The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Steve Cole

Anyone successfully rebuilt their hood hinges?

I don't mean send them out and pay someone else to do it, I mean drill out the rivets, oversize the holes and install larger rives themselves. I have given up trying to buy used OEM hinges cause they are usually worn as bad or worse than what I already have. Don't really want to use aftermarket either. I believe I can do this myself, my biggest concern is being able to rivet two hinge arms together and still have movement when I'm done. In other words, not rivet them too tightly.

So, has anyone done this? And if so, could you give me any tips? Thanks.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Anyone successfully rebuilt their hood hinges?

I've never taken them apart to rebuild, but I've squeezed them in a big vice to tighten them up.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I've never taken them apart to rebuild, but I've squeezed them in a big vice to tighten them up.
Great idea. I am going to have to try that.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Steve Cole

Unfortunately, squeezing the pieces in a vise will not fix elongated rivet holes. It may help if there was a gap between the two pieces but that is almost never the case.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
Billhilly

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=217490&page=7 We start talking about it on this page, and there is pictures of the finished products on the next page. Willie Wilson was super helpful. I dismantled, built up and reamed out holes. Zinc plated and painted, then reassembled. He (Willie) will do it all for you. I'm sure I saw somewhere (Rock Auto?) that you could still buy OE, well one side anyway! Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billhilly View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=217490&page=7 We start talking about it on this page, and there is pictures of the finished products on the next page. Willie Wilson was super helpful. I dismantled, built up and reamed out holes. Zinc plated and painted, then reassembled. He (Willie) will do it all for you. I'm sure I saw somewhere (Rock Auto?) that you could still buy OE, well one side anyway! Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the reply Billhilly! Is there a trick for pressing these rivets without getting them too tight for proper movement?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Diggers Dad

I wedged in thin 1/2 inch E clips to the rivets. Don't know how long it will last but very easy to do.

Mike
Diggers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggers Dad View Post
I wedged in thin 1/2 inch E clips to the rivets. Don't know how long it will last but very easy to do.

Mike
Not sure I am following you Mike, are you saying you installed the E clips between the arms? Was that to take up slack on worn hinges? Or installed temporarily to keep the arms from being pressed together too tightly during riveting?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Diggers Dad

Steve Takes up slack from worn hinges/rivets. The shoulder on the rivets are 1/2 inch. The E-clips just snap around the shoulder. Not perfect but I'll see how long it lasts.

Mike
Diggers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Anyone successfully rebuilt their hood hinges?

Why not let Willie do it. It's been 3-4 years on mine and they look great and not any play at all in them so far. He does great work and you can't beat his prices.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
Billhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Thanks for the reply Billhilly! Is there a trick for pressing these rivets without getting them too tight for proper movement?
No real trick, but I did take everything to a friends shop. He did the pressing while I held everything and 'wriggled' the arms and made the call on when to stop pressing. Worked out ok. Willie does send a couple extra rivets in case you overcook it!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Why not let Willie do it. It's been 3-4 years on mine and they look great and not any play at all in them so far. He does great work and you can't beat his prices.
Willie wants $150 to bead blast the hinges and replace the rivets. That seems like a fair price but it is $150 more than I have to spend right now. I can buy rivets online for a fraction of that cost. I have access to drills, reamers, bead blasters and a hydraulic press. I want to do this myself, if it doesn't work, I'm not out much money. I was just looking for tips from someone who may have done this before.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
Billhilly

If you have access to that stuff you'll be fine. If I can do it, I'm sure you can!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
Steve Cole

Quote:
If you have access to that stuff you'll be fine. If I can do it, I'm sure you can!
I contacted Willie and he said he doesn't sell just the rivets. Did you buy rivets from him?

Here is his reply...

Steven,

We do not sell rivets for repair, as every hinge set is different in the size of the rivet hole and the metal thickness, so no way to have a generic truck rivet. We can rebuild both your hinges for 150.00, plus shipping. That gets them back in bare metal or primer and that is as cheap as we can do. The only way to get it cheaper is to have them media-blasted before they arrive here and I will pay the return shipping charges. Thanks,
Old 04-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #15
Steve Cole

Quote:
No real trick, but I did take everything to a friends shop. He did the pressing while I held everything and 'wriggled' the arms and made the call on when to stop pressing. Worked out ok. Willie does send a couple extra rivets in case you overcook it!

That is what I was looking for! Thank you. I would not have thought of wriggling the arms while pressing.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
Billhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
I contacted Willie and he said he doesn't sell just the rivets. Did you buy rivets from him?
Yeah, but it was a couple of years ago now. (My memory is going) but I wonder if it was an option on his website then. Obviously it has changed. There was another guy doing it as well. I'll have a look around.
Truck painter is here, gotta run!