frame and clear title and have the truck transported to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68chevyLQ4 View Post
There is ALWAYS surprises. some not so bad..some would have been deal breakers had I known.
X2...( like a bent / rusted frame surprise )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
As long as you go into it with its price way lower than its worth and know its not going to be as described you will be fine!
X2
Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #36
johndawelder

Go get it and have a good time.
johndawelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #37
rpmgroup

back in the 70's, i would buy a couple of trucks in texas from a guy i had met. me and my brother and i would pack a towbar and use greyhound. always an adventure. once we had 3 trucks and only one was still running when we got back to California. still a lot of fun.
Good luck.
rpmgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #38
cpisani70@aol.com

So I bought mine site unseen, I did however have a member look at it , that is the way to go Boneyard did a great inspection and the truck was just what I expected. Good Luck
Posted via Mobile Device
cpisani70@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #39
ls1nova71

I bought mine on ebay, and, well, what's a nice way of saying the seller was a crook? Only had to drive 3 hours, but was in a hurry, so didn't look it over good enough. I guess I should have known better than to think I was going to get a decent running/driving '71 shortbed for $900. It did drive home though, but only by the grace of God! Definitley look it over real good before handing over the cash. Just my $0.02
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #40
VA72C10
VA72C10

I agree with having someone look it over. Also get the seller to send you a copy of the title so you know it's clear and free of liens....and then get a bill of sale for the purchase price with details on the truck listed on it in case there are any issues down the road...
Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #41
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

My Grand National was sold sight unseen at least twice. I bought it out of MD off evil bay. Quizzed the seller via phone, got additional pics, etc. I bought a guy a work a plane ticket to DC and he drove it home 1400 miles. He had my permission to turn down the car and fly back home if needed.

When I sold it, the buyer asked for a couple of detail pics, then showed up with his enclosed trailer the next weekend.

I'd Paypal 20% to hold it, then hand him the balance when it passes your inspection.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #42
BlackTopMotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndawelder View Post
Go get it and have a good time.
x2

I like Longhorns advice about things to bring. Have Fun!
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #43
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

Bought my Blazer sight unseen. It was 1300 miles from me. I had it shipped for 689.00. The cost of fuel, hotel,food and two days of my time would have been more. The cost of the vehicle was more then 5k and less then 10k so I was scared. The guy was my age and sent good pics,video and comunication. He sent me a copy of the vin, title and his DL and my job gave me the access to see if things were legit. I did this because I lost out on three trucks by people that bought sight unseen. I am really happy with what I bought. When you buy a truck unseen you create an image of what it is going to be like. You get pleasent suprises and some not so. Just ask the questions you are concerned with to define that image of the vehicle. all in all I look at it I got lucky. 10 years a go I flew to Fla to look at a camaro and it was junk. Then I drove to Missouri and and came back with an empty trailer. 500 miles is not a bad trip and can be done in 10 hrs. Bring a friend, trailer and go straight through and in just one day you could have a new old truck in your driveway. Good Luck

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #44
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Hello everyone! I need another truck like I need another hole in my head. However, I am considering purchasing another 1968 c10 that is running and in driveable condition. I have only seen pictures of it (via internet) and talked with the gentleman who is selling. I feel fairly confident that the seller is honest and has been truthful about the trucks condition.

I am considering sending the money via Western Union and then arranging for an auto transport to pick it up and ship to me. As I said, the truck is in drivable condition and the owner does have a title.

Anything else I should do short of renting a car and making the 500 mile trip one-way?

Hopefully those with cooler heads can give me something else to think about>

Thank you,

Keith
In 2001, My wife and I (in California), found her a vehicle in Houston, TX at a Dealership.
Did the loan app online, flew out for 3 days to see, touch, feel, smell and Test Drive it.
Then loaded it up on a Carrier and we flkew back to California.
The Car arrived 10 days later.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #45
mpotts64

you can always call a reputable mechanic shop and get him to go look at it, may cost you a service call but it may be cheaper in the long run, my story is like the others, bought a 67 unseen for the small window cab, he sent some doctored pics and the cab was so rusted it went across the scales

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #46
Ackattack

My dad lives in Hays. I could see if he wants to take a look at it for you. He had a 69 SWB when I was a kid and helped me on mine a few times, so he knows a thing or two about them.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #47
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

^^^^ thats what I'm talking about .....be sure to send hime a gift cert to Applebees or something for do'n it!! I know peersonally it has saved me a few trips or getting ripped off on some expencive race boat parts

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #48
pat 70/71

Take the time and go look at it with your eyes! I once was interested in a 72swb and had the guy send pics, truck looked good so we made a deal. The more I thought about it the more I was sure I needed to see it for myself.So the little woman and I drove 14 hours straight to bend Oregon from so cal. The truck was bad! paint bubbles / pass a cat through the floor kind of bad! (The seller told me on the phone it has a little rust at the bottom of the doors) Learned never trust pics or sellers sales pitches. spent the night& drove home with my tail between my legs! LEARN FROM THIS! cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #49
BB72CHEVKT

I will sell this one for $2000 if I keep the seat, tilt and battery. Bought it from board member bobvilla who bought it from board member shaneschevys if you are looking for some background.http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2455978983.html and I am 2 hours max from you. This truck is worth more than $2k in parts.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #50
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

I've bought 2 of them from out NW, had board members go look at both of them and also get more pics. Both turned out to be real nice trucks. I couldn't thank the baord members enough for looking at them for me. I sent them both cashiers checks overnighted them, once they cashed them they mailed me the titles, no problems. Had a shipper pick them and haul them to me
I also went and looked at a truck for a board member, he bought it and I hauled it to my house and stored it for him till he could come get it.
I now have board members looking for me a blazer, someone will find me one.
This board is great about this!!!
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote