The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2024, 01:24 PM   #1
MikeB

Re: Proportioning valve problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
Mike, Good to see you got it working. Did you figure out the actual fail point on the valve you replaced?
No. But I did pull out the valve and spring, and another piece fell out. The only rust I see is on the threads and o-ring. There's a sleeve inside the casting that also looks OK, but not great.

The aftermarket brass valve is working OK and not leaking (yet). It came with a later model switch and pigtail that I'll use. I'm pretty disappointed that the new OE switch replacement failed so soon.

I have to make a confession here. I'm actually wondering if there was any problem at all, other that the switch being too sensitive. When I started to bleed the rear brakes yesterday, I initially had the same problem -- low flow out of the bleeder screw again. Oh, no!

But here was the problem: It's really hard to get much of a turn on a box end wrench with the bleeder's location in the wheel cylinder casting. So I was able to insert the wrench in a way to get maybe another 45 degrees on the turn, and lo and behold, fluid streamed out! Really strange because I have bled brakes dozens of times over the years w/o screwing up like this.

Oh, well. I can tell myself 1) I learned something, 2) I have new fluid end-to-end, and 3) I'll end up with a rebuilt OEM combination valve!

It was also a good day because we fixed a couple brake problems with my buddy's new-to-him 99 Silverado 1500. One of the rear caliper pistons was stuck (!) and the parking brake adjustment was too tight. No bleeding problems, though.
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote