The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #126
jpnh

Re: 84 c10 stepside

finally some good weather still not perfect but im running out of time.had to spray the cab and the tailpan to make sure i have enough material to finish.gotta make sure color gets on everything running out of catalyst should have enough to finish the bed/strips takes a full mix 7 on the xtra large mixing cups i got to get around the whole cab and the tailpan too.gonna take some color sanding with 600 grit and re-clearing(flow coats)with this color.gonna need more clear i think. dont have to re-clear everything but some pieces need it for sure. i hate scuffing it up again/remasking everything but its a must to get it to the next level.gonna get color/clear on the bed tomorrow.then color sand monday.gotta keep motivated.
Attached Images

jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #127
jpnh

more pix,getting closer, need to wet sand/remask and more clear.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #128
rip2174

looking good.
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #129
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip2174 View Post
looking good.
thanx rip, its a battle to stay on track. weathers nice. too many people flyn by reving the motor or stopping by sayn lets go! didnt figure anyone would stop by and grab a sanding block.im better off anyway its easy to sand through the clear at this point if your too agressive.gotta keep going.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #130
MalibuSSwagon

Looking great Jeff keep it up. You are almost there!
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #131
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
Looking great Jeff keep it up. You are almost there!
thanx getting closer,finished remasking everything. cant just spray the next layers of clear over the 1st mask the edges get too thick and it makes it hard to peel. cant wait too long to unmask it either youll run into problems.cant just use hardware store (tan color)masking tape either that stuff bleeds through in places leaves residue from the adhesive on your rubber gaskets and can peel off hard. nothings worse than trying to unmask something and the tape keeps ripping so you gotta peel it an inch at a time.the tape im using is from 3m/scotch might be a little more expensive but makes a world of difference, peels off nice/good lines. i wont use anything else anymore.hopefully i can trick myself into wet sanding the cab today.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #132
2fat2fly

Truck is looking awesome man
2fat2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #133
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2fly View Post
Truck is looking awesome man
thank you sir,
Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #134
jpnh

Bed back on.got enough clear left to flow the hood out one last time.gonna need more. gotta get the wood back in/get all the bolts in, reinstall the tail pan,steps,fenders,bumper,lights gotta keep motivated.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #135
aotte1

Jeff,
It is looking really good, can't wait to see it all, out in the sun. Not much going on for me, need the truck back. Reported that it will be back being worked on next week at the body shop.

All kinds of old convertibles out cruising here today.

Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #136
jpnh

got the braces/wood/bed strips /gas filler, back in(still gotta find the right bolts for the gas filler w/counter sink heads)gotta get all the bolts in there lined up with nuts washers/lockwashers on them. before you tighten anything up.cant bolt the bed down either gotta leave it so you can slide it back to get the row of bolts that line up with the crossmember would certainly be easier using a lift.i used some big ass washers with a small hole on the back of the carriage bolts that didnt line up with the braces. the ones that did line up with the braces needed flat washers with a smaller outside diameter to fit in between the u of the brace. they dont come with the bolts.getting good at balancing the 2 washers(the flat then the lock washer) and the nut in between two fingers and getting them up inside the brace and getting them on the bolt. i also used the old peice of paper in the deep well socket/small extension trick on a few the paper keeps the nut right at the end of the socket so you can start it on the bolt, i use my dolly.(the one for pounding out dents.)to sit on top of the bolts to keep them from popping out when you go to start the nuts on the bolts. unless you have a trained spider monkey that hangs out in the bed and pushes down on the bolt when it pops out as your trying to start the nuts.i coated all the bolts with anti-seize too,in case i have to take it back apart again.the stainless hardware is much better than the cheaper bolts.the cheap ones start rusting instantly.next i have to install the tail pan again.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #137
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
Jeff,
It is looking really good, can't wait to see it all, out in the sun. Not much going on for me, need the truck back. Reported that it will be back being worked on next week at the body shop.

All kinds of old convertibles out cruising here today.

Les
Thanx Les on my bed i drilled out the bolts on the side angles that the bolts are fuzed in there and the angle itself is spotwelded to the bedside(because they were all breaking off) so i was able to slide the wood under the angle and then drill the holes in the wood to slide carriage bolts thru. i was watching a re-run of that show "trucks" the other day and how they got around takeing the angle out, they made a notch/slot in the wood that slides under the angle next to each bolt so they could get the wood far enough under the angle so the bed strips line up in the grooves when you install the wood i figure you might need to do the same trick when you install yours.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #138
aotte1

Jeff,

Thanks for the heads-up on the bolts in the angle at the bottom of the sides. I was kind if thinking of something like what you mention, had not figured out specifically how to do it. I did mark the angle bolts location on the side boards , when the painter was working on the bed. I should be able to router a slot off my marks, for the bolts like you suggested, then slip the boards under the angle piece. This certainly will be a lot easier.

Picture of angle and bolts to help explain discussion to non steppers, what we go through, I certainly did not fully understand before having one, the work involved. If you like the look, definitely worth the effort.
Thanks,
Les
Attached Images

Last edited by aotte1; 06-08-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Better picture
Old 06-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #139
jpnh

tail pan back on gonna re install lights(taillights plate light)then the steps/fenders/braces getting closer.-jeff
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #140
jpnh

sooo close now gotta keep going
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #141
rip2174

Looking very good
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #142
aotte1

2nd that, great work. You Have to feel really good. I am still in body shop limbo, probably for another two weeks at least. Hopefully then I will be position 1. To wet here to paint car in front of me, plan is for it to go home next Saturday.

Going to any local car deals this weekend to show it off?
Les
Old 06-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #143
Hankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
sooo close now gotta keep going
Lookin GOOD!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #144
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip2174 View Post
Looking very good
thanx
Old 06-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #145
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
2nd that, great work. You Have to feel really good. I am still in body shop limbo, probably for another two weeks at least. Hopefully then I will be position 1. To wet here to paint car in front of me, plan is for it to go home next Saturday.

Going to any local car deals this weekend to show it off?
Les
thank you Les im gonna putt it around here and there thats my goal coming up to find a few places to fit in and get it out there.(sposed to rain) there is a local car get together that i want to hit. they moved it from a place down the street from me to the next town over must have needed more room(been saying that for a while) also would like to hit some shows at the new england dragway again. needs some refining/rubbing before the paint is completely "show quality" although its cool like it is to me, youll get ragged if you put it in the show un rubbed .im kinda at a stopping point ran out of clear/cash. its motorcycle weekend here coming up. i have a bike i built(with much help)over the last few years (another labor of love) i have to get out there with that this year too. uh oh now i have to start getting out there with these rigs and be social stead of just working on them.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #146
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
Lookin GOOD!
Thanks Hankster
Old 06-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #147
jpnh

back out there/ just got gas and took a couple victory laps.got all the lights workin again. gonna have to search for the right patch of sun/location/digital camera(takes better pix than my phone ive been using)to get better pix gotta get the full effect of the paint. i guess thats my goal coming up. gotta find the right spot.found an led tailgate brakelight/taillight/blinker (goes across the bottom of the tailgate) i ordered a while back. gonna wire that in before i nail the wiring for the brakes/signals with heat shrink connectors.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #148
jpnh

before and after
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #149
naphtali5725

great transformation, looks killer, great job man