The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Jeepwm69

Vacuum hose routing/ diagram?

Yesterday I started replacing all the original rotted, cracked vacuum hose under the hood.

A few weeks ago the truck started hesitating and sputtering, and someone here suggested it sounded like the vacuum advance hose might be off. I looked, and sure enough, the hose was rotted and had broken off. I cut the end loose and stuck it on and it ran fine.

I ordere new hose, and started routing yesterday. At some point in the past someone has obviously blocked off a few of the hoses, so not sure where everthing goes. For example, in pic #1, this was on the front of the motor right up top, and the middle and top right holes went on the two prongs on the motor, while the other two hoses weren't on anything.

In pic #2 you'll see where it connects in the bottom right of the pic. This is how I hooked things up following the same routing as before, but eliminating some of the extra hoses that didn't appear to be hooked up to anything. That little 4 way block....is that a check valve of some sort?

Pic #3 shows the distrubutor and another one of these connectors on the back of the block right at the base of the distributor.

So basically I eliminated that 4 way plug in pic #1 because it was rotted beyond help, and there weren't any male fittings to slide new hose onto. The truck now runs like it did when I had the vacuum leak with the vacuum advance, so I'm thinking that something isn't right, possibly that 4 way connector in pic 2 if it's a check valve.

Does anyone have the simplest vacuum diagram one can use on one of these older trucks? This one doesn't have any emission crap on it anymore and I want it to be as basic as possible. On my Jeep I eliminated everything except the vacuum advance and PCV valve, and would like to so something similar for this truck.

It looks like I have a vacuum hose going to the A/C area, which I assume is for the climate controls. I obviously need one for vacuum advance. Could I run straight from distributor to carb? The EGR and the two little connectors (are they CTO valves) on top of the engine are what I'm not sure about, and there is also a hose going to the grill to what looks like a charcoal canister for fumes.

Sorry for the wordy post, just trying to get as much info out there from the get go. Any suggestsions on running these hoses?
Attached Images

Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote