The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #126
kyle4381

Re: Dropmember in a 69 C10

Nathan,
I like those C4 a arms I think I need this set up for the 62 with a tubular crossmember and a set of Shock waves. When the blazer gets done the 62 frame is next.. Sweet work...
kyle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #127
Tony@AirRideTech

I like that with the C-4 arms on there ....... and those pieces polish out nice too........
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #128
PBFAB.COM

Here are some updated pics of the Dropmember C4. They show the control arm/shockwave mount and some other misc angles to get an idea on tire clearance. This control arm/shockwave mount is for a 6" ride height and will set the frame just over a half inch off the ground with a 27" tall tire.
Attached Images

PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #129
leftcoast66

amazing setup, hopefully one of these days I'll do something like that, I love the idea. Good luck w/ the shop, hopefully I two will have a shop...
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:06 AM   #130
SCOTI

Nathan,

Is the C4-Dropmember steering rack positioned similarly like the C10-Dropmember rack?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-09-2006 at 01:08 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:18 AM   #131
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Nathan,

Is the C4-Dropmember steering rack positioned similarly like the C10-Dropmember rack?
It sets in a real similar position, just slightly lower by about an inch.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:58 AM   #132
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt
This control arm/shockwave mount is for a 6" ride height and will set the frame just over a half inch off the ground with a 27" tall tire.
With this setup, does the crossmember hit the ground before the frame, or is the suspension just bottomed out when the frame is a half inch from the ground?

Also, are the stock C4 tie rod ends going to be able to be used with this custom rack, or will it have to be the heims again?

Once again Nathan, I'm super impressed with your work. Hopefully I can get one of these in the not-so-distant future.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #133
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
With this setup, does the crossmember hit the ground before the frame, or is the suspension just bottomed out when the frame is a half inch from the ground?

Also, are the stock C4 tie rod ends going to be able to be used with this custom rack, or will it have to be the heims again?

Once again Nathan, I'm super impressed with your work. Hopefully I can get one of these in the not-so-distant future.
Just like the original Dropmember, the Dropmember C4 makes the frame-rails the lowest point of the truck. With the 6"ride height the shockwave will hit its bumpstop just before the frame hits the ground.

As for stock tie-rod ends... I am working with my rack and pinion manufacturer to make this happen... it can be done, just a matter of how long it will take. This is the route I intend on taking.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #134
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Nathan, when you get a chance, can you shoot a pic of the truck from the front end so I can get an idea of how far in the wheels/tires are set? It looks like a lot from the pics I've seen.
You're work is inspiring to say the least. Your welds are amazing, and the fabrication is just stunning. Thank you for sharing with us.
-Bret
Old 09-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #135
valleycustom

Nathan,

Old 09-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #136
watahyahknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I am pretty confident that the crossmember on the 1-ton is the same, just the spindles and brakes are heavier duty. I do not see it being a problem. What year is it? I will do a little bit of research to find out. If it is pre-73 the lower control arm will need to be slightly clearanced... I was supposed to post up a pic of this, hopefully Monday I can find a little time!

i was considering chainging a one ton 1983 truck (see avatar but think 2 wheel drive ) to ford rack cause it seems to steer tighter (no slack in rods and such )

to bring it a bit lower i was thinking on only using other spindles and a flipkit in the back only want to go 3 to 5 inch lower , bigger wheels will bring it back up again .
for these wheels i've allso been looking intoo http://www.chromewheel.com/ , i realy realy like there 22 inch truckrim and 8 to 11 bolt adapterplate setup they make .
but im need to move back to the subject : the last man i talked to (from flaming river i think it was ) about this type of steering talked me out of it telling me the ford rack setup was too weak a setup for the one ton pickup and the trucktires i was planning to use he told me the setup would wear excesively .
if i order a the ford type steering and suspensionsetup it would be more for better cornering than the the abillity to drop the frame to the deck

what would be the best option for me ?

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 09-10-2006 at 10:41 AM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #137
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
i was considering chainging a one ton 1983 truck (see avatar but think 2 wheel drive ) to ford rack cause it seems to steer tighter (no slack in rods and such )

to bring it a bit lower i was thinking on only using other spindles and a flipkit in the back only want to go 3 to 5 inch lower , bigger wheels will bring it back up again .
for these wheels i've allso been looking intoo http://www.chromewheel.com/ , i realy realy like there 22 inch truckrim and 8 to 11 bolt adapterplate setup they make .
but im need to move back to the subject : the last man i talked to (from flaming river i think it was ) about this type of steering talked me out of it telling me the ford rack setup was too weak a setup for the one ton pickup and the trucktires i was planning to use he told me the setup would wear excesively .
if i order a the ford type steering and suspensionsetup it would be more for better cornering than the the abillity to drop the frame to the deck

what would be the best option for me ?
The determining factor, in deciding if a MII rack and pinion will be appropriate for any application, is the front axle weight of the vehicle. The information I have been given from "the engineers" at Maval Manufacturing a.k.a. Unisteer in regard to this issue is the following: 'If the front axle weight exceeds 1800lbs. the MII rack and pinion will be operating at its limits. At or near the 1800lbs. front axle weight it is recommended that a manual MII rack be used, not a power unit (the manual rack is a beefier unit, and has a larger pinion). Ratcheting effects have been experienced on the power unit when operated beyond this perameter' (that's paraphrased).

My recommendation would be to keep your one ton steering set-up. If the steering feels 'loose' or 'sloppy' it may be time for some components to be replaced. With the big wheels, the one-ton components... and if equipped with a Big Block, your front axle weight could be getting close to a MII's limits. Flaming River, or whomever it was you spoke to was offering good advice! It may be sufficient, but it definitely would not be recommended on such a heavy vehicle.

I would make sure the steering linkage and gear box is nice and tight, and throw a beefy sway bar on it. It might not be as 'tight' as a rack and pinion, but it will definitely do the job.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #138
Rokcrln

Well Nate that is one way to loose a sale

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #139
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post

Kevin
LFD Inc.
hehehe, better to lose a sale than to provoke a lawsuit.....
Old 09-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #140
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post

Kevin
LFD Inc.
1st: I realize it was a joke . . ....

But..... He might have lost 1-sale, but because of his honesty in assessing the guys goal, gained 3-more who were 'on the fence' looking for a honest place to work with.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-11-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:25 AM   #141
watahyahknow

i apreciate his honesty too , sure is better than having both wheels turn out in the middle of a 55 mph turn .
guys like that can hardly be found here where i live , we dont do a lot of lawsuits here (dutch law doesnt have a lot of possibilities for that ) so they kindah do wat they want ripping off people left and right aspecially in the autobranch and houseconstruction .
guess i stick to the stock type steering .

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #142
Rokcrln

Just so everyone knows that was a total joke! Nate is as honest as the day is long. And yes he would rather loose 10 sales than make a buck if it was not the right thing to do.
I wish the US was the same way with law suits! Seams here is you look at someone the wronge way they try and think of a way to sue. My Ex wife is a D.A. and tells me all kinds of horror stories that should have never made it to a court room.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #143
PBFAB.COM

Sorry I haven't responded to the thread for a couple of days... my wife had a baby boy this past weekend, so I was pretty occupied! He's a helathy 9.5 pounder!

Bret- I will get some pics of the front end on Friday. It sets in from the lip on the fender about three inches (I think). Again, Friday we'll have some pics and I will get an exact measurement.

Kevin- it's OK if I lost a sell... I'll make it up on your parts!!!!

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #144
Rokcrln

Yeh and then some
Old 09-14-2006, 03:34 AM   #145
watahyahknow

on the new member of the family

Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 AM   #146
PBFAB.COM

Bret- Here's the pics you requested. The tape measure indicates how far inboard the wheel and tire are set. There are pics of it all full compression and ride height.

The Dropmember C4 has undergone a couple of small changes... The first being the rack and pinion: The rack and pinion used will be a factory C4 rack. Turns out that my custom rack ended up being a more expensive version of the C4 rack... only benefit was the ease of fabricating the mounts. The C4 rack will be a better route due to the fact that is in an on the shelf item and readily available. The second change is that upper control arm/shockwave mount has undergone some minor changes.
Attached Images

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-20-2006, 01:00 AM   #147
SCOTI

Please post up any pics you might have of the rack once it's installed w/the C4 set-up. I really like what I'm seeing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-20-2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:05 AM   #148
PBFAB.COM

For those wondering about shipping costs on a Dropmember... it weighs in at 115lbs. that's anywhere from $120 (Southern CA) to $160 (NY). The DropmemberC4 should weigh-in at a bit less... we'll find out here real quick!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 09-21-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #149
1987 Shortwide

Does the C4 suspension make for a wider track at all than the AirRide A-arms?

If I were to go with this setup (I love it by the way), I would more than likely end up running coilover front suspension instead of bags. Reguardless, I will still be running a 15" front wheel (15X5) and I know that these trucks already have a bit of an issue with the front wheels being inward an awful lot (mine is an 87).

I find interest in this setup mainly because I am a simplicity freak, and if I could eliminate that huge crossmember, stock A-arms, and steering box, for all of this clean cut and simple stuff, it would really clean up my under hood appearance.

I'd guess that it'd also perform alot better at high speed than stock stuff too, and as of right now I'll be looking at 130+ in the 1/4 mile on stock junk.

This is what I'm faced with currently...
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 PM   #150
layedoutnoma

if u want to run the c4 stuff with 15's u may have an issue if you use all the spindles and brakes from th c4.. just a guess but something to look into