The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Re: 6 lug rotors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall View Post
I thought I could save money and buy them local from NAPA

I guess I might have to get the ones from CPP

Any help would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2man63 View Post
I"d like the answer to this question also. So i'm watching.
I have always wanted to explore an option pertaining to your question asked in the very first post. This hands on economy-conversion-build it option would be pending if your new spindles are dimensionally consistent with a factory OE 71/72 disc spindle when it comes to mounting the 1.25" rotor as far as bore depth, bearings & races. The option I have wanted to look into would be using an over the counter easily obtainable from any parts house rotor, an example of my choice would be picking up a Napa #4885537 1/2 ton 5 lug 1.25 standard rotor @ $30.25 ea. or even the step up high performance Napa #PR85537L drilled & slotted version @ $101.15 ea. and then take it to your local axle/machine shop to see if the bolt pattern could be changed from 5 on 5 inch to the 6 on 5.5 inch pattern. Process would be just the opposite of these pictured factory 6 lug 12 bolt rear axles that I had a local machine shop repattern to 5 lug which then allowed me to use this 68 C/10's original narrow housing 12 bolt posi and go to 5 lug now matching the OE 71 front disc conversion swap. Mel
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
dyrt

I scanned through the posts above but i'm at work so i am going to repeat some stuff but i can't spend a ton of time so........

These rotors are made by mcgaughey if i remember correctly. You can get kits directly from them. I purchased mine from a guy on ebay and if i recall correctly, it was just a mcgaughey kit that was shipped right to me. The standard kit is essentially a stock 73 and up hd(1.25") front disc setup including calipers and pads except the rotor blanks are drilled for 6 lug instead of 5. They are designed to be used with the standard 73 and up hd spindle, but there may be a manufacturer that takes the spindle and reams the balljoint holes so that you can use them with stock 67-72 balljoints, i am not sure.

The other option is to use a 3/4 ton lower a-arm and and 1/2 ton upper with the correct size balljoint and you can use 1988-199? spindle and use the later calipers and get new 6 lug rotors right at the auto store. the cool thing about that is you can use all stock gm replacement parts with it. It is a little more involved that that but i am going to score a setup from the junkyard and have it in case i want to use it later on instead of the '86 setup i have now with the 6-lug discs. There is info on this swap on this site somewhere.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
67chevemall

Great idea man...just get the 5 lug rotor re-machined to 6 lug....done.
The CPP rotor is $129 by itself, you could machine the $33 NAPA rotor for half that price. But you would have to trust your machinist very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Bowties View Post
I have always wanted to explore an option pertaining to your question asked in the very first post. This hands on economy-conversion-build it option would be pending if your new spindles are dimensionally consistent with a factory OE 71/72 disc spindle when it comes to mounting the 1.25" rotor as far as bore depth, bearings & races. The option I have wanted to look into would be using an over the counter easily obtainable from any parts house rotor, an example of my choice would be picking up a Napa #4885537 1/2 ton 5 lug 1.25 standard rotor @ $30.25 ea. or even the step up high performance Napa #PR85537L drilled & slotted version @ $101.15 ea. and then take it to your local axle/machine shop to see if the bolt pattern could be changed from 5 on 5 inch to the 6 on 5.5 inch pattern. Process would be just the opposite of these pictured factory 6 lug 12 bolt rear axles that I had a local machine shop repattern to 5 lug which then allowed me to use this 68 C/10's original narrow housing 12 bolt posi and go to 5 lug now matching the OE 71 front disc conversion swap. Mel
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote