The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
Zebb

Re: Square Body Smorgashborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingalone View Post
anymore updates? would love to see pics of that color outside in the sun!
I got some more pictures coming of stuff that I have been doing to it. I haven't taken it outside yet so no pics of that. The interior is done except for the floor and the new seat. Gotta spend a few more dollars to get it fired up. Working on that now.

Here is a random picture that I thought was cool.
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #27
GuZ

Great job Zebb, i actually dig the color choice

7 years now and im FINALLY tearing into my 77 3/4. I know how tough it can be to work all day and then hit the project for 4-5 hours afterwards, but the results really show!

How many bolts are there that hold the cab on? That might be the next step for me. Thanks!

Keep up with the pics
GuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #28
Zebb

There are only 4 that hold the cab down to the frame. You will find a bunch of stuff that needs to be disconnected too..Don't forget anything or it will hang you up when you lift it off.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
Zebb

Since this has been apart for so long I had a bunch of parts in boxes stored in my shed. It was like Christmas bringing it all in the garage and going through everything. I had a few parts rigs along the way and saved stuff in case it was better than mine.

Here is a shot of the garage during the process of going through some of the stuff.

I started with the a gutted cab so I did the pedals and heater box first them stretched my old wiring harness out and got that in. I was worried about mice finding the harness but they didn't luckily.

During this stage I found out just how bad my interior was going to look with the new paint color. I new it wasn't going to be great but it looked worse than I thought. The new color seemed to make the maroon look purple. I was bummed because I had scored a nice interior from a blazer for it.
This was at the junkyard taking the interior out of the blazer.

I was going to use these seats on my old custom seat.

I considered keeping the old aris seat and putting the new blazer seats on with covers but the center part would still be red.

Then I got this interior for it. I didn't get the seat or the belts so I am still looking for those.

It looks much better with the charcoal interior. Now I am thinking that I should have a matching bench seat.

The most recent thing I did to the interior was paint the floor with bed liner. I want to find a rubber mat for it, if I can't I will probably buy a new carpet someday so this will work for now.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #30
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

It's looking good!

Hey just order you some seat belt webbing in the color you want then take yours down to your local upholstery shop to have them sewn up. http://www.andoauto.com/SBLChart2.htm
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #31
MalibuSSwagon

love it!
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #32
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Looking really good!

Can you use the bucket seats with covers and get a different console?

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #33
joe231

Very nice!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #34
silvereagle07

Looks great! I love the color choice. I agree on getting a matching bench seat. IMO they look better with a bench seat.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
Zebb

Thanks everyone for the comments. Especially on the color choice. That was a hard decision for me to make. You would think it would be easy to pic a color when you can have it any color that you want. In my mind I had decided on a color multiple times then chose this one at the last minute. I wanted something different but also wanted it to look like it belonged on a square.

As far as the seat goes...I could do anything that I want I suppose. The old aris seat has a full frame so anything could be made to work. The blazer seats aren't a direct bolt it and I had planned on fabbing them on so I could change the center out to a console. My only issue with that is my dog. Sounds silly but he likes to ride and I want him comfortable if he is in the middle.

He has already claimed his spot between me and the wife!

I know a matching bench will look good and function well but always thought that they were a little too squishy and bouncy compared to buckets. With a lift it rides pretty stiff and I prefer a solid feeling seat. So I think I will look for both a bench seat and something to make the old aris look good then see which one I like better.

I'm working on more pictures to bring this thread up to date.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #36
Leedogg

Nice
07 Bandit 1250S - Two wheeled fun!

Click here to see my FQuick Garage!
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #37
Zebb

I got just about ready to fire up. Still need to rebuild the carb and change out the clutch slave cylinder. Then I get to buy every fluid the truck takes.

It's more complete now since this picture

I took the vinyl off the grill and decided to leave it chrome instead of making it match the paint.

Tested all the wiring I could

Note to self: Don't forget to put bolts in ground locations before you paint.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #38
Zebb

I repainted the black portion of the drip rails low gloss black and installed those. That made a huge difference and I think the chrome looks good against the color.

I decided to use a solid back glass this time. I never opened the slider before anyway. I might tint it dark and put my company name in vinyl across it in the future.

Originally my truck was a fleet side then I switched to a step side now I am back to a fleet side. I had this bed that I picked up for it behind the garage. I brought it in before it was snowed in for the year and set it on. I'm not sure if this is the bed that will get painted or not. The only thing it has going for it is the floor and cross rails are in great shape. Both sides need rust repair and should be replaced but that is not in the budget right now so I will work that up last in case I come across something better.

Lately I have been working on fitting the rest of my sheet metal one last time. I still need to install the front glass and put visor on permanently too.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #39
Car'n'Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebb View Post
I got just about ready to fire up. Still need to rebuild the carb and change out the clutch slave cylinder. Then I get to buy every fluid the truck takes.

It's more complete now since this picture

I took the vinyl off the grill and decided to leave it chrome instead of making it match the paint.

Tested all the wiring I could

Note to self: Don't forget to put bolts in ground locations before you paint.
You can take the vinyl of the grille? Is just chrome like that or do you have to buy insert pieces? Thanks if you can help me.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
Zebb

It was just a piece of vinyl over the chrome on my grill. You could see the chrome underneath in a few spots. I used a heat gun to loosen the glue underneath just like taking other vinyl or window tint off. It was really thin stuff and came off in small pieces but it was worth the work to not scratch it up. You won't need much heat either.
As long as I have had that I never knew it was vinyl instead of paint. It's an easy and free mod to do on this style of grill.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #41
Car'n'Guitars

Quote:
It was just a piece of vinyl over the chrome on my grill. You could see the chrome underneath in a few spots. I used a heat gun to loosen the glue underneath just like taking other vinyl or window tint off. It was really thin stuff and came off in small pieces but it was worth the work to not scratch it up. You won't need much heat either.
As long as I have had that I never knew it was vinyl instead of paint. It's an easy and free mod to do on this style of grill.
So the chrome is there regardless? You didn't have to add it? And is that an aftermarket grille or original? Thanks for the info.
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #42
Zebb

The chrome was there all along. It's my original 1986 grill that came in the truck when I got it. The piece of chrome that had the vinyl on it also unbolts from the back like the emblem does.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #43
Car'n'Guitars

Quote:
The chrome was there all along. It's my original 1986 grill that came in the truck when I got it. The piece of chrome that had the vinyl on it also unbolts from the back like the emblem does.
Okay thanks man for all the help. Also I like your truck a lot. Especially the stance what size tires and lift is it?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #44
Zebb

It's a 4" lift with add-a-leafs in the rear. I don't like them to sit level so I put a little rake in it. It has 33" tires on 10" wheels. That's as high as I can go and still get it in the garage. I refuse to work on them outside...too far away from the fridge and the woodstove.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #45
Car'n'Guitars

Cool, I have to work on mine outside. Our garage is full, one side has all our outdoor maintenance equipment and junk, and the other has a Camaro in it.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #46
str8axle55

Truck looks great love the color, and details. I may have an extra stock bench if you can`t locate one, will need to be recovered though.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #47
Zebb

I appreciate the offer of the seat. There aren't many squares left for parts in northern NH anymore. I found a plow truck with belts and a seat but as of right now no parts are for sale from it. I hope he has a change of heart about it. Next time I talk to him about it I'm going to offer to replace it with other stuff plus money because it is local and just what I want.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #48
survivingalone

updates?
survivingalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #49
Zebb

Progress has been a little slow but I did do some stuff.
I got the sheet metal on and am happy with the fit. I ended up having to tweak the cab just a little. For now I am going to leave it assembled and work on the finishing touches for the drive train and engine as money permits so I can start it and move it.
I had to take it out of the garage a few times lately. Here is what it looks like now when it was out front. With all the different colors you can hardly see the orange paint.

This past week I got the rear end rebuilt.

Now I can do some brakes and u-joints next.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #50
Car'n'Guitars

Cool this truck is gonna look good when its done.