The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2024, 09:54 AM   #1
justaburbn

79 Frankenstein

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

If only I was a teenager, then I'd know everything! I for sure don't know what I'm getting myself into here.

Where do I even start? As if life weren't challenging enough I had to go and adopt this "79 Frankenstein" monster. Is there no end to the things we do to ourselves? LOL!

Any and all input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Please check back frequently as I'm going to upload more pictures of the overall existing condition. I'm not sure how to deal with body rust. It has some really bad floor rot along the door openings.

Can anyone help me decipher this VIN? CCU169F166042 I'm pretty sure the "F"
is for Frankenstein! LOL!

Title says: year 1979 make CHEV body LL model C10 description SUB 2500

I'm confused about what is original and what is not. And also, how can it be a C10 and 2500 at the same time?

It currently has a manual tranny and 4x4 set up. I think SM465 and NP203.

Axles: 8 lugs, locking hubs, 10 bolts front and rear, 4:56 or lower? Top speed so far about 45mph. Tranny vibrates and rumbles going down the road, and it make a crackling sound when shifting gears. Top speed is about 45

Is it possible for 3/4 ton to mount under 1/2 ton leaf springs?

I'm thinking about getting a used SM465 (if that's really what is in it) and see if that helps it roll down the road any better so I can tell what else is going on?

I'm thinking this will be a logging road runner, but it needs the ability to cruise long distances at 60-70mph as well so I may need help understanding the NV4500 route.

So thankful for this great community,

Justabubn
Attached Images

justaburbn is offline   Reply With Quote