The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
slepysal

Steering Column .

There I got that out of the way.

My steering column was in need of replacement I could pull the steering wheel out about an inch and the horn would go off if you bumped the steering wheel.
So this weekend I installed the 70 something Van steering column that I bought from pick and pull about 7 years ago.I had purchased everything to install it, new grant wheel and install kit a 36/DD u joint and a used lower collapsible lower shaft that i had modified ( cut and collapsed ) I cleaned it up gave it a rattle can paint job and then the fun began.
Removing the old column was easy enough, the van column install was a challenge because no one around to help, but I got it buttoned up just as my brother in law showed up with some beer.
After a couple of cold ones I go to install the steering wheel only to find the install kit is missing some parts and the steering shaft 9/16" nut is no were to be found and the old one is 1/2". Ordered a new install kit and found a 9/16 castle nut at local parts house that fit fine.
Went to up load pictures only to find the SD card didn't format and lost all pictures. I will snap some when I get the install kit.

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
roll_the_dice

Re: Steering Column .

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Beer always makes installs clearer and better!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote