The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2005, 01:33 AM   #1
ers13

Door Question

I know this should be posted in paint and body, but here goes anyway. I recently came across a decent set of 72 blazer doors, actually rust free. The only problem is the bottom section on the Pax door has some rock rash. My question, has anyone delt with replacement of lower door skins? If so, good? bad? best supplyer? Or should I just do a complete reskin?

Thanks

Ed
ers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
vtblazer

Couln't it just be hammered out and then skinned lightly with mud?

Any pics? Kinda depends on the extent of the damage.

Welcome to the board. Your location please.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
Huck

I recently replaced a bottom door outer skin. Between the time it took, the cost in material, and the final results, I would not try it again. You really need to have a welder that handles thin metal and my doesn't. You also need to kind of know how to work metal and the replacement piece isn't a perfect fit. ALSO, after you cut the original skin, you still have an issue of getting the section off--got a lot of welds to break or cut through. For someone with the right knowledge, tools, and time, probably a no brainer but for me---I'll look for a good original truck or blazer door, or buy a new one. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
ers13

Thanks for the input. VT Blazer, the doors on the bottom nine inches are bashed in due to rock contact. I guess I could get them filled, but I was hoping to have new panels put on. As far as pictures, I'm still a little digitally challenged, BUT I will try to post door pics. I live just south of Washington DC Huck, also thanks for your input. I was planning to take them to a body shop. My sheet metal skills are lacking, although I can crush a beer can on my head. Thanks again!

Ed
ers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
pound41

If it's a 9inch gash and you cannot beat it out. One way is to Cut a patch to fit closely in the area.It doesn't have to be perfect just a good weld. Then you just skim over it. Saw a welder do it on a chop top merc that someone had bashed in. Works verywell. Anyway Good Luck. I am in North Springfield, Va
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote