The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #626
TKCR

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered 77 View Post
TK, which do you think is the better design of the frames? The early seat frame with the S style spring or the later design with coil type springs.

Rick
The 73-80 seats, hands down. Those seats are built like tanks. The frames are heavy and the springs are a lot thicker. Usually the only thing that ever needs repaired on these seats, are the “end springs”. But I thinks it’s because from the factory, there is only 1 end spring per side. There are provisions for 3 per side. That one little end spring just wasn’t going to take the abuse of someone’s body weight right on the end of the seat, when you go to get in the truck. Almost every seat has broken or missing end springs. And I find even more seats, where someone else has redone the seat, and they do all kinds of these, EXCEPT replacing the broken springs with new ones. So when I restore the seat, I install 2 end springs per side.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 11-02-2021 at 09:03 AM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #627
TKCR

The 81-87 seats, GM definitely did a cost down on these seats. Don’t get me wrong, they are still good functioning seats, it’s just the metal for the seats frames are much thinner. I have a lot more things that need repaired when it comes to the 81-87 seats. I find cracks in the seat bottom frames. If they are just small hair line cracks, they get reinforced with welds. If the cracks are too bad, then the frame gets trashed, and there have been quite a few like that.
GM half a$$ed the welds on the seat backs. I find numerous seat backs, where the weld has broken, so the back bar has broken loose from the hinge. These all get welded back way better than GM ever did on these, lol.
Then there’s the springs & grid. These get stretched, broke or just missing springs. Again, I repair all this. What can’t be repaired, gets replaced. I have to chuckle to myself and shake my head when someone is selling an old seat, and they say, the frame and springs are GOOD. No they are not. All this stuff rears it’s ugly head once the seat is stripped. Most of this is hidden from the naked eye, so until the seat is stripped, you won’t see most of the things I just mentioned. Missing or broken coil springs, yes you’ll notice that if you turn you seat over.
And I need to mention, that frame in the first pic, it was trashed. I was just too rusty and beyond repair.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 11-02-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #628
Hammered 77

Thanks TK. The 73-80 seats came in 2 versions (correct), a custom deluxe cheaper seat and a high end version. Was there any difference in the springs or was it just in the foam?

Rick
Hammered 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #629
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks TK. The 73-80 seats came in 2 versions (correct), a custom deluxe cheaper seat and a high end version. Was there any difference in the springs or was it just in the foam?

Rick
There was the Full Foamed seats and the Poor Mans foam. The poor mans foam is the cheaper version. It was more springs, and just a thin layer of foam. I have only had on seat that was a poor mans foam. From that point on, if I ever ran a crossed another one, it stayed where I found it. They are just not a desirable seat at all. Same frame, it was just the foam.

Last edited by TKCR; 11-02-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #630
Hammered 77

Thanks, next question, have much difference in the thickness of the poor mans foam and the thicker foam?
Old 11-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #631
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks, next question, have much difference in the thickness of the poor mans foam and the thicker foam?
The full foam is like 7”s. Poor mans foam, maybe an inch.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #632
Hammered 77

So if you put the poor mans foam on instead of the thick it would give about an inch of extra head room.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #633
TKCR

Quote:
So if you put the poor mans foam on instead of the thick it would give about an inch of extra head room.
No, it doesn’t work that way. You can only use a poor mans foam on that frame. The springs are up closer to the top of the seat.
The full foam frames, the springs are down towards the bottom of the frame, to accommodate the thicker foam. And only a full foam can be used.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #634
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
No, it doesn’t work that way. You can only use a poor mans foam on that frame. The springs are up closer to the top of the seat.
The full foam frames, the springs are down towards the bottom of the frame, to accommodate the thicker foam. And only a full foam can be used.
And the two foams are totally different from each other. And the poor mans seat, they don’t tilt forward. They are fixed seats. Most of the full foamed seats are tilting seats.

Last edited by TKCR; 11-02-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #635
Hammered 77

I want a tilting seat but need extra head room, so I need to find a frame and take it to a shop for a custom built seat.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #636
TKCR

Quote:
I want a tilting seat but need extra head room, so I need to find a frame and take it to a shop for a custom built seat.
The 81-87 seat would probably be the best bet then. I’ve had several people want the 81-87 seat, because they felt like it gave them more headroom. The 73-80 seats are more “beefy”. It’s all a preference thing. Everyone is different, and they want different things for whatever reason.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #637
TKCR

Rick, I sent you a PM
Old 11-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #638
Hammered 77

I sent a pm back
Old 11-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #639
TKCR

Another road trip today for some more core seats.
1- 81-87 BenchSeat
2- 73-76 Crew Cab Seats. Front seat had been recovered, but they got the buttons off location🤦*♀️. Rear seat cover is original, and in pretty decent shape. But they are still getting stripped for repairs & restoration. The 81-87 seat definitely needs some repairs.
Last weekend I went to Michigan and brought home 4 seats cores. But I forgot to get pictures of those.
It’s been a long day, 3 hr trip one way. So I’m going to sit and watch the recorded Ohio State Buckeye game. GO BUCKS!
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #640
TKCR

I’m happy the weather is holding out, supposed to be nice all week. I have quite a few frames to get sandblasted & repainted, and then put away in the seat shed.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2021, 01:05 AM   #641
Warrens69GMC

Business looks like you are doing well.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #642
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Business looks like you are doing well.
Actually the seatbelts probably keep me the busiest.
I just have to make these road trips from time to time, whenever the seat cores become available to purchase. I try and coordinate getting other seats in the area. I was getting pretty low on seat cores.
Then it’s just a matter of getting them home to be stripped, repaired and repainted and put away in the seat shed. That way, when I do get a request for a seat, the biggest portion of it is done already. I’m trying to get it to where there is hardly any wait time, when someone wants a seat. I keep the most popular cover colors on hand.
With the gas prices going up & up, that’s a big hit. Had to fill up twice with yesterday’s trip
Old 11-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #643
blazer2007

where do you get the plastic washers for the hinge part of the seat and what is the orientation of them. I have some that are flat and some a sleeve type washer.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #644
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
where do you get the plastic washers for the hinge part of the seat and what is the orientation of them. I have some that are flat and some a sleeve type washer.
Not quite sure what your asking about. Can you quote the specific thread/post, so I can see what it is.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #645
blazer2007

I didn,t think I worded it right ,I will take a pic
Old 11-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #646
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I didn,t think I worded it right ,I will take a pic
In my brain it made sense lol
Old 11-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #647
blazer2007

Found my washer, only one. Was wondering where they go on the tilt arm from the upper seat arm or am I missing some and where to get them
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #648
blazer2007

forgot a arrow
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #649
TKCR

The washer goes between the upper seat arm and the seat bottom. It acts as a protection for the vinyl on the seat bottom, from the seat arm tilting back & forth. I usually just clean up and reuse the old ones. But not every seat instrip down has them.
So I have bought a box of those washers, to use when I don’t have any of the originals to use. They are the exact same size overall, and the hole opening. But they are slightly thicker. I could not find replacements as thin as the originals. I can send you a couple of the new ones. Just PM me your address. Otherwise you can just look around at your local hardware stores, you might find something close.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #650
blazer2007

thanks , I wasn,t sure if there was 2 per side ,one on the fabric side and one between the the hinges. Thanks for the offer but I,m sure can snoop in the bins at H. depot and find something.