The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: Barnfind 1970 c10

Great truck! Nothing beats black with a red interior!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #27
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's72 View Post
That's normal. Factory if you will. Even better than against the firewall where you can get rust coming off it.
Posted via Mobile Device
It looked really awkward under the hood. Sure didn't look stock.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Sharp looking truck you have there. Make it reliable and safe to drive then have fun with it.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
willy3486

Here is a picture of a 8 track I want to put in. I am not sure of the original vehicle but it is a original one for a chevy. I have two more for parts but they are different cases, these were made by Automatic if I remember correctly. This one has the underdash case with it as well. I plan on rebuilding it and putting in a new belt. I got this years ago and wanted to rebuild it to sale. I am glad I didn't sale it. I think it was in a load of stuff I got from a fellow who was a Delco radio repairman. I bought his shop out when he retired. I also got lots of manuals in the deal.

willy3486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #30
willy3486

Help!! Seriously first things first. I am just about ready to see if it can run. I noticed a issue that may not be a issue, it could be just because its been siting so long. On the manual shifter on the column I noticed that I can't move the shifter forwards or backwards. It can go up or down. I looked under the hood and it has two levers that go to it. I can move each lever up or down under the hood. I am wondering if this will clear up once it is running. Best I remember I could pull the shifter towards me and push up or down and also push away from me and then push up or down originally. IF you have any info I would love to hear it.

On to the truck parts installed and work done. As of now I have oil changed,new plugs,wires,distributor cap, all new hoses on radiator and heater, new rubber gas hoses, and new gas pump. I also ordered a new gas tank pickup and outside gas filler hose seal but they are not here yet. I also put a new gas filter and cleaned the tank. I did the wd40 in the pistons as suggested and it turns over great. I also have the breaks rebuilt with new hoses,brake shoes and brake cylinders. I have a guy coming over next week if he is able and he is a good carb guy. I don't have luck on carbs and get him to fix mine and to do tuneups. So hopefully I will have it running next week.

Tomorrow I plan to put the tank back in and sit the seat in but not bolt it in until the new sender is here. Plans after it is finally running is to take the original wheels off so I can have the tires removed. I then plan to sand and clean the rims then repaint them. Then I can get new tires. I was talking to the wife today and we decieded for Christmas to go in and buy us a new seat cover like the original for ourselves. I bought a new dash and it is installed now. We also plan to put a new exhaust system and paint job, the truck has been painted once before so it is not the factory paint job. I have been busy and here are a couple of pics.

Here is the new hoses and other items. I still need to do a few things like fastening the heater hoses.

Here is the inside. The seat is out for now due to cleaning the gas tank so I cleaned the rubber mat .

If anyone has thoughts on the shifter I would appreciate hearing it.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
chrisestes

nice truck!
chrisestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #32
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy3486 View Post
Help!! Seriously first things first. I am just about ready to see if it can run. I noticed a issue that may not be a issue, it could be just because its been siting so long. On the manual shifter on the column I noticed that I can't move the shifter forwards or backwards. It can go up or down. I looked under the hood and it has two levers that go to it. I can move each lever up or down under the hood. I am wondering if this will clear up once it is running. Best I remember I could pull the shifter towards me and push up or down and also push away from me and then push up or down originally. IF you have any info I would love to hear it.

On to the truck parts installed and work done. As of now I have oil changed,new plugs,wires,distributor cap, all new hoses on radiator and heater, new rubber gas hoses, and new gas pump. I also ordered a new gas tank pickup and outside gas filler hose seal but they are not here yet. I also put a new gas filter and cleaned the tank. I did the wd40 in the pistons as suggested and it turns over great. I also have the breaks rebuilt with new hoses,brake shoes and brake cylinders. I have a guy coming over next week if he is able and he is a good carb guy. I don't have luck on carbs and get him to fix mine and to do tuneups. So hopefully I will have it running next week.

Tomorrow I plan to put the tank back in and sit the seat in but not bolt it in until the new sender is here. Plans after it is finally running is to take the original wheels off so I can have the tires removed. I then plan to sand and clean the rims then repaint them. Then I can get new tires. I was talking to the wife today and we decieded for Christmas to go in and buy us a new seat cover like the original for ourselves. I bought a new dash and it is installed now. We also plan to put a new exhaust system and paint job, the truck has been painted once before so it is not the factory paint job. I have been busy and here are a couple of pics.

Here is the new hoses and other items. I still need to do a few things like fastening the heater hoses.

Here is the inside. The seat is out for now due to cleaning the gas tank so I cleaned the rubber mat .

If anyone has thoughts on the shifter I would appreciate hearing it.

Do a search on the forum for 3 on the tree shifter and 3OTT. There are a few how-to posts on getting them working right that are very useful.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
swamp rat

Subscribed!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #34
willy3486

Update on the column shifter . It seems to be working now. I followed the info at the post http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307

I had also posted a post here specific to it that really helped. One reason I like this site, folks will help out and offer good suggestions. I am also spraying the column inside with PB blaster to loosen it some more. The shifter is working but seems to be stiff probably to the grease being old inside the column. I also cleaned the tank Friday and then pored some of the tank coating stuff inside. I have it setting inside the truck. I ordered a new sending unit and rubber grommet that goes around the neck. Hopefully that will be here this week. I have the fuel line to the carb redone. So hopefully this week I will get to hear it run.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #35
hugger6933

This is coming from a paint and body guy, if those pics are anywhere close to what you have please don't paint that truck. I think you can find more guys that will want to stone me for saying that. I say have the rusty spots fixed and blended best they can that thing is original once but you can restore it a hundred times. And being a paint and body guy I would love I mean LOVE to get a chance to get one that appears as close to nice as that one does. I will take in the stuff that turns others stomach because it is just work to me. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #36
willy3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
This is coming from a paint and body guy, if those pics are anywhere close to what you have please don't paint that truck. I think you can find more guys that will want to stone me for saying that. I say have the rusty spots fixed and blended best they can that thing is original once but you can restore it a hundred times. And being a paint and body guy I would love I mean LOVE to get a chance to get one that appears as close to nice as that one does. I will take in the stuff that turns others stomach because it is just work to me. Jim
Let me explain about the truck being "original" the best I can since there are many ways to look at "being original". As far as being original goes the truck has not had anything added or changed to make it different. As far as the truck goes the engine is the same from the factory,the same wheels and hubcaps, no aftermarket radio,to tilt column,original manual transmission. What has been changed or added is a sliding back window,a underdash kraco tape player, one head I think has been replaced, maybe one fender, a bed liner,bed cover and the outside has been repainted at least once. The paint in the inside is original and I plan on keeping it. So the outside paint is not factory.

Since the outside paint is not original I was planning to repaint it. If it was original I would go the route of having it touched up. I plan on having the inside touched up if it needs it. I also plan on taking out the kraco tape and putting a original 8 track that was sold at a chevy dealer about that time. I also plan on hunting down another hubcap or two for the mag nuts on them to make the set we have complete. I also replaced the original dash as the one on it was coming apart and was not fixable. It had pieces missing. The seats vinyl is also shot/torn so I want to find one that looks original. Another thing about the paint there is a couple of places that have rust bubling through. Although it does have just a few pieces of rust I want it fixed as best as possible. I have seen way too many patch jobs that just get worse. I have a couple that because of where they are after market pieces are made to fit right in.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #37
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Just found this thread....
Nice truck with family history, congrats!
I'm a graduate of White County High in Sparta so I know the area. I also jumped off of Sligo bribge a time or two (for fun).
Good luck with your truck, you've come to the right forum.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #38
willy3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Just found this thread....
Nice truck with family history, congrats!
I'm a graduate of White County High in Sparta so I know the area. I also jumped off of Sligo bribge a time or two (for fun).
Good luck with your truck, you've come to the right forum.
Sligo bridge is on its way out so to speak. They are building one next to it and Sligo will be taken down. If you are from around here you may be familiar with my old stomping ground of Rock Island State park. I was there all the time in the 80s. I noticed you have a scotty, I have one as well that I did a ground up rebuild. Its a 71 but instead of the paneling I went back with the robins egg blue for the insides like the original ones from the 50s are. We will use this truck to pull it to Rock Island and other places.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #39
flashed

Nice truck you have there ,how many fake lug nuts are you in need of ,I may have a few left ?
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #40
willy3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Nice truck you have there ,how many fake lug nuts are you in need of ,I may have a few left ?
At this point I don't know exactly yet. I have some of the hubcaps under the bed cover and some in a box put up. I will see if I can find them and post how many. I was thinking of looking around and seeing if I can find a complete one better than one I have. I plan on taking all the nuts off as the plastic is brittle then fill them with something like a epoxy in them. Before it dries I plan to put a bolt in the center of the nut so I can remount it. I looked at one of the caps and it has a lip that should hold it on the epoxy.

As far as other work I forgot to post I have got new mirrors on the side. I picked up some new stainless mirror heads to replace the rusted ones. They look just like the originals. I also checked with a guy to take the tires off the rims. I plan to wire brush and sand the rims. Even though they were not originally black my wife wants them black. So black it will be.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #41
flashed

I may have an extra hubcap ,post pics of what you have when you can and I will see what I have extra .If you just need a few nuts I can probably find a few to send you .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #42
willy3486

SHE LIVES!!!

I couldn't get it to run so I tinkered with it for the last few days. I first tinkered with the spark of one of the plugs. I run a spark plug wire to the coil and to a plug. It didn't spark. So I then pulled the main plug wire from the cap and pushed back the little cap on it. I then repushed the wire into the distributor and the coil. I then pushed the caps down the wires. I was then able to get a spark to a plug. I put that wire back on the plug it was on. I sprayed some carb cleaner down the carb to loosen any gunk. It tried to start but didn't. That was last night and at that point I quit for the night.

Tonight I tried again. This time I took a little bit of gas and poured it down the carb. It tried to start but then quit. I tried it a few more times and it finally began to run. You could tell it had not run for a while due to the smell of the exhaust. If you let your foot off the gas it will eventually stop and not idle. I may still have a few small air hoses that need to be replaced. But as far as it running if I gave it a little gas to keep it running it ran a lot smoother than I expected after sitting a while.

Another good thing is that I was worried on the oil pressure. When you would try to start it would eventually peg out. Now with it running the oil pressure will go up but it doesn't peg out while running. It goes to about 3/4 of the way up and stays. So it seems to be keeping good oil pressure.

Tomorrow on the agenda I plan to take the wheels and tires off. I am going to take them to town and have a guy there to take the tires off the rim. I then plan to clean the rust spots off and primer the rims. Then paint them. We hope to get tires in the next few days. We probably will do a little more fine tuning so to speak before it hits the road.

But for now it is running. So hopefully it will be not long before we can get it on the road again.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #43
swamp rat

Have you tried to put gas in the tank yet? Changed the fuel filter? just trying to figure out where your at cause it seems now you aren't getting fuel to the carb, it could mean all you need to do is buy a carb rebuild kit to get it running on its own.

If you have gas in the tank you can unhook the outlet line from the fuel pump and put a hose on it to a container, then turn it over a bit and see if its pumping a good amount of gas into the containor, if that is good then time to move to a new fuel filter and carb rebuild..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #44
willy3486

It has gas in the tank. As far as the gas system here is what I have done from tank to carb. I cleaned the tank out and got one of the liner kits to coat it. I also put in a new fuel pickup for the tank. I cleaned out all the steel lines. I also replaced all the rubber gas lines. I replaced the gas pump. I then put a new filter on. I primered the carb by pouring a little gas down the carb to get it running. It runs now and smooth. But it will die if I take my foot off the gas pedal. I think that may be due to the vaccum hoses.I found a couple I plan to change out tomorrow. I can press the gas pedal a little to give it gas and it will stay running. And for one that has not run as long as this one hasn't it runs really good. Tomorrow I plan to finish a few items under the hood and pull the wheels off. I want to clean and repaint the rims before new tires.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #45
swamp rat

It sounds to me like the idle circuit had gotten gummed up, is this a 2 barrel? I did this with my Edelbrock 4 barrel when the idle circuit got gummed up and wouldn't idle, but i did it to both air fuel screws, a 2 barrel has one screw but the principal is the same. it might be worth a shot for you...

Find the air/fuel screw, turn it in slowly and count the turns in to where it is lightly seated, don't force it down real tight or you can distort the taper on the end of the screw, remember the turn count, write it down if you have too.

Now pull the screw all the way out and get a can of carb cleaner with the nozzle, stick the nozzle in the hole as far as it will go then cover the port with your finger and give it a shot of cleaner, the intent here is to be looking down the carb body and see if the cleaner is coming into the primary barrel thru the idle circuit port and also to try and push the cleaner back into the float bowl to clean that passage as well. Might just do the trick as a temporary fix until you can open it up and give it a good cleaning.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #46
willy3486

Thanks Swap rat, I will try that tomorrow. This is the original 2 barrel carb. I am leary of messing with a carb. I have a 66 Ford I tried to rebuild the carb a few times and made it worse each time. I am beginning to wonder if that carb was just bad. Anyway on this one I plan on buying a book tomorrow for it. I like to have one of the repair manuals to study it so I can figure things out. I will look for one with the carb details on it.

I have one fellow who is excellent on them lined up to fix it. But I haven't be able to get him to come out and my wife wants it running. I talked to another guy but what he wants to charge will knock the tires out for now. So I plan on tinkering with it myself for now. My wife wants me to rebuild the carb myself at Christmas break. I may give it a try. I need to look here to get an idea on the points replacement. I will also check out a book for it on the points as well. I am pumped up that I have got it running. At one point I didn't think I would ever get it driveable, even around my place.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #47
garett

Nice truck and if u need parts this is the guy . He will ahi stuff and is really nice and doesn't kill u on prices. I use frank’s PICKMUPS
1516 46TH Ave. N. E.
Olympia, WA 98506
360-956-7170 (appointments available)
Email: frankeham@comcast.net
garett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #48
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Congrats on your progress! Keep at it, that's a great truck.
I love Rock Island State Park too! Rented a 'Cabin' there (sleeps about 12!).
My Scotty is a 71 also, very cool.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #49
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Good looking truck love the black and red color combo..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #50
willy3486

Thanks for the replies folks. Renokeene I will probably take the truck and the scotty to Rock Island in the spring. Nice park and only about 20 minutes away for me.

On to the truck, latest updates. I have been busy. I wanted to get the wheels off today so I could get the old tires off. I took them off this morning and got the rims sanded and the last coat of paint on tonight. Even though I plan on using the original hubcaps that cover all the wheel I wanted to clean the rust off. Hopefully they will be dry tomorrow and I can get a set of tires tomorrow.

As far as it running. I aired up two tires that were flat and started the truck. I slowly pulled it out and noticed it would idle now. I drove it to my backyard and jacked it up. It now will idle so I think I will run it around the place some to see if it gets smoother. Next on the agenda is a new seat cover and new muffler. I also want to get it running good enough to drive it on the road.