The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
easyrider

Column shift problems

I have just purchased a 68 Chevy C-10 with manual shift. The gears don't grind but the shifting is very tight and binding. Is there something inside the column that would make this hard to shift? At bottom of column is very black with old grease. Linkage is loose and bushings are worn out, so that isn't the problem. I really don't want to disassemble the steering column unless necessary. Just wanted to see if any of you have had this problem. Thanks!
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Column shift problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
I have just purchased a 68 Chevy C-10 with manual shift. The gears don't grind but the shifting is very tight and binding. Is there something inside the column that would make this hard to shift? At bottom of column is very black with old grease. Linkage is loose and bushings are worn out, so that isn't the problem. I really don't want to disassemble the steering column unless necessary. Just wanted to see if any of you have had this problem. Thanks!

-
Block the wheels and put the shift lever in neutral. Spray some PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or something similar (not WD-40) into the steering column, where the shift lever goes in (in the cab). Stick the tube in around the shift lever as far as you can and don't be afraid to give it a good dousing. Now spray the levers under the hood. After you spray everything pull the shift lever up toward you and push it back down toward the dash. The knob should move up and down a couple of inches. Do this 4 or 5 times. This will help free up any sticking in the upper shift lever tube. The reason the shift lever moves up and down is because it should be pulled back towards you to shift it into low and reverse and towards the dash to shift into 2nd & 3rd.. Let us know if that helps or not....

If anyone is reading this that has an automatic it works the same for them too. On the autos the shift lever moves up and down to shift in/out of park/reverse.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-24-2020 at 03:43 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
easyrider

Thanks, Lock Doc!
I'll give it a try, when I go back out there tomorrow. Is there anything in the steering column, other than top bearing and bottom bearing?
Old 02-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks, Lock Doc!
I'll give it a try, when I go back out there tomorrow. Is there anything in the steering column, other than top bearing and bottom bearing?

Yes, lots of stuff.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 02-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
easyrider

I went out to the shop and tried your fix and it seems that 2nd and 3rd gear shift was a little better, but 1st and reverse still tight and spongy, like moving under water ( best analogy I could come up with). I would try to take the column apart, but your photo made me wonder if I would get it apart and never back together again! I feel like it should just fall into place with each shift. Give me more things to try and I will. Thanks!!
Old 02-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I went out to the shop and tried your fix and it seems that 2nd and 3rd gear shift was a little better, but 1st and reverse still tight and spongy, like moving under water ( best analogy I could come up with). I would try to take the column apart, but your photo made me wonder if I would get it apart and never back together again! I feel like it should just fall into place with each shift. Give me more things to try and I will. Thanks!!
That's about all I know except to disassemble it. Keep trying the spray and moving it for a while. It really isn't that hard to disassemble, just take pictures as you do it to help when you put it back together, and lay the parts out in order as you remove them.

LockDoc

-